Thread: How do you get a GF4 up that high??

Question How do you get a GF4 up that high??

How do you guys get a GF4 4600 up to 390/780 range?? What would I need to do to get my 4600 up that high? Is it just water cooling or do you need to do something more? I'd appreciate a little tuturial from someone who has, or knows how to, a GF4 card overclocked by that much. The best i can get my Gainward Golden Sample to do is 325/710 (without any artifacts). I'm going to be building a second computer soon with another 4600 so I'd like to know what I need to do+buy to get my system running that quick in 3dmark!

Xtreme Legend
    first off, dont look at artifacting when you're benchmarking. As long as it doesnt crash or deteriorate your score thats fine. my Gainward gives me small visual corrutions in windows from around 750 MHz memory, but it runs the nature test at 810
    for the other tests I clock it down to 796. You need some luck with the memory on your card, basically...

About the GPU : you need it very cold and overvolted ... water/pelt or phase change combinations to get that thing to 0C or colder temps. Also note that this is just to run benches... I dont think anyone here runs their card very high when they're not benching ...

I understand what you're saying about the artifacts...

Can you elaborate on how to 'overvolt" a card?
    What's a "pelt"?

What kind of water cooling system is needed for this type of thing? Would one of those Koolance systems with case, cpu, HD, and video coolers (around $370) do the job for this type of thing?

You guys here actualy count 3DMark scores with artifacts? You don't play the games that way so how can you consider that a fair evaluationof peak performance . I hope it's just JC and not all the rest of the team or anything . I think that would be a major disapointment .
    FIC AD11
    AMD Duron 1Gig / 266 FSB , 9x @1195
    PNY G4 MX440 W/ Rivatuner @ 285/450 , 5083 Clean 3DMARK w/ Det, 29.80
    256 meg DDR2100
    40 Gig Seagate Barracuda 4
    20 Gig Quantum fireball
    32x10x40 CD-RW
    12x DVD
    Santa Cruz sound card
    XP Pro + Plus!

Xtreme Legend
    Treblig, at this point it looks like 3dmark benching (for me atleast)is more like racing a tweaked car. You tweak and push it to the limits and see how fast it can possibly go. The car may take some damage at a sharp turn (==minor artifacts) but it keeps on going You run it too fast to the curve and it will crash.

THe settings (OC, image quality, let alone the 1024*768 rez.) people are using at the top ranks of the ORB (no matter what video card or CPU "class") are not for 24/7 gaming usage thats for sure. You don't play games w/ image quality set to "best performance". Also you don't need the "racing car performance" for everyday usage do you?

things were a lot less complicated w/ my good old ELSA GF3 (312/660) though. that was cos that card wouldn't artifact no matter what I did. If I OCed it too high it just crashed / locked up on me. I wish these cards were the same

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by macci

(312/660) though. that was cos that card wouldn't artifact no matter what I did. If I OCed it too high it just crashed / locked up on me. I wish these cards were the same [/B]
    my g4 does the same just crashes or locks up but it wont clock half as much as some of the clocks that are spoken of

Xtreme Mentor
    I've not tried benching w/ artifacting yet

kool.....some more new points

majormav,
    hope you don't mind me borrowing/modifying your avatar idea
    E8600. EP45-UD3P. 500FSB 24/7. Still WinXP. Heatware

Well I'm not the smartest guy around and it's not realy a question of that , I guess it's just standars . I write at Guru3d also and when they post scores it's with no artifacts , or atleast they all say they are clean scores . So it's just a little disapointing to me that I am here to learn from some guys that OC somewhat different and more successful and the 3Dmark scores are so high but , tainted from my point of view . If that is your standards here thats ok just was a little shocked . Have a good one .
    FIC AD11
    AMD Duron 1Gig / 266 FSB , 9x @1195
    PNY G4 MX440 W/ Rivatuner @ 285/450 , 5083 Clean 3DMARK w/ Det, 29.80
    256 meg DDR2100
    40 Gig Seagate Barracuda 4
    20 Gig Quantum fireball
    32x10x40 CD-RW
    12x DVD
    Santa Cruz sound card
    XP Pro + Plus!

Xtreme Addict
    majormav,
    hope you don't mind me borrowing/modifying your avatar idea [/B][/QUOTE]
    no probs m8 would be a good idea for most of us then we would know who has what chip

Xtreme Mentor
    hehe, if only every1 could take such a small detailed pic

i know i have to borrow my boss's digicam to get this kinda detail so close...mine just won't zoom that well
    E8600. EP45-UD3P. 500FSB 24/7. Still WinXP. Heatware

Originally posted by Treblig
    Well I'm not the smartest guy around and it's not realy a question of that , I guess it's just standars . I write at Guru3d also and when they post scores it's with no artifacts , or atleast they all say they are clean scores . So it's just a little disapointing to me that I am here to learn from some guys that OC somewhat different and more successful and the 3Dmark scores are so high but , tainted from my point of view . If that is your standards here thats ok just was a little shocked . Have a good one .

Everyone who competes on page 1 has to deal with artifacting, at that level of competition we are pushing our cards to the limit and that includes some artifacting. Its something we cannot avoid and if it gets too bad it will actually hurt the score.

I now run my machine @ 3Ghz full time 24/7 but my video card is set around 320/740 well into safe territory when not benching.