Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel plans dual socket Quad FX competitor: Skulltrail

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hopefully Intel actually uses some of their lowest wattage, high performance processors.

AMD uses TWO 120+w processors together, for decent performance...if they'd come out with high clocked 65nm parts (everybody knows how those 3600+'s are clocking), for Quad-FX, things could be quite a bit better. Try even 2.8 GHz dual cores. ~89w tdp. I'm pretty sure AMD could do such a thing. But why don't they? Even if it would require hand picked processors...it would be worth the extra ~60w they could save.

Simple: there isnt really a market for it.

Now when is somebody going to put an F3 Windsor or a Brisbane on a single stage? :p
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16gb @ stock
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: Evga GTX 1080 FTW, Coil Whine edition
    PSU: Corsair RMi 650w
    Cooling: Please don't remind me. Corsair H115i w/Arctic P14 PWM fans.
    HDD: 970 Pro, 860 Evo, WD 1tb 3 platter drive (12 years old?!), etc.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    I have been using QuadFX for what... about two months and half now. I can tell you this... My power bill literally doubled....

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by alucasa View Post
    I have been using QuadFX for what... about two months and half now. I can tell you this... My power bill literally doubled....
    I'm sorry to hear that . Well someone has to pay the bill.

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by FLG_Poncho View Post
    Huh? Care to explain that cause I'm really not following.
    Apparently he thinks you're striking a nerve.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I blame you for global warming
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I blame the cows in your sig for global warming Anyone know if there are limitations within the LGA775 chips that keep them from being using in DP setups? I know that Core Duo chips can be used in DP motherboards as there are a few available that'll run dual Yonahs, are the limitations just based on the chipset? Since FB-DIMM is serial rather than parallel, I'm guessing a 975x or 965P chipset would be necessary to operate with non-FB-DIMM DDR2? Dual 975x chipset somehow linked + 8 mem slots + 64 PCIe lanes? Quad-Crossfire anyone?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    I blame the cows in your sig for global warming Anyone know if there are limitations within the LGA775 chips that keep them from being using in DP setups? I know that Core Duo chips can be used in DP motherboards as there are a few available that'll run dual Yonahs, are the limitations just based on the chipset? Since FB-DIMM is serial rather than parallel, I'm guessing a 975x or 965P chipset would be necessary to operate with non-FB-DIMM DDR2? Dual 975x chipset somehow linked + 8 mem slots + 64 PCIe lanes? Quad-Crossfire anyone?
    There is no limitation for LGA775. Since its the same FSB.
    Remember the old days with dual Celly? Its an artificial restriction. Just like 8/2xxx opterons vs X2 series or 1xxx opterons.

Intels might end up being LGA775. Since they seem to restrict their future chipsets in some of the "dual" way. But we will have to see, it could just aswell be LGA771.

And no dissing the cows!
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    I'd be all over a dual C2D with DDR2 and not FBDIMMs. I've been working on a AoE and md RAID for Windows port - we've seen a VANILLA E6300 @1.86 with DDR2-800 rape (literally) 5148 @ 2.33 with FBDIMM-667 by a margin of 40%. Not small at all I doubt many other programs would get as big performance boost going FBDIMM -> DDR2, and I am happy this Woodcrest/FBDIMM is only for development of such drivers and not actual use^^
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Rack Freak
    FBDIMM and Registered rams exist in order to have more RAM slots than their desktop counterpart, I believe. An ordinary ram (unbuffered) cannot sustain themselves after 4 slots.

In other words, FBDIMM may not have speed advantage of unbuffered ram, but they exist to increase ram density. It is quite common to see servers with 8 ~ 16gb of ram. Unbuffered ram cannot do this without failing and errors.
    That's why they are called server hardwares.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

YouTube Addict
    FBDIMM and Registered rams exist in order to have more RAM slots than their desktop counterpart, I believe. An ordinary ram (unbuffered) cannot sustain themselves after 4 slots.

In other words, FBDIMM may not have speed advantage of unbuffered ram, but they exist to increase ram density. It is quite common to see servers with 8 ~ 16gb of ram. Unbuffered ram cannot do this without failing and errors.
    That's why they are called server hardwares.
    Actually it depends on the number of Channels you have. A single set of traces have electrical limits (depending on termination) For example DDR2 allows for more Dimms per Channel than DDR but not remotely as many as FB-DIMM or DDR3
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Does anyone know, if skulltrail is gonna have DDR2/3 or FB-Dimm. What about the size, ATX or EATX?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I would bet that there will be both ddr2 and 3 versions and every dual socket board I have ever seen have bee EATX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12