Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man has 7 xbox360's fail?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think 7 is a little bit high but i have seen lots of 360's fail and heard about people that are on the 3rd or fourth (matt at ign is on his fourth i think). There is definatly something wrong with the 360's be that in components or their users lol. Im waiting to after this christmas to see if 360s or PS3's are more reliable and that will get to sit next to my wii.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200..._machines.html

I'd say microsoft has a problem here, wouldn't you agree?
    More like that guy has a problem. Microsoft builds a fine console
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Addict
    At my school there are about a dozen kids who play Gears of War on Live together. Of our little group 3 have had Xbox problems from day 1 while the rest of us have been fine. I'd say the fail rate on the 360 is substantially higher than on the original Xbox, or any other console I've owned.

EDIT: Just go on eBay and look for an Xbox 360, you'll find hundreds of dead 360's up for sale
    Last edited by HiJon89; 04-16-2007 at 07:07 AM.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Guys...There's 1 to 2 million faulty xbox 360s...

http://www.wii60.com/336/microsoft-a...-fault-in-360/

So, where are you getting this 1-5% fault rate? That's a 10-20%, and that's just off consoles that kill discs and commit suicide, which is what mine died. The red ring of death isn't included in those numbers, so you figure you're looking at a 25 - 30% failure rate here.
    Last edited by DilTech; 04-16-2007 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A friend of mine has gone through 4 of these consoles already...

consoles suck, i'll stick to my pc!
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz (183x21)
    Gigabyte EX58-DS4 BIOS F5
    3GB PATRIOT PC3-10666 DDR3
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512MB BLACK
    2x500GB SEAGATE SATA-II 7200.11
    OCZ GameXstream 750W PSU
    Antec Three Hundred Chassis

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Look, some people even here have gone through several of the same mobo/GFX, and the companies have fixed the problems over time... I'm sure MS is doing the same and the fail-rate will, or already has gone down...

Best Regards
    Silverstone RAVEN RV02|
    Core i5 2500K@4.4GHz, 1,300V|
    Corsair A70|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty|
    Corsair Dominator DDR1600 4x4096MB@DDR3-1600@1.65V|Sapphire HD7970 3GB 1075/1475MHz|
    Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD SATA-II, WD Caviar Black 2x1TB SATA-II 32mb, Hitatchi 320GB SATA-II 16mb|Silverstone DA750 750w PSU|

Xtreme Addict
    7 wow, thought someone else went through 6 or something like that and MS was giving him a hard time about it.

Question comes to be, how does he have the console setup. I don't care if people say its fine where it is, these suckers need ventilation. I know 6 people that have X360 here at work, and not one of them has any issues, and surely there is more that have them here.

It was probably a bad batch, weather it was first runs or them switching some things to get cheaper to make on the console side to reduce some costs. Either way in time they will be less of them.

Majority of them have heat issues which the thermal paste looses contact with the heatsink/die and it overheats and causes issues. Its a fixable, and have seen a few people around the web do this to suppositly dead X360's.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Member
    I know about 4 ppl with a 360 and 2 of them ave had to get it repaired...

Xtreme CCIE
    If a person has that many go on them, I would personally be extremely concerned about things like the quality of the electical wiring of their house. It just seems to me that this takes it beyond mere coincidence, yet I will also agree that the 360 has a high failure rate.

Perhaps the electronics in it are more sensitive to line noise than most other devices? I've seen issues like that with some electronics lines, usually high-end stuff.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    I dunno.. ok, so he's renting these out to people from a video game center in his town.. so god knows what happens to them.. I guess I could see this as being more likely then someone buying Xbox 360 after Xbox 360 and getting a bad unit each time.. plus tons of the early release units had all sorts of overheating and crashing issues.. and he says he did get four of these at zero hour.. so while it does seems very far fetched, after reading this and thinking about the early release unit's problems, I think it's possible.. just not probable..
    Last edited by revenant; 04-16-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Gigabyte x58 UD5 / core i7 920 @ 3.8 / 6G ddr3 / 100G Patriot Inferno + 500G WD / gtx470 SLI watercooled / x-fi / 1KW enermax / 5760x1080 surround

Gigabyte z68x-ud3-b3 / core i5 2400 @ 3.6 / 8G ddr3 / 120G Intel 510 + 120G Adata S599 + 2x 1T WD blue / Zotac gt430 / x-fi / 500w ocz / 1920x1200
    DFI pro875B / pressy 2.8 / 2g corsair xms pro / 6800gt agp / 150g raptor x / 500w ultra x-connect / lots of UV lighting / smiles
    MSI K7N2 Delta-L / Athlon xp2600+ / 1G ocz platinum / chaintech TNT2 / 2x Diamond Monster 3D II SLI / Audigy / more smiles

Xtreme Addict
    Guys...There's 1 to 2 million faulty xbox 360s...

http://www.wii60.com/336/microsoft-a...-fault-in-360/

So, where are you getting this 1-5% fault rate? That's a 10-20%, and that's just off consoles that kill discs and commit suicide, which is what mine died. The red ring of death isn't included in those numbers, so you figure you're looking at a 25 - 30% failure rate here.
    errr while techinchally there are 1 to 2 million faulty 360's but why didnt you mention what the foult was?

To save some trouble i will type it for you.

1 to 2 million 360's are missing component in the DVD drives lense, the foult that couses DVD's to crack not overheat/die.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict
    i dunno ... i mean i see a lot of people with EVGA 680i died , and yet some people bleame the users for their fault?? wtf
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

Xtreme Cruncher
    Doesn't like, the XBOX360 have super crappy cooling and a power supply that is barely enough to keep the system going?
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
    Doesn't like, the XBOX360 have super crappy cooling and a power supply that is barely enough to keep the system going?
    I haven't heard much about the PS3, but my guess is that these problems are a result of how graphically demanding next-generation games are. Previous consoles like the N64 and Super Nintendo were hardly graphic powerhouses, but these days consoles are putting out visuals that can rival and sometimes even surpass PC's. I think the problem is that consoles have basically become budget PC's, using ultra-low quality parts and cutting costs whereever possible, so you end up with the quality and reliability that you would expect from a $400 PC.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Member
    The 360 will scratch up the discs pretty badly: If the disc is spinning and you change the orientation of the box from vertical to horizontal, or vice versa.

If you put the 360 inside an enclosed space it will overheat, just like your PC.

If you don't use a surge protector, spikes may kill it.

My xbox 360 works just fine.

Xtreme Member
    I've had about 5 fail for me. This is not suprising.
    Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD mATX w/ HDMI
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR/G0
    Buffalo Firestix 2x1GB DDR2-1000
    Razer Barracuda AC-1
    Apevia X-Qpack2 Black & 420w PSU
    Stock Intel HS w/ 92mm fan

Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    errr while techinchally there are 1 to 2 million faulty 360's but why didnt you mention what the foult was?

To save some trouble i will type it for you.

1 to 2 million 360's are missing component in the DVD drives lense, the foult that couses DVD's to crack not overheat/die.
    It also causes the drives to die over time... I'd know, I had one with the faulty drive. It no longer reads discs, and you should see the number it did on DOA and Gears of War.

Anyway, on to the people who're still questioning this....

Allow me to ask you guys something...

Microsoft's xbox1 was a loss leader last generation, as it never did turn a profit. Due to this, microsoft had to completely change their strategy this round, which is now nickle and diming, as is evident by them finding every little thing they can charge you for, and over-pricing it there, like a $100 20gb HD, a $90 11 Mbps usb wireless network adapter, or ~$50 for a 64mb flashcard, or xboxlive as a whole. Right?

Why would they raise their warranty from 3 months to 1 year if there wasn't something seriously wrong here? Think about that for a second. A company that's trying to get every dollar out of you they can this generation(ever looked at some of the premium downloadable content?) making a move that costed them millions just to announce, and even refunded the people who already had paid to have their consoles worked on.

Does this sound like the microsoft we know? Do you firmly believe microsoft would set themselves to lose that kind of cash if there wasn't a problem beyond a shadow of a doubt?

Just think on this for a second before responding...
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It also causes the drives to die over time... I'd know, I had one with the faulty drive. It no longer reads discs, and you should see the number it did on DOA and Gears of War.

Anyway, on to the people who're still questioning this....

Allow me to ask you guys something...

Microsoft's xbox1 was a loss leader last generation, as it never did turn a profit. Due to this, microsoft had to completely change their strategy this round, which is now nickle and diming, as is evident by them finding every little thing they can charge you for, and over-pricing it there, like a $100 20gb HD, a $90 11 Mbps usb wireless network adapter, or ~$50 for a 64mb flashcard, or xboxlive as a whole. Right?

Why would they raise their warranty from 3 months to 1 year if there wasn't something seriously wrong here? Think about that for a second. A company that's trying to get every dollar out of you they can this generation(ever looked at some of the premium downloadable content?) making a move that costed them millions just to announce, and even refunded the people who already had paid to have their consoles worked on.

Does this sound like the microsoft we know? Do you firmly believe microsoft would set themselves to lose that kind of cash if there wasn't a problem beyond a shadow of a doubt?

Just think on this for a second before responding...
    Wait wait wait...
    Why would they raise the warranty time on a faulty product?? Wouldn't that mean they will lose MORE money, as more faulty ones will roll back in during warranty? Yet you call them penny-pinchers...
    And where did you get the info that MS didn't make money on the first Xbox?? AFAIK they made quite a bit on games...
    Color me confused
    Silverstone RAVEN RV02|
    Core i5 2500K@4.4GHz, 1,300V|
    Corsair A70|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty|
    Corsair Dominator DDR1600 4x4096MB@DDR3-1600@1.65V|Sapphire HD7970 3GB 1075/1475MHz|
    Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD SATA-II, WD Caviar Black 2x1TB SATA-II 32mb, Hitatchi 320GB SATA-II 16mb|Silverstone DA750 750w PSU|

Quote Originally Posted by DTU_XaVier View Post
    Wait wait wait...
    Why would they raise the warranty time on a faulty product?? Wouldn't that mean they will lose MORE money, as more faulty ones will roll back in during warranty? Yet you call them penny-pinchers...
    And where did you get the info that MS didn't make money on the first Xbox?? AFAIK they made quite a bit on games...
    Color me confused
    They raised the warranty because they had to... Because it was beyond the 1-5% fault rate, and they knew it. That was my point. There was threats of big class action law-suits, and the sheer bad press(which is still ongoing) of the faulty systems, they did it because they had to silence them somehow. They did it because they know the system has a problem.

As for microsoft never turning a profit on the xbox... I thought this was extremely well known?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154809.html

The xbox division was literally just a history of never-ending red ink.
    Last edited by DilTech; 04-18-2007 at 12:37 PM.
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

I am Xtreme
    im on my 4th one.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme X.I.P.
    im on my 3rd, and i only play about 10 hours a month. I have a room that is a constant 68-72 degrees and the xbox 360 is located in completely open environment on a hardwood floor. The 360 is always treated with care and is not abused. The power supply is about 6 inches to the left of the 360, also only drawing in cool fresh air.

Cant say I abuse my 360, and mine still broke, and so has many others.

My brother has two, both broke, sent them off to be repaired, one of the refurbs he got randomly locks up, so he has to send that out. Same situation, as "adult gamers" nothing is abused, or even used all that much.

Microsoft will never reveal the failure rate of xbox 360's and has stepped up the customer service aspect of repair to help keep a lid on how bad the failure rate really is... which i think is a crime. People have a right to know what they are getting into before they buy a ~400+ dollar investment. Now that I have all the games, etc it doesnt make sense to jump ship to PS3 (though it is tempting).

The product itself is good, just not when they break.

I plan to eBay my 360 premium within the next few days and pick up a xbox 360 elite in an attempt to get a more reliable system.

Anyway, my point being... I think there is a rather high failure rate just from reading the news.

1) Microsoft says all 2005 manufactured consoles are under warranty, OBVIOUSLY there is something seriously wrong if they just announce this
    2) Then, Microsoft extends all other xbox 360's to 1 full year from 90 days
    3) Now, Microsoft is paying shipping both ways, even giving you a box to ship your 360 in

Now, whatever their original failure rate expectation was, they figured 90 day warranty was good enough. However, in an attempt to do damage control and not piss off their user base they have done all these things to keep their customers happy (which is a good thing). The reality is, many more consoles are failing, otherwise MS wouldnt have taken these steps.
    Last edited by irev210; 04-22-2007 at 02:13 AM.
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

I am Xtreme
    now, with the advent of the Elite unit and also latest rev's of mobo's
    the cpu is epoxied down to the PCB.

why did they do this ? why ?

i think anyone who has done any serious research into the core of the red ring of death knows exactly why they did it.

the mfg flaw behind the red ring of death is that the bga soldering is flawed.
    atleast 2 of the corners of the cpu actually become disconnected from the solder and thus the red ring of death.
    this is the same thing as removing a pin of a cpu and installing it, you have about a 98% chance the unit isnt going to run.

so, the epoxy is there to hold the cpu to the bga.

the tards at xbox scene are laughing at it, when the reality is, its a fantastic fix.
    obviously they cant fix the flaw of the insane heat generated by the triple core Apple G series CPU.
    they could have easily increased the air intake by having better flow from the side vents.
    they could have easily added a 50mm fan to the cpu heatsink.
    they could have easily redesigned the heatsink as that single heatpipe doesnt do anything

but they didnt do any of that, they went to the first thing that causes the red ring of death, the lifting of the cpu from the bga...

so lets keep our fingers crossed that the new rev of mobo's have this and it works.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    now, with the advent of the Elite unit and also latest rev's of mobo's
    the cpu is epoxied down to the PCB.
    So the Elites definitely have this done to them? I'm hoping to pick one up.

Btw, what happened to your Asus P5N-E SLI?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think he isn't getting new Xbox360's each time.
    He just got 6 Refurbished ones.

Xtreme Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast