Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Antec 430w TruePower: Any way to Vmod this ??

Antec 430w TruePower: Any way to Vmod this ??

Hi, I'd like to raise the 5v and 12v lines on my Antec 430w TruePower, does anyone know how to go about doing this? I haven't found any obvious potentiometers when opening it up. thx!

rms
    rsquires@flash.net

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i thougt its on the back side of the psu...

Banned
    there are no pots on the antec truepowers...

My truepower is a good unit, but I'm bummed that it has no trim pots to tweak the output. Does anyone have links to forums that talk about PSU tweaking or that give model numbers that are adjustable? thx!

rms
    rsquires@flash.net

Xtreme Member
    Ya, Im curious about this too as my rails are a bit low at 4.9 and 11.9.
    1700+, 8RDA+, TwinMOS BH-5, ATi 9800 Pro, WD 100GB 8mb, Antec TruePower 430w, Black Chieftec Dragon

Antec True480 over here, and I'm curious too. I'll post if I find any info but so far I haven't had much luck in my search

Xtreme Legend
    Its very easy... there are sensor cables on your atx connector, you have to cut them and put rezistors over there, ill post some diagram later.. its very easy and effective

That makes so much sense, and soo much easier than opening up my PSU

Could you identify which pins are sense?

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge."
    ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881), Sybil, 1845

Xtreme Member
    hoho , i 'm waiting with impatience berkut response

Xtreme Legend
    ok...

no blue prints, ill just tell you how to do it ;]

on your atx connector cable are high power 5V, 3.3V and 12V cables and one of these cables (one of them) will be doubled, one will be very thick and the second one will be thin... the thin one is a monitoring cable, you have to buy a high power resistor which can be regulated, dunno the needed resisstance.. Now you cut the signal cable, set the resistor to 0ohm's and solder it there... than start your computer in the hardware sensors page and start increasing the resistance... VERY SLOWLY... this should work but if it doesent ill post some more info... ok, i gotta get some sleep...

We need more info. The wire sizes are all the same, and this is too important to make stupid guesses on.

rms

Xtreme Member
    As far as I understand, and what i'v seen , U have 1 thick and one thin wire for 3.3V , 12V and 5V

I made that for ppl who don't really know the colour, but we still need the Power/Dimensions of the variators

Have sweet dreams berkut but come soon for us :taost:

Xtreme Legend
    Yea, your blueprint is correct

The question here is what value and wattage rating to try for the series resistors placed in the sense lines. If you assume a .4v drop across the resistor (assuming they just do a simple voltage drop reading), and .1mA current (who knows what's correct) in the sense line, that gives a value of 4kohms.

The power consumed in this case is negligible, so if all this is correct a standard 10turn 5kohm trim pot should do the trick. So what values are people using?

rms
    rsquires@flash.net

The ATX 1,2 spec has a lot of info:

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...x12vPSDGV1.pdf

The only mention of sense line was on 3.3v though:

The +3.3 VDC output should have provisions for remote sensing to compensate for excessive cable drops. The default sense should be connected to pin 11 of the main power connector. The power supply should draw no more than 10 mA through the remote sense line to keep DC offset voltages to a minimum.
    I don't really know how you would determine what resistance or wattage to use.
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge."
    ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881), Sybil, 1845

Xtreme Member
    well i'm considering to get 3 10turns variators of 100ohms or 1kohm (the lower the sharper you will regulate the rail)

btw, i think that all 10turns variators get about the same wattage tolerance (i hope so)

anyone who did the mod. can confirm ?

Xtreme Legend
    I cut my 3.3V sense wire and soldered a 10ohm fixed resistor there (I tried w/ 220ohms first but PSU didn't like about that idea ). Then I grounded this 10ohm w/ 1kohm VR.
    So now the 3.3V can be adjusted by lowering the 1kohm value.

Pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3vsen.gif 
Views:	10391 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	1452  
    Last edited by macci; 07-19-2003 at 12:02 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Thx macci, i ll try it as soon as i ll have enough time

thx for all others who helped here.

Any advises for the resistor value for the 5V rail ?

Regards.

Xigfrid

Xtreme Addict
    Very interesting indeed.... see sig

Ok, I'd like to avoid having a separate pulldown resistor, and just use a single inline resistor. Has anyone tried this? I'd imagine its effectiveness would depend on the impedance of the voltage sensing circuitry, and how much current is flowing in the sense line.

rms

Xtreme Member
    inline resitor would not work properly : you need a voltage lowering, that can be done by 2 impedances ( though, u can consider to use only 1 variator, all 3 legs connected as below :

1 => ground
    2 => to PSU thin line
    3 => voltage rail you must fix (thin line)

Btw , i will avoid any trouble by applying 1 impedance of 62 ohms to 3) then a variator used as single variable impedance on 2)

I think PSU need at least a little current to work properly that the variator would not be able to feed

Xtreme Legend
    Actually something like 10ohm fixed with 1k VR is better for that 3.3V Vsen. The higher the fixed resistance is set the more the voltage fluctuates for some reason (200ohms was way too high and 60ohms is also a bit too high).

How are you people physically arranging the pots and resistors on the cable? Having 6 resistors and pots hanging off the power cable has got to be a godawful mess. I'd like some tips on making this mod a little more aesthetically acceptable!

rms
    rsquires@flash.net

Xtreme Member
    Hehe , thx to all !

I ve done the 3.3V mod only and now i'm getting Vdimm rock stable on a NF7-s rev2.0 and reaching few more Mhz on FSB

I did use a 15 ohms resistance + 1K var. as macci suggested

It seems to me that on the nf7-s anyway, that the 3.3v and 5v are the most important ones.

3.3v because I've noticed after doing a Vdimm vmod that I can't get beyond about 3.2v, and I figure this is because the memory voltage regulator is hooked up to 3.3v.

5v because I've read that the Radeon videocards use 5v for their main power, and that raising this made a large difference in the overclockability of the card.

12v doesn't seem useful to me. I figure they resorted to using this mainly to relieve load on the 5v lines for power to the cpu.

rms

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast