Thread: Vista Shuts Off Hard Drives??

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

Vista Shuts Off Hard Drives??

after about 10 minutes or so, my back up hard drives shut down.
    now the drives have all been scanned recently (about a week ago) and all is fine as far as the drives themself goes.
    I also havent had any problems with these drives on XP64, which I just replaced today for testing reasons, and use Vista 64 now...

however, now my back up hard drives are being shut down after a few minutes of no use.

I got so tired of trying to figure out whats going on, that I took a spare hard drive, set it up... booted up the OS, and waited for the "Click-Whirrr" sound that normally would happen when a hard drive and PC are shut down.

sure enough, even with my spare hard drive, it shuts the drive down after about 10 minutes.

so I've confirmed this happens with 3 different drives so far...

a 400 gig western digital, a 500 gig western digital, and 160 gig seagate.

all drives are fine, and work like normal under XP and such...
    however in vista, it seems to be clock work. 10 minutes and it shuts down the back up drives.
    I mean, physically click off.

try to access them, and they "whirrrrr" back on, as if the PC was booting them up, and about 5 seconds later, they become accessable.

what is this?
    I've never seen this...

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Member
    I think the same thing happens to me, cause when I boot up Vista, I always hear that, but now that I've booted up XP and been using that lately, I don't notice anymore. I thought my drives were bad, but it seems perfectly fine now. That's weird....
    Conroe Q6600 G0 w/Tuniq Tower at 3.6ghz 1.45vCore 401FSB
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R
    2 GB Patriot DDR2 800 @ DDR2-1000 2.3V
    Thermaltake Armor Full Tower
    OCZ Gamestream 600W
    46" Samsung LCD 4665F
    8800GTS
    Logitech LX710 Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
    Seagate Barracuda 320gb and 500 gb
    1 TB WD+Maxtor

Xtreme Addict
    Check your power saving settings. If thats not the issue, then ya got me.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznik Akime View Post
    Check your power saving settings. If thats not the issue, then ya got me.
    ftw...
    Quote Originally Posted by Call me Ugly
    This lead to the unfortunate incident regarding the family dog spilling my beer.. rest in peace Lassie.. rest in peace.

Xtreme Addict
    dodgy nvidia drivers?
    i know if i use the "mediashield" sata drivers from the official 15.00 set (v9.31), my drives spin down no matter how the power options in vista are set.
    those drivers also add an extra 20 seconds or so to my boot time because the drives spin up and down before vista reboots and then seem to take longer to spin back up again as the pc posts
    i950 (3035B684)
    Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
    3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800 7-8-7-24
    HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC
    Asus Xonar DX
    128GB C300, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's
    Corsair AX850W
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Egyptian OverClocker
    AFAIK it is a new option M$ thought that it will be useful for users to shutdown their hdds after being idle for sometime, which was one of the main factors why i went back to XP
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SaFrOuT View Post
    AFAIK it is a new option M$ thought that it will be useful for users to shutdown their hdds after being idle for sometime, which was one of the main factors why i went back to XP
    why not just turn it off? Vista lets you change the power profile and change nearly every setting within each profile. Why not just tell it not to turn off the drives?
    Asus P5k DLX
    C2Q6600 G0
    4365 mhz - 485 x 9 @ 1.68v(Bios) 1.65v w/droop
    2G Patriot 8500 EL at 5:6 1164 5-5-5-15
    TT Toughpower 750,
    1 x Raptor, 1 x 250G WD2500KS
    BFG 8800GTX OC 600/1800
    Custom Single Stage Phase

Xtreme Member
    As mentioned in some of the above posts, go into advanced power settings and disable hdd standy mode.
    BREAKING NEWS For Friday 26th June 2009: Casper the friendly ghost was molested in the early hours of this morning!

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    My test vista's kill one of my 20 Gb :d

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by big poppa pump View Post
    As mentioned in some of the above posts, go into advanced power settings and disable hdd standy mode.
    as mentioned above, changing the option made no difference on my 680i
    i950 (3035B684)
    Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
    3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800 7-8-7-24
    HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC
    Asus Xonar DX
    128GB C300, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's
    Corsair AX850W
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Xtreme Addict
    changing the option in advanced power settings fixed it for me. I posted about this a while back when i had the problem and also posted the solution...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=123731
    7820X | Asrock X299 Taichi XE | Gigabyte 1080 Ti Xtreme | 32GB Memoriez | Corsair HXi1000 | 500GB 960 Evo

Xtreme Addict
    kunaak, i must admit im surprised by you! lol
    This lead to the unfortunate incident regarding the family dog spilling my beer.. rest in peace Lassie.. rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by mnewxcv View Post
    kunaak, i must admit im surprised by you! lol
    why?

I havent seen anything in vista yet about having to send my hard drives to sleep... and its not a feature I've ever seen in XP...
    my time with vista is literally about 10 days total before I got sick of it last time. so my experience with it is very limited, and my experience with XP I've just never had this issue, so I dont even know if XP has this feature, never looked for it, never will... cause it's not something I will ever want to use.

if my computers on, I want my hard drives to be on.
    hearing them clicking on and off, just makes me paranoid of increasing it's likelyhood of failure.
    its probably psychological, but I just dont like hearing my hard drives randomly clicking on an off. if my PC is turned on, I want the hard drives on, plain as that.

so I found the settling and disabled it, hopefully this does the trick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hard drives.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	57671  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    yeah its a feature in xp, but it isnt enabled by default. im not sure why someone would choose this instead of standby or something? I personally only use turn monitor off after 5min. hope that solves your problem for ya, good luck with vista.

Xtreme Member
    I'm too surprised about Kunaak

It'd be interesting to know if a functionnality like this implemented now by default in Vista has results on world power saving.
    Comp 1 : NCASE M1, Asus Z170I PRO Gaming, Intel i7-6700K, G.Skill 2x4Gb 3466MHz, Samsung 950 Pro (512), Samsung 840 Pro (256), WD Red (5TB), Asus nVidia GTX 980 4Gb, Silverstone SX600-G, LG 34UM95
    Comp 2 : Commodore Amiga 4000D, Cyberstorm MK2 68060 50Mhz 128Mb, Cybervision 64 4Mb, FastATA MK-VI, Indivision AGA MK2cr
    Comp 3 : Commodore Amiga 600, Vampire 600 V2 128Mb, Indivision ECS, 32Gb CF

Xtreme Addict
    It's an XP feature too. Just turn it off if you don't want it. Hell you can set up an entire water cooling system over a course of days, but 2 min to go to a screen and turn off a feature and the world comes to an end?

Having had laptops and desktops I'm always tweaking the power saving. I just set it for a very long time, but in case we happen to go out of the house and I forgot to turn things off, they go off by themselves unless they are supposed to be on 24/7.

With the whole energy star program I'd bet a lot of manufacturers of everything, software and hardware are under the gun to make energy saving the default.

Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    It's an XP feature too. Just turn it off if you don't want it. Hell you can set up an entire water cooling system over a course of days, but 2 min to go to a screen and turn off a feature and the world comes to an end?

is there some reason why you feel the need to be insulting, or do you just not happen to read my posts before making comments?

how many ways do I have to say... "I've never seen this feature before" before you actually listen?

incase, you dont actually read my previous posts, before trying to insult me...
    read this, since, its basically the same thing I said a week ago.

I've never seen this feature before, never needed it, never saw it.
    I didnt even know such a feature existed till I started messing with vista again.

seems you should have known that, had you read my posts before this one...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmmm... I set my hard drive to shut off after 10 minutes (I have XP) but Vista does it automatically? Wow that's disturbing/surprising...
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

give this guy a break ffs . You cant possibly expect a single person to know absolutely everything. He proly knows more about other stuff that you do, and what you find complicated he finds easy.

Kunaak i had the same problem in XP, everytime i restarted, the HDDs would switch off and it would take sometime to turn them back on during POST. I never figured out what it was, and no guys, it wasnt the power options.... After i reinstalled OS it disappeared without me doing anything..

so if the power configs do not work then it might be a bug in the OS or maybe BIOS.
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme BIOS 1639
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz
    2 x GTX285 SLI
    1 x Agility EX RAID0
    1 Samsung 1TB HD
    Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E
    Motherboard SB-NB-Mosfet and CPU-GFX watercooled

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3R0-CooL View Post
    give this guy a break ffs
    QFT.

Knowledge is fluid, it changes, it moves, and it doesn't apply to everything, and most importantly it comes from experience. If you expect someone to know everything about something they've never seen before "just because", then you haven't been around computers for very long :p Give him time, he'll be so pro at Vista even Mac users will ask for help.

Slightly on topic, I actually turned this feature on with my Raptors in Server 2K3 the other day. The problem was that the hard drives would turn off, then disappear from My Computer, and not turn back on again, ever.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Isn't the constant starting and shutting down of hard drives bad for the drive?
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Xtreme Mentor
    Turning any component off and off slowly kills it.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |