Thread: How much to upgrade a mini

Xtremely slow runner

How much to upgrade a mini

Hello everybody,

I've been out of the computer world for so long that I don't even know what it's going on now. Anyway, I think it's time to upgrade my core solo mini to something a little bit better.

I don't want to shell out thousands on that machine and I'm trying to know what are the good prices and choices to make. Also what priorities, should I upgrade the cpu first or add memory or change the hdd?

I saw an offer for a T7200 used for 210e is that a good price? Can I get a better deal on it?
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Av by Frisch This is not a Lime tree

Yep, find a good price on a dual Merom core.

You can also upgrade the memory while you are in there. There is a black wide near the speaker that controls fan speed, remove it for high speed fan.

No need to reload or make any settings, all will be recognized automatically.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Member
    If you don't already have 2GB, add more RAM. 2x1GB of DDR2-667 RAM should be <$150US. More likely <$125US. With my iBook going from 512MB to 1.5GB was the best move ever.

Xtremely slow runner
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Yep, find a good price on a dual Merom core.

You can also upgrade the memory while you are in there. There is a black wide near the speaker that controls fan speed, remove it for high speed fan.

No need to reload or make any settings, all will be recognized automatically.
    What is a good price ? Any clue if I'm looking to shop in the US? I didn't find anything in the sale section here, use to have more choice before
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Xtreme Member
    Id say just get the cheapest Merom out there.

You wont see any difference in response time from a T7200 compared to a T7600G, unless of course you are doing encoding or lots of prolonged processing.

200$ish I'd guess for a low end Merom

Check out newegg.com
    Intel QX8950
    Asus P5K3 Deluxe Super WiFi
    Cell Shock DDR3 PC3-3049504
    2 x 2900XT 2GB Saphire
    Antec 350W

Xtremely slow runner
    Just bought a T7200 for 200€, jst need to open the mini open and switch it

Now I need to think about adding a gig of ram and a new HDD, any ideas about that? Is it better to have a 160 5k4 drive or a 100 7k2? I just wish I could find a 160 7k2 drive

ps I'm actually thinking of putting my 120 5k4 drive from my macbook into the mini and put a 7k2 drive in the macbook but I need the space too :-S