Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yayy!! another dead P5N-E SLI

I am Xtreme

yayy!! another dead P5N-E SLI

ok well my 1st P5N-E SLI was running jsut fine and then for no reason wouldnt boot, no post beeps no post, just the hard drive light stayed on.

now my 2nd one which was running just fine and dandy has just gone and done the same thing.
    no post
    no beeps
    hard drive light stays on even when all the hard drives are unplugged.

needless to say i fear what MAY have done it was increasing the vdimm to 2.3v
    now granted that isnt much for vdimm, but that is exactly what happened.
    i increased it, rebooted, wouldnt post
    powered off, waited 10 seconds turned it back on, started to post then got stuck at the memory timings section of the post.
    and not she wont even do that.

ram is fine i am testing it now in my NF-M2 and all is good.

so......

anyone else having the phantom deaths of the P5N-E SLI ?
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    perhaps it has something to do with the unlinked fsb:mem? maybe its choosing a divider it really doesnt like. im not sure though.
    im about to buy a p5n-e lol, so ill keep an eye out for it randomly dying.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

I am Xtreme
    well i could see that and its possibly killing the north bridge but,, ehh.. i dont know.
    all i did was jack the voltage up to 2.3 and reboot and was then gunna increase the ram speed.

im gunna leave it power down totally while i jack around with my brisbane and then try again in a littl ebit but this is the same thing as before, resetting cmos, removing battery, nothing works
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Legend
    good time to try the new P965 DFI hhehheheheh
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

I am Xtreme
    not when i have to buy it.

i really like the P5N-E SLI, its the only board thus far that let me run 4-3-3--9 with my gskills. but i didnt have the gskills when i had my P5B or P5W DH

only the gigabyte, evga, this baord and the NF M2, oh and the dfi AM2 MTR/G

i just tried powering her up again and nothing she's dead...

no warning, nothing... just dead.. sounds strangely familiar,,, ie; F-i90HD...

Heat Ebay Feedback

Yes I had dead P5N-E SLi and my friend is the same only after 1 week. I think so 2.3v vdim2.3v cause dead for mobo. May be this is a bug of 650i?
    To Lestat: what bios are using for P5N-E SLi my mobo is dead when I am using 0505 and set vdim2.3v. Now at 0401 all thing work well. what is your vNB?
    Last edited by lionheart; 04-07-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, I always read about people having problems with this board, but I've had mine for a little over a month and haven't had any problems.... even ran 2.3v on my ram for benching.

Xtreme Member
    This board fakes death well, leave it alone for 3 days :p

Quote Originally Posted by 775911 View Post
    This board fakes death well, leave it alone for 3 days :p
    Are you sure about that . If that right it is very funny

my first one lasted a week, all at stock except vdimm, 2.2v, all run fine untill no bootup, no warning at all, dead.
    onto my second one which i got yesterday, installed and booted fine, again all stock except vdimm , ran for few hours, upon many restarts, bsod, will boot up, wont load window, very strange.

just clear the bios and keep it turnt of for like 5 min i had some problims with no boot schrean and hangups @ settings @ the bios but use the 0404 bios this one give's less problims i had this like 6 time's with ocing @ 3.6 and 3.4 but after i reset it and put the setting's on somting a bite saver
    Rig 1
    CPU: I5 750
    Mobo:Asus p7p55d
    Ram:1x buffalo 2gb 1800mhz cas 7
    VGA:9800gx2
    PSU:Coolermaster 550w
    HDD: 1x 250gb and 1x320GB Sata
    Cooling: coolermater tx3

Rig2
    CPU: celeron d 340 @ 3,5 ghz
    Mobo:intel 865
    Ram: 2gb a-data
    VGA:GF 7600gs

Xtreme Member
    Gotta agree that the P5N-E loves playing dead. Sucks to hear you're having such issues with it lestat, especially since you've been managing such nice clocks. Considered sticking an HR-05 on the NB of the next one to see if that keeps it alive a bit longer?

Mines chugging along fine but vdimm is only 2.1

Xtreme Member
    Well I had one that wouldnt boot for about 12 hours. I didnt reset the settings
    on purpose because the ram is iffy about only 1.8v, eventually it remembered it wasnt broken. Took about 50 reboot attempts of various sorts.

My only crime was turning it off for 15 mins after an error message had appeared. Always make sure its happy before you put it to bed or it may wake up dead Im sure theres a famous rhyme about that

I am Xtreme
    My old one died. It would power up than shut down 3 seconds later no matter what was done.

I am Xtreme
    see you guys are saying "having so much trouble"
    thats just it i aint having all this trouble lol , so to speak.
    i havent had any troubles with it yet. just this death lol.
    infact i have been loving this board to death...

after resetting the cmos over night i turn it on this morning and now the cdrom goes click click click as it tried to engage the head.
    unplugging the ide cable cured that.
    but the hard drive lights still stay on and i dont even have the hard drives plugged it.

i've swapped out my other memory, and done everything else and nothing.

and to whom ever that was who asked what bios.
    it came with 0304 on it and i have not had one single reason to update it yet.
    been running strong since then.

on a side note, i got a friend to buy one for himself at fry's and he said he is getting zero droop... ... wierd could asus have fixed the droop ?

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    It's a long shot, but for me I had noboot after CMOS reset, and a fair bit of messing around with the power supply on and off; so I flipped the SLI card and changed the memory slot and it started up again. It worked, not sure why, but it worked. Might be worth flipping the SLI card.

I am Xtreme
    nothing works

thanks for all the tips and helps gent's. she's smoked.

i did check for voltage on all the pwm stuff around the ram, just incase the ram voltage was way out of spec, and oddly enough every one of them read 1.2v
    pretty odd,,,, really odd....

cpu was 1.3v which proved resetting the cmos worked, but she just dont do anything other than power on.

for anyone wondering about how hto the NB actually gets?
    i took off the heatsink just for kicks, and the thermal concrete pad under there had gotten so hot is crystalized. meaning i took the tip of a razor and just flaked it off.

thats hot...

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    ok well my 1st P5N-E SLI was running jsut fine and then for no reason wouldnt boot, no post beeps no post, just the hard drive light stayed on.

now my 2nd one which was running just fine and dandy has just gone and done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    see you guys are saying "having so much trouble"
    thats just it i aint having all this trouble lol , so to speak.
    i havent had any troubles with it yet. just this death lol.
    infact i have been loving this board to death...
    Selective memory? How many dead ASUS boards does it take to qualify as 'trouble'?

Xtreme Member
    ..sorry, I don't mean to poke you when you're down - seriously sorry to hear about your trouble.

Xtreme Addict
    Didn't you have active cooling on the NB?
    As like 1 extra fan or something...
    Sorry to hear about the board dying... hope mine won't die soon
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanki View Post

Selective memory? How many dead ASUS boards does it take to qualify as 'trouble'?

where do you come up with selective memory

ive seen very few of these board have issues or deaths.

@garret
    yup i had a fan on the nb and i dont think i've ever seen it hit 50c
    it wasnt the NB temps.

the one and only thing that changed was the vdimm.
    and i've ran 2.3v plenty of other times.

if anything happened the bios was belly up. cuz the board has been running great since i got it, not one single hickup.
    Last edited by Lestat; 04-08-2007 at 08:46 AM.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    I havn't counted, but it does feel like there are a fair few people with mobos that had to be returned in the P5N-E thread. Personally I'd say from what I've read that these things do seem to have a higher than average failure rate. For £75 though, these are supurb motherboards.

I am Xtreme
    actually if you look thru the thread there are very few people who have dead boards. (unless i have missed something in recent posts)

most of the issues people are having are coming down to lack of knowledge of the new nvidia chispets and lack of overclocking knowledge.
    overvolting things like that.
    or people who are just expecting the baord to perform miracles or are thinking just cuz they have a conroe they think its going to be an overclocking god.
    im the only one with that kind of chip lol j/k.

i mean lets be real here your talking to the biggest Asus hater in this forum, i despise them and their products.

this board has to be the first one of MANY that has exceeded my expectations, and wasnt expecting much, i really only got it for SLI.
    and it was cheap.

i cant fathom the idea of paying 200-250-300 for a motherboard that doesnt do a damn thing better than this $140 board, infact i have seen countless numbers of more expensive board not be able to do what this board and lower ones like the DS3 can do. or at a minimum they can hang with it.

hell even my eVGA 680i couldnt hold a candle to this board.
    and i cant evenbegin to lsit the number of issues i had with that board, compared to the ZERO issues i have had with this one.
    not included the phantom death(s).

it doesnt bother me that it died, it bothers me that it died for no reason.
    and even more so that asus has been so retarded as to solder the bios chip to the board.

they are known for having corrupted bios's and having to replace bios chips, so now instead of sending out a 10 cent bios chip they have to entirely replace the board.
    Last edited by Lestat; 04-08-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Cruncher
    That sucks man. I run mine at 2.35v vdimm all day and haven't had a problem yet. Time will tell I guess.

I am Xtreme
    my ram only needs 2.2 volts.
    Last edited by safan80; 04-08-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast