Thread: What are the fastest hard drives??

Overclocking Guru

What are the fastest hard drives??

What are the fastest hard drives these days.
    I want to set 2 up in Raid-0.
    What should I get?

Thanks,

OPP

I am Xtreme
    150gb Raptors still the fastest, AFAIK, but Seagate 7200.10's are very close on read times, thanks to the higher platter density. There's been a thread or two on the seagates tho..seems some of them are using different firmware, and are not quite as fast.

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    150gb Raptors still the fastest, AFAIK, but Seagate 7200.10's are very close on read times, thanks to the higher platter density. There's been a thread or two on the seagates tho..seems some of them are using different firmware, and are not quite as fast.
    Do you know what is quieter ?

OPP

Overclocking Guru
    I just read this review.
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q2...0/index.x?pg=1

Looks like the Raptor still rules yet is still the loudest.

OPP

Xtreme Member
    Well there isnt a big difference at all

Here is my raptor raid0 (74gb 8mb cache)

Here is my WS caviar SE16 500gb

There very close

Core 2 Duo E6400 l EVGA 680i A1 l Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500 l XFX 8800GTS l WD Caviar SE16 500gb l Tagen Turbojet U96 900w

HD Tach means very little, sorry.

Until you compare the two in real world performance, you can't get a good idea. The Raptor will smoke *any* 7200rpm drive on the desktop and anywhere else, simply because its access/seek times are much quicker.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    I got no real difference. Windows doesnt load but a sec quiker.

Core 2 Duo E6400 l EVGA 680i A1 l Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500 l XFX 8800GTS l WD Caviar SE16 500gb l Tagen Turbojet U96 900w

I am Xtreme
    Totally depends on the controller...irregardless tho, nothing beats the raptor.

When it comes to performance/noise...I pick the seagates...simply because I can get almost a TB of space for the same cost as teh raptor...less noise, more redundancy, less heat. Even fanless my seagates on open desk haven't topped 68c by SMART, even after transfering 320gb drive image in to RAID 1+0.

My 16MB drives seem far louder than the 8MB drives...dunno why.

really tho, when cost is no option Raptor's installed inside a full enclosure can be quiet enough that it doesn't matter.

Overclocking Guru
    Well I'm going for a pair of Barracuda's, the only reason is the 150 raptors cost alot, bummer.

OPP

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    @oppainter .....I just got my first WD 74gb Raptor from the Egg about a month ago and actually I am quite suprised how quiet and cool running it is, seeing how I have heard all of these horor stories over the years about the Raptors Attributed with heat and seek noise. My raptor is one of the new revisions with the most current firmware and generally it idles at 34c with a ambient temp around 72F just with a fan blowing over it and I have had 80gb Hitachie Sata II that were deffinately disturbingly LOUD but not the case with this Raptor!
    Actually I will be buying another because I am so pleased with the speed and how cool and quiet it runs and I will be getting a Areca Raid controller to thor these bad boys on so I can see what they can really do!

Campbell
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Mentor
    i also got a raptor a 36Gb ADFD and its just as silent as most of my other drives.

i got a maxtor diamondmax 11 wich makes a load of noise compaired ot the raptor.

so im guessing that its only the old GD revision of the raptor that is so loud.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me