Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Made Case U2-UFO "Replica"

Xtreme Guru
    AussieJester all i can say that your ufo replica is one high quality build, one of my favorite projects here in XS. can't wait to see it finished.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Wow....you sure have put a lot of time and effort into your build !

and it really shows.....!

Nice work, can't wait to see the final product

Xtreme Member
    Cheers for the positive comments fellas much appreciated. I have another update to do but before I do I best let members here know I have withdrawn from the OCAU modding comp. Two reasons behind this but the main one is ineligibility due to breaking the $AU200 budget limit for modz in the comp. I am ~20 bucks over it and still require a good 30-40 bucks worth of stainless steel caps screws to complete the assembly. Yes I could have skimped and gotten by just to make the budget but its not the way I like to do things, I like to to the job once and do it well, I see absolutely no point making sacrifices to win a small competition (would be different if there was prizes of value on offer though :-P ) Obviously I will still be finishing the case so for those following this worklog don't stress should see it complete sometime over the weekend now i don't need to rush it :-) OK then--->

Update

Fine weather today allowed for the spraying of the metallic silver enamel. I firstly taped up the case so as the inside didn't receive any 'unwanted' over spray before letting fly with the Protec enamel-->

Click here for full size pics

This protec paint is fantastic stuff, industrial paint usually used in the motor vehicle body building industry, it is extremely hard wearing and very fast drying, it is touch dry in under 5 minutes and additional coats can be applied upto 4 hours after initial coat (after which 24 hours drying time is required before additional coats) The case has now had a dust coat and 4 heavy coats. I also took a close up of the paint to help show better the metallic flek in it which can't really be seen in the above pics-->

I will let this dry for 24 hours now before hitting it with 6 or 7 coats of 2Pak clear gloss, this will then be cut and polished. Unfortunately the above pics don't do justice to the colours, IMO its fantastic and really gets 'set off' by the matt black interior.

Thanks again for the kind words, I shall be back with another update tomorrow ...

Ciao for now people ;-)

Xtreme Member
    Looking absolutely fantastic mate - I'm going to go and rub my cleaning cloth a bit harder over my U2 to make myself feel better
    MM U2-UFO Opti-1203 (Black)|Swiftech MCP655|2xSwiftech MCW60's|D-Tek FuZion|ASCeramique|EK Multioption RES250|Thermochill PA120.3|Scythe SFF21F's|Pentosin|Tygon 3603 1/2" ID|Zalman ZM-MFC1
    ASUS Striker Extreme|Intel Core 2 Duo E6600|2x1GB Corsair C4Pro|XFX 8800GTS|Gainward 8800GTS|4 x Seagate 320GB HDD|Vantec Ez-Swap Drive Bay|1 x Maxtor 300GB HDD|Silverstone 850W
    Samsung SyncMaster 21" 215TW|Benq 17" FP791 with TV Tuner|Cherry CyMotion Master Solar Keyboard Wireless|Logitech Z-5500D Speakers|X-Fi Xtreme Music
    TrackIR4 Pro|Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS & Pro Flight Rudder Pedals|Z-Board Fang|Logitech MX-1000

Bring on Crysis
    Project "CUBEIT"

Xtreme Mentor
    great work!

I like it more then the u2fo, and you get propls for making it
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
    Looking absolutely fantastic mate - I'm going to go and rub my cleaning cloth a bit harder over my U2 to make myself feel better
    You have a damn fine case yourself they(UFO cases) are the reason this worklog exists! I would happily pay what you did for one IF i had the money unfortunately my disability support pension doesnt 'pay' very well LoL

Quote Originally Posted by teyber
    great work!

I like it more then the u2fo,
    Thanks mate appreciate that :-)

Update

Just a small update today fellas really due to a comment made in another forum this worklog is also on. It was mentioned the colour was nice but not as 'shiny' as my usual finishes, I reminded the poster that it was only the base coat and had clear to follow. The first of half a dozen coats went on yesterday & i took the following picture to show it will have some shine....ALOT of shine hehe-->

This is untouched straight off the gun, it will be sanded today lightly with 1200 grit wet and dry allowed to cure again then painted with another heavy/"wet"coat of 2Pak clear gloss tomorrow (weather permitting)

Back soon :-)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieJester View Post
    You have a damn fine case yourself they(UFO cases) are the reason this worklog exists! I would happily pay what you did for one IF i had the money unfortunately my disability support pension doesn't 'pay' very well LoL
    Great job Jester, silver = my fav case colour

I'm in the same boat as you re disability pension and not getting the 500 bucks everyone else got has me steaming
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Guru
    very nice color, it really compliments the black interior.

Xtreme Member
    This is untouched straight off the gun, it will be sanded today lightly with 1200 grit wet and dry allowed to cure again then painted with another heavy/"wet"coat of 2Pak clear gloss tomorrow (weather permitting)

Back soon :-)
    Perth Forecast
    Issued at 11:20 am WST on Saturday 2 June 2007

Warning summary
    Nil.

Forecast for Saturday
    Fine. Light to moderate E/NE winds.

Precis: Fine.
    City: Max 21

Forecast for Sunday

City: Min 8 Max 21

NO EXCUSES Need a picture of the 2-pak finish - I believe it will be fantastic based on your workmanship skills.
    MM U2-UFO Opti-1203 (Black)|Swiftech MCP655|2xSwiftech MCW60's|D-Tek FuZion|ASCeramique|EK Multioption RES250|Thermochill PA120.3|Scythe SFF21F's|Pentosin|Tygon 3603 1/2" ID|Zalman ZM-MFC1
    ASUS Striker Extreme|Intel Core 2 Duo E6600|2x1GB Corsair C4Pro|XFX 8800GTS|Gainward 8800GTS|4 x Seagate 320GB HDD|Vantec Ez-Swap Drive Bay|1 x Maxtor 300GB HDD|Silverstone 850W
    Samsung SyncMaster 21" 215TW|Benq 17" FP791 with TV Tuner|Cherry CyMotion Master Solar Keyboard Wireless|Logitech Z-5500D Speakers|X-Fi Xtreme Music
    TrackIR4 Pro|Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS & Pro Flight Rudder Pedals|Z-Board Fang|Logitech MX-1000

Bring on Crysis
    Project "CUBEIT"

Xtreme Member
    Perth Forecast
    Issued at 11:20 am WST on Saturday 2 June 2007

Warning summary
    Nil.

Forecast for Saturday

City: Max 21

Forecast for Sunday

City: Min 8 Max 21

NO EXCUSES Need a picture of the 2-pak finish - I believe it will be fantastic based on your workmanship skills.
    ROFL just good enough not meant to spray 2Pak when temps under 20 degrees i have been told ;-P Be more the point of if im not to hung over have the lads over as i type this just finished doing our best to eat a paddock of cowz and half a rain forrest think we keep ol Jim and Jack in business sometimes :: hiccup:: hehehe do ma best though mate ;-) :: buuurp :::

Xtreme Member
    ROFL just good enough not meant to spray 2Pak when temps under 20 degrees i have been told ;-P Be more the point of if im not to hung over have the lads over as i type this just finished doing our best to eat a paddock of cowz and half a rain forrest think we keep ol Jim and Jack in business sometimes :: hiccup:: hehehe do ma best though mate ;-) :: buuurp :::
    hmmmmm, steak & bourbon of-course, on a bbq
    When I come over for work to Perth next I will drop in and eat some of your wonderful culinary delights

Bring on Crysis
    Project "CUBEIT"

Xtreme Member
    hmmmmm, steak & bourbon of-course, on a bbq
    When I come over for work to Perth next I will drop in and eat some of your wonderful culinary delights
    You wont believe this but my brother rang up (out of the blue) haven't seen or heard from him in MONTHS and he's on his way up for few drinks and another barby this arvo LoL Let us know when your in the West mate and we can catch up for a drink and chat no probs at all, met a few people I have met on the forums...LoL including my now ex-wife LoL

Update

I cut the first coat of 2Pak gloss back with 1000 grit and have applied another 'wet' coat -->

Will be same routine tomorrow, another very very light sand with 1200 this time as there isn't any 'orange peel' to speak of, before repeating with more gloss, I want this looking like you can dive into it when its finished IMO its well on its way...

Back soon folks :-)

Xtreme Addict
    Dammit Jester I'm going to have to paint my Tj05 internals black now after seeing yours and how good it looks grrrrrrrr

Its in pieces ATM as I'm putting the rad 'up top'
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Member
    Damn,
    I just wet myself, the paint job is looking very nice indeed.

You wont believe this but my brother rang up (out of the blue) haven't seen or heard from him in MONTHS and he's on his way up for few drinks and another barby this arvo LoL Let us know when your in the West mate and we can catch up for a drink and chat no probs at all, met a few people I have met on the forums...LoL including my now ex-wife LoL
    Sounds like barby heaven at your place Yeh thanks mate, I will give you a hoy when I'm over next - which is at any time as we seem to have installation works happening all the time over there..

Bring on Crysis
    Project "CUBEIT"

very nice

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice job there m8

Xtreme Guru
    f*cking excellent job there mate... im really digging the paint job, and the case itself looks awesome..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Come on! Less slacking more working!

I'm looking forward to seeing the result of this. Hence why I actually had to search threads made by you!

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Xtreme Member
    HAHA ah Mekrel I have been trying to save some $$$ for new PSU for the case as I want to get all the wiring done next, you shall be one of the first to know when i have that aforementioned psu and wiring is underway...as is case is finished awaiting components ;-)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What PSU are you going for if you dont mind me asking?

I'm wanting to go for a single rail Silverstone Olypia 750w, going to buy off performance PC's as they custom cable braid stuff. Did a hyper PSU around 3 years ago, do able but very hard I found.

My PC343B build is coming along now. Designed a pump holder and it's been laser cut. Should be ready some time next week.

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekrel View Post
    What PSU are you going for if you dont mind me asking?

)
    Undecided at the moment, when I have some dollars together I'll start to get a more serious about choosing, that said I do like the Corsair 620watt unit and the price for me is within easy reach, I would also drop a Enermax Galaxy DXX EGX1000EW in a heart beat if i can afford it, this would ensure a lil 'future proofing' for a few months :-| ....doubt this will happen though, my limited finances are already divided between my pc gear and r/c Helicopters...the choppers winning of late LoL...damn gravity.

Xtreme Mentor
    Getting a Corsair this week. It's much more convieniant than my Tagan. Modular and 150mm long helps in a tight case.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how you treat your rad fan holes in this build. There's not that many silver cases with rad grills around. Heaps of black builds with grills on top and front but not many silver, paint or brushed al. My build has a top mounted PA120.3 and it's holding me up atm. Don't like the chrome grill against brushed al much. I'd use three wire grills but it'd take cutting good neat holes or look crummy.
    Those choppers are bloody addictive.
    Up at 7AM this morning? hee hee
    Worth it to see red and blue on the podium but would've liked to see Rossi on the same tires. Then we'd have had a three way battle instead of an aussie walk over.

Xtreme Addict
    I'd buy the Hx620 ASAP Jester as PLE wont have too much stock and they (Hx620) usually sell pretty fast

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedda View Post
    Up at 7AM this morning? hee hee
    6.55 actually TV on channel 10 ;-)

would've liked to see Rossi on the same tires.
    GOD NO! Nobody would see which way he went :-| Heaven forbid he gets a lil patriotic and decides he wants to ride for Ducati he would be unbeatable.

Casey Stoner and Chris Vermulen did Australia proud today, If Casey stays on the bike he will take the World Championship this year I believe, regardless whether Yamaha find some more speed when they fit nematic valves for more HP over the mid season break... He has won and been competitve on all track types in the dry and wet, yes he has the best race package but lets not forget the tank full of ability he has, critics/commentators have finally realized to its not JUST the bike that sees Casey on the top of the World Championship ladder ;-)

Then we'd have had a three way battle instead of an aussie walk over.
    meh...I don't mind watching a couple of Aussies battle it out for 1st 2nd and 3rd In fact, with a bit of luck Ant West will work his way to the pointy end of the field ;-) Aussie 1 2 and 3 maybe :-P

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne
    I'd buy the Hx620 ASAP Jester as PLE wont have too much stock and they (Hx620) usually sell pretty fast
    Cheers for the info ;-) although it doesn't affect me, I rarely buy anything local (outside of wholesale) other than blank dvds , everything is either from the east or overseas ;-)

Xtreme Addict
    Same here but very little stock of the HX620 AU wide

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast