Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Made Case U2-UFO "Replica"

Looking good. Question though, the back panel has the PSU, then a single fan hole at the very bottom... Bunch of empty space there. Are you leaving room for a second PSU? I would personally cut another fan hole so you could fit a PA120.2 back there in case you get dual WC loops. Just an idea
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Looking good. Question though, the back panel has the PSU, then a single fan hole at the very bottom... Bunch of empty space there. Are you leaving room for a second PSU? I would personally cut another fan hole so you could fit a PA120.2 back there in case you get dual WC loops. Just an idea
    Yes it is for a second psu (in the future...been toying with cutting the hole now and puting a plate over it with a 80mm fan in it for the time being...) and there is also a radiator going where the 120 fan hole is for the loop that will cool the custom watercooled 6 bay HDD caddy i shall be making in a few days time, I believe I had already mentioned that earlier in the worklog :-) I picked up a second mcp-655 pump during the week for $AU80 for the second loop fella was selling all his h20 gear he had bought but never fitted, he had a 240 rad to but i didn't have the cash or it would have been earmarked for that panel instead of the 120...hella over kill I know..
    Last edited by AussieJester; 04-06-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Update

I have spent HOURS making a new bracket to mount the radiator. The old one I had made for previous case wasn't up to scratch, it was 'butchered' and will now be a frame for a filter :-)

I have loosely fitted it all up for a few snaps for those interested in this build, please note it is all still to be etch primed and painted in gloss black...the thumbscrews are your standard run of the mill variety as per used on cases, I have simply cut the thread off drilled and tapped them with a 3mm tap. (incidentally-those seen on other parts of the case have had their threads cut off also and 3mm steel rod inserted into them and held in place with liquid weld.)

Click here for full size pics

A MOUNTAIN of filing went into both the bracket and filter frame honestly must have spent a good 3 hours on these two items, I am happy with them now though. I will be using the usual material some of you have seen in the past ie. filter material as per used in mig welders, i'm not sure of the micron rating suffice to say i have been using it for a few years now and it is simply BRILLIANT! Unfortunately it is also white and i have to dye it place before fitting it or it will stand out like dogs balls LoL. Fan wiring must also be re-routed to the other side...

FINALLY will get the plexi surrounds happening in the a.m tomorrow...Thankfully i have a PILE of 10mm plexi offcuts i picked out of the bin at PolyTech Plastics..

Back tomorrow folks :-)

I am Xtreme
    Drooling again Still busy and working slowly on my cables lol... keep it up ...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Drooling again Still busy and working slowly on my cables lol... keep it up ...

Haha thanks mate...im not looking forward to doing the wiring on my case much...

I finished sanding the dvd bay today so hit it with some etch primer and a firts coat of enamel. -->

Will report back with an update when i have finished sanding the rest of the case and have some paint on it...

Xtreme Member
    Update

I pop riveted all panels to the case yesterday I thought it
    a good photo opportunity to see were we are in this project thus far-->

Click here for full size pic

Apologies the quality of the shots is a little off, the fellas were over for beers last night and these pics were taken later in the evening when many aforementioned beers had been consumed hehehe

Aside from hard drive bays we have a "useable" case Obviously needs some
    doors to and a slap of paint here and there .... and some finishing "touches" still, but good to see progress is on track...

NREMT-I
    1 question, HOW MUCH FOR SHIPPING TO GEORGIA (USA).... Awesome work there
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    Man there's a lot of work there

Very well done aussiejester - one question, why doesn't there seem to be anyone from Melbourne here.

All the aussie wc'ing guys seem to be everywhere else but Melbourne.
    MM U2-UFO Opti-1203 (Black)|Swiftech MCP655|2xSwiftech MCW60's|D-Tek FuZion|ASCeramique|EK Multioption RES250|Thermochill PA120.3|Scythe SFF21F's|Pentosin|Tygon 3603 1/2" ID|Zalman ZM-MFC1
    ASUS Striker Extreme|Intel Core 2 Duo E6600|2x1GB Corsair C4Pro|XFX 8800GTS|Gainward 8800GTS|4 x Seagate 320GB HDD|Vantec Ez-Swap Drive Bay|1 x Maxtor 300GB HDD|Silverstone 850W
    Samsung SyncMaster 21" 215TW|Benq 17" FP791 with TV Tuner|Cherry CyMotion Master Solar Keyboard Wireless|Logitech Z-5500D Speakers|X-Fi Xtreme Music
    TrackIR4 Pro|Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS & Pro Flight Rudder Pedals|Z-Board Fang|Logitech MX-1000

Bring on Crysis
    Project "CUBEIT"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
    Man there's a lot of work there

Very well done aussiejester - one question, why doesn't there seem to be anyone from Melbourne here.

Who would live in Melb. by choice ????
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Cruncher
    I personally don't like the cubes but once again, aussiejester, your work is just awesome...
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    ahhhahhahhha - really - it used to be the state with the politician with the biggest balls - but he's gone now...

I'm actually from Adelaide - but ants move around to different nests........
    MM U2-UFO Opti-1203 (Black)|Swiftech MCP655|2xSwiftech MCW60's|D-Tek FuZion|ASCeramique|EK Multioption RES250|Thermochill PA120.3|Scythe SFF21F's|Pentosin|Tygon 3603 1/2" ID|Zalman ZM-MFC1
    ASUS Striker Extreme|Intel Core 2 Duo E6600|2x1GB Corsair C4Pro|XFX 8800GTS|Gainward 8800GTS|4 x Seagate 320GB HDD|Vantec Ez-Swap Drive Bay|1 x Maxtor 300GB HDD|Silverstone 850W
    Samsung SyncMaster 21" 215TW|Benq 17" FP791 with TV Tuner|Cherry CyMotion Master Solar Keyboard Wireless|Logitech Z-5500D Speakers|X-Fi Xtreme Music
    TrackIR4 Pro|Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS & Pro Flight Rudder Pedals|Z-Board Fang|Logitech MX-1000

Bring on Crysis
    Project "CUBEIT"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Where I come from, we call 'em 'Mexicans'... south of the border

But I'd never hold that against them, besides, I married one

[Disclaimer: No disparaging racial slurs intended, purely in jest fella's. Call me whatever you like, remarks like this shouldn't be taken too seriously in this arena. ]

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Actually, I'm interested, cheaper real estate and way more performance pc suppliers and more cut throat pricing and availability . That said, WA looks (in true 'AJ' speak) 'real purrrrrty'

Sorry to hijack AJ. As I mentioned on OzCaseModz, top work mate and coming along really nicely! Oh yeah, and jealous and all that.
    Last edited by GAM; 04-15-2007 at 02:27 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Absolutely, no HJ'ing intended...
    Hell, if I had AJ's obvious engineering talents, i wouldn't have paid a bloody fortune in shipping costs alone to get a "cube".

hhhmmmmmmm, something about cubes, the Borg obviously dig them

Bring on Crysis
    Project "CUBEIT"

Xtreme Member
    For some reason i think box cases just look well not exactly good but not fugly i just perfer towers.
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850
    2x2GB DDR3 G.Skill (forget exact name )

"I would get down on my knees... grit my teeth... swallow my pride.... open wide... wet my lips... crack my knuckles.... and tie your shoe if you tell me!!!"

Quote form Top Gears host J. Clarksons DVD: America Vs Europe

While driving the Corvette ZO6.

"Its like having herpies great fun getting it, not too much fun to live with"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    They migth not look good to you but are so practical to setup and to test hardware... and as I swap loads of hardware to test and have fun with , this is ideal....
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Work is coming along nicely, good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Xtreme Member
    Firstly THANKYOU for all the supportive comments very much appreciated :-)

one question, why doesn't there seem to be anyone from Melbourne here.

HAHA... i wouldnt have thought Melbournites would need to watercool their pcs its sub zero temps year round there aint it :-P :-P :-P

Things have slowed on the construction due to lack of $$$ and materials...that came to an end today :-)

I purchased the remaining materials required for the completion of the case.

Firstly a visit to Polytech Plastics
    and a HUGE thankyou for great deal on the acrylic plexi-->

For the sides of the case Black Tint 10mm thick plex...BIG chunk
    of 20mm clear for the watercooled hard drive bays,
    6mm solid black for the fan opening surrounds/mesh frames. And lastly 60mm clear tube
    for a couple of custom reservoirs for my dual MCP-655 pumps :-)

I also had a squiz about in Bunnings for a suitable handle for the top of the case, came across this-->

It is solid aluminum, i also picked up a couple of stainless steel
    30mm long stainless bolts that will go through the Qubelok
    frame in the middle of the case and into the ali handle...

Lastly... a new blade for my bandsaw :-) So I'm set to go again.

I decided to hold off on the painting of the case until I
    had the doors mounted as holes required for mounting the hinges will need to be drilled.

Hopefully back later tomorrow with a pair of mounted plexi doors ;-)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieJester View Post
    HAHA... i wouldnt have thought Melbournites would need to watercool their pcs its sub zero temps year round there aint it :-P :-P :-P
    hang on sunshine, we have all 4 seasons over here, unfortunately all in the one day sometimes

Bring on Crysis
    Project "CUBEIT"

Xtreme Member
    hang on sunshine, we have all 4 seasons over here, unfortunately all in the one day sometimes
    ROFL so true ...

Quote Originally Posted by soccerswim8 View Post
    any more updates?

absolutely amazing work. simply beautiful. words cannot describe it
    Cheers mate and yes there has been some progress however I haven't added it to this thread as yet ( i shall on completion) I have been working on the hard drive bay for the case and as it is watercooled I thought i would also make a thread in the Liquid Cooling section of XtremeSystems, you can checkout the thread here if you like :-)

Xtreme Member
    Update

Back again peoples, with only a few days to go till the OCAU modding comp ends
    I thought I would start back with the updates. Things have progressed along nicely
    with the case now etch primed and ready for it's metallic silver and clear coat finish-->

The case was prepped for paint using 400 grit, i wanted a nice rough finish for the etc primer to 'bite' into. Protec industrial grade etch primer has been used, this its incredible, really holds to the metal beautifully providing a superb 'foundation' for painting...I believe it is horribly expensive though, luckily this was donated (thanks to PolMac Trailers) It has had a dust coat and 3 additional coats of etch primer, it is
    now ready for a coat of spray putty a light sand and final paint. OH...also as some might spot the hinges have also been added & the black tint plexi doors hung...

I have my fingers crossed for good weather we have had miserable weather all weekend
    and needing at least 20 degrees to paint 2 pak i might have left the run to late...we shall see :: wink ::

Back soon ya'll

Xtreme Cruncher
    OOOHHH looks pretty nice, I like that color.
    Awww too bad you're not in the US, on ebay I can get giant (I mean GIANT) sheets of polycarbonate dirt cheap or gigantic plexiglas (acrylic) sheet from orchard supply hardware for reasonable prices...Being in the US is just awesome, I was in china for a while and like getting electronics was a total nightmare...
    I just bought a real big piece of delrin and I'm hoping it comes by this thursday...
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hehe, nice work mate, but some paint isn't going to be enough to beat me in the OCAU comp

I have some things to say.... just to put you off guard

1. I don't like the hinges mate. C'mon, you can do better than that.
    2. Are you painting the case 'intact'? I am surprised.
    3. Some of those edges/joints look like they could do some more attention... tlc
    4. Top etch job... you 'da master painter
    5. I hope I actually get a 'functional' case together by comp. close or there'll be no competition for ya'

Good on you AJ! Top job as usual.

Cheers
    GAM

ps. I wonder if the fish are biting today

Xtreme Legend
    ROFL

fight

looks for popcorn
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Legend
    WTF GAM

you sell Thermochill in Australia

have you actually got stock
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    WTF GAM

you sell Thermochill in Australia

have you actually got stock
    I've got a few 120.3's in the next shipment available. I think the stock quantities on the site are fairly accurate. Should be here in the next few days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast