Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Made Case U2-UFO "Replica"

Xtreme Member

Qubelok Custom PC Case

Overclocker.com.au (OCAU) have a new case modding comp that i have entered, I thought I would also copy the log to XTremeSystems for those not members at OCAU to view as it might be of some interest :-) the main rule of the comp is stay under $200 budget :-S --->

From OCAU log

I have been a HUGE fan of the Mountain Mods U2-UFO PC cases (but not a fan of their EXORBITANT
    prices, ~$AU580 delivered to Australia :-| ) I thought i would have a crack at making a "replica" for a fraction of the cost.

For those not familar with the U2-UFO range of cases here's a couple I will be combining attributes off -->

Click here for full size pics

The fan placement of the top case will be used in my "replica" with the inclusion of the black plexi top and side panels.

Today i picked up the aluminium and nylon corners i will use for the frame of my case along with a couple of sheets of 1.5mm thick aluminium sheets for the
    front and rear panels of the case-->

The aluminium tube and connectors are known as Qubelok, it is $AU27 for a 6meter length (the frame has ~6.25m of aluminum) The corner joiners
    i forget the exact price suffice to say they are around $AU2 a piece. I decided also I would have the company that sells Qubelok, Capral
    cut the tube to size for me, the black powder coat was $AU3 more than raw aluminum finish. The two 1.5mm aluminium sheets were $AU16ea. Total cost thus far
    is $AU97.

Things still required for completion that I don't have are stainless steel dome head cap screws & I some mirror finish plexi for inner sides of case. The
    3 black plexi for the top and sides I have in my stock pile. I will also need ~5 more 120mm fans (case will have 8 x 120's) and probably half a dozens 80's
    my good mate Steven from SycoComputers will fix me up with some blue LED fans for a good price :: wink wink :: :-)

Shall be back with update soon :-)
    Last edited by AussieJester; 04-02-2007 at 06:05 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    This should go in the computer cases section, but
    looking forward to seeing the finished product!
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Xtreme Member
    Love the idea, and my friend and I have been considering building a cube case as a summer project.

Anyone have an idea where we'd be able to find similar nylon joints in the US?
    Hardware: Opteron 165 @ 2.5GHz | MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum | G.Skill 2GB Dual Channel | Powercolor X1900XT 512MB @ 722/810 | WD 7,200RPM 16MB Cache 250GB HDD | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Corsair HX620W | Antec P180 | Dell 2005FPW
    Cooling: Kingwin RVT-12025 | Thermaltake TMG AT1 | Scythe S-Flex D's | HR-05 SLI

Project: Monolith Worklog

Xtreme Member
    Anyone have an idea where we'd be able to find similar nylon joints in the US?
    DO you mean these
    Rig 1:
    i7 930 @ 4000Mhz - Asus P6T V2
    3x 2gig OCZ - Evga 470GTX
    2x Segate 320gig HD Raid 0 - 750w PC & PC psu
    Cpu - H2O Cooled

Rig 2:
    Q6600 G0 @ 3450Mhz - Asus p5k delx
    2x2gig OCZ 8500 - Evga 880GTS 640
    2x Segate 400gig HD Raid 0 - 750w PC & PC psu
    dual loop H2O Cooled

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Subsider View Post
    DO you mean these
    I've seen those, and may end up using them, but I like the idea of using prefab joints like the OP has to contstruct a frame.
    Hardware: Opteron 165 @ 2.5GHz | MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum | G.Skill 2GB Dual Channel | Powercolor X1900XT 512MB @ 722/810 | WD 7,200RPM 16MB Cache 250GB HDD | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Corsair HX620W | Antec P180 | Dell 2005FPW
    Cooling: Kingwin RVT-12025 | Thermaltake TMG AT1 | Scythe S-Flex D's | HR-05 SLI

Project: Monolith Worklog

Xtreme Member
    Cool man, keep it up!
    MSI K9N Diamond 1.2 Bios
    AM2 X2 5600+ @ 3.3 Ghz
    2 GB Firestix DDR800
    MSI HD2900XT
    Silverstone Zeus PSU
    X-FI Xtreme Music
    Antec 900 Case
    Petra's basic H2O Kit

Xtreme Legend
    man i wish you lived in Sydney.........it would be awesome to get help from some like yourself with some things i have in mind
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Excellent job! I've got a little collection of home brew cases also.

Metal interlocking systems in the US:

Aerocool Lubic components, if you can still find them.

80/20 components.

Or Mcmaster.com, search for T slot components.

navig

Xtreme Member
    Update

I finished cutting the aluminum panels today, also cut the front openings for radiator, dvd roms and fan before moving on to organizing a removable mobo tray.

IMO the hardest part of making a case would have to be the motherboard tray, I decided not to tackle making one from scratch and thus doing away with copious amounts of swearing LoL... I have used a mobo tray from an AOpen case, nice and strong not flimsy like some of the generic cases, unfortunately though they don't cater for a 120mm fan so i have "redesigned" the tray somewhat-->

I have loosely assembled it with a couple of bolts only for now, I still have to sand and undercoat it ready for painting. I shall cut the rear panel of the case tomorrow and fit the tray into the case, back with an update tomorrow evening :-)

Nice work!

I am Xtreme
    Good job man , nice to see so many peeps getting into cubes lately
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Cheers christopher3393 & Leeghoofd...Leeghoofd, I'm glad you made a comment
    I followed the link in your sig to your custom cube fantastic work buddy very impressive :-)

Update

What a day :-| Fiddling about finishing off the rear panel and fitting up
    the removable mobo tray thankfully it all went extremely well and I'm rapt
    with the result, all nice and square best of all it all fits LoL. As always
    here's a few snaps-->

Obviously not all the bolts have been fitted, and wont be until final assembly.
    I have 90% decided on getting all the panels powder coated, will finish all the fabrication make sure everything fits before ripping it down and sending it off to ma good bud Snapper for powder coating...in black as per usual hehe...

Tomorrow i shall cut the final lot of fan holes in the top and rear panel before fitting
    the radiators, yes thats not a typo there will be two rads the 360 and a 3 core 120 that will handle the cooling of the hard drive caddy hehe yup, shall be making a copper based hard drive caddy capable of holding 6 drives in water cooled comfort, have 4 sheets of 3mm copper plate that is destined for the job...

Back tomorrow with next update...

Xtreme Member
    Update

It's really starting to look more like a PC case now I think :-) I cut the
    remaining openings today, the two 120mm fan openings on top
    of the case, a 120mm rear for the radiator and the PSU opening :-)

I think tomorrow I shall tackle the removable dvd rom caddy, time slipped
    away today and i didn't get a start on it. I also wanted to fit panels on the inside behind the mobo tray...will get to it after the caddies.

I have also managed to pick up a second new Swiftech MCP-655 for $AU80 bucks today which i was rapt about :-) will use this pump to power the loop that cools the hard drive caddy :-)

My best mate also gave me a price on powder coating will run into 60 bucks for the 4 panels and mobo tray... bringing total cost to ~$AU190...close to the competitions $AU200 limit hehe. Still, IMO its a cheap case for what it is and thus far im extremely happy with the progress.

Back tomorrow with more

Ciao for now

Egyptian OverClocker
    fast progress u got there

nice work
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

I am Xtreme
    Jester how do you fit the PSU , just solely by the alu sheet on the rear or are you gonna make a support bracket ? My Galaxy is still in backorder but it weighs a ton too much to be supported by my acryl panels, one of the reasons I opted to mount it on the lower plate...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Guru
    great looking project you have going here, that beast is going to be awesome.

I'm so looking forward to the next update
    Last edited by Solarfall; 04-02-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Member
    Cheers for the positive feedback fellas appreciated :-)

Leeghoofd No support bracket required mate, PSU will mount directly against the rear ali panel it is more than sturdy enough :-)

I have again changed my mind regarding case colour and its means of application. I will now NOT be going for powder coating but doing a clear over base paint job. My mate has scored me some free silver metallic paint and a liter of two pack clear. The inside will remain polished ali and the qubelok will remain black. I also have planned for 10mm thick solid black acrylic surrounds foir the fan and rad openings, will also double as 'brackets' to hold the mesh in place, will recess it slightly so mesh fits on the reverse side flush, holding it against the ali panel. Removable tray inside will also be black, as will the removable drive bay caddy.

Unfortunately i didnt get any work done today was a little under the weather be back into it first thing in the morning and back with a finished removable dvd rom caddy at days end...fingers crossed :-\

Xtreme Member
    Update

Started on the removable dvd/cd Rom caddy today, it was a slow tedious job
    wanting to make sure everything was neat and tidy. I chose to use some
    old right angle aluminum i had in one of my old LCD projector cases i made
    few years ago and some 1.5mm aluminium plate.

I will be swapping the nyloc nuts for nice shiny brass dome nuts soon as they are delivered (hopefully later this arvo) The caddy will be removable and held in place with thumbscrews. I still have to fix angle to the sides to hold the unit together, and obviously drill the mounting holes for the roms etc.

The whole caddy will be prepped, primed and painted with black two pac.

All in all i'm very happy with the progress, I shall finish the caddy off first
    thing tomorrow and mount it to the case before progressing on to the interior center panel mounting.

Back tomorrow...

Xtreme Addict
    Nice one Jester

You should clean up the competition with that beast, can you make two please
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Member
    Great looking case

Xtreme Member
    Cheers fellas, hopefully will do ok in the competition no biggy though if i don't i will still have a nice new case for my efforts :-)

Update

Finished off attaching right angle to the rear section of the rom caddy today, resized the opening in the front panel drilled, tapped and fitted the bay-->

Bear in mind the whole unit is still to be sanded, primed and painted in black enamel :: sigh :: I have a mountain of sanding ahead of me, my least favourite thing to do where modding is concerned yet one of the most important if you want a nice final finish on your paint work....agghhh

Will fit the internal centre panel first up tomorrow and then get onto some plexi work i think....

Back soon folks

That's some great work you've done! How many hours work approx to do the job? Willing to make another one?

Xtreme Member
    Good job so far
    [ BenQ G2400WD 24" Monitor]
    [ 3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident DDR3 ]
    [ Corsair 850HX 850 watt PSU ]
    [ Auzentech Prelude ]
    [ beyerdynamic MMX300]
    [ Logitech G15, G9 , G7, MX518]
    [ Saitek X52 ]
    [ 4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB ]
    [ 1 x WD 150GB Raptor ]
    [ 1 x Seagate 500GB 7200.11(32mb) ]
    [ Windows 7 64-bit]

Water Cooling Setup

U2-UFO Black Powder Coat - 3 Big Window
    Swiftech MCP-655 aka Laing D5 Vario w/ EK Top
    Thermochill PA 120.3
    Swiftech XT CPU Block
    EK Classified Full NB/SB Block
    EK-MultiOption 4 Port RES 150 Rev. 2
    NZXT Fan Controller + Sunbeam Multi Fan Port
    7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Primochill Black Tubing
    7 x Yate Loons-D12SM ‘s
    Bitspower Compression barbs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by benny08 View Post
    That's some great work you've done! How many hours work approx to do the job? Willing to make another one?
    Cheers beeny :-) I would guess around 10-12 hours have been put into it thuse far mate, I do it in hour-two hour stints each day :-)

Update

First panel was permanently mounted to the case this arvo, the inner panel located behind the mobo tray was cut and fitted. Doesn't look much but took me good two hours to cut, drill and fit the damn thing :-S
    Another hour was taken up drilling and elongating (by hand) the mounting holes for the dvd roms in the caddy.

aside from riveting the side panels onto the case the fabrication side of things is pretty well finished.
    There is still a load to do though, that plexi work i mentioned yesterday will get underway tomorrow...

Back soon :-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast