Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Review: Thermalright Ultima-90 ES vs TT120 (56k warn)

Xtreme Member
    Excellent... ty for linking.

My results aren't all that different from theirs.

The only thing I would take issue with (and this goes for any reviewer) is the explanation of TIM application. Essentially there is none.

Anyone would do well to go through the motions (and say so) of applying, reapplying, and only starting testing once the best temperature was found. No one really knows what they're dealing with until they've seen the new HS under multiple installs of controlled conditions.

Good to see they have started to share their vCore stats, that was a major weakness before.
    Last edited by Battle_Rattle; 08-21-2007 at 11:00 AM.
    e8400 4.0Ghz Q747A374 - Thermalright Ultima-90 ES - Asus P5K-D (bios 809) - BFG 285 GTX - 4Gb Mushkin Blackline PC8500 - Deck Legend Keyboard - X-fi Platinum w/BeyerDynamic DT-990pro Headset Mod - Silverstone TJ-07 - Antec Quattro 850w - Samsung 275T - OCZ Vertex 120gb + 1TB WD - Windows 7 64bit Pro

"The data on the MiG is inaccurate..."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore69 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind when ordering the Thermalright Ultima-90 concerns the fan that will have to be ordered for it. I just received my Ultima-90 and found that the fan mounting clips only work with 1" thick fans; they hold the fan by the outside edge of the fan and not by the inside edge as the other Thermalright heatsinks do. I want to use either a 90mm or 120mm fan on the heatsink that are both 1.5" thick. I am going to have to come up with a way to attach the heatsink other than using the stock mounting clips. Especially since Thermalright support indicates that they only have the stock clip and nothing else that would hold the thicker fan. Why they didn't design the mounting clip to hold the fan in the "normal" position I cannot fathom.

By the way, if anyone has used a thicker fan and has a method of attaching it to the heatsink please let me know. Right now I am planning on using the standard wire clips with plastic ties. Or spacers of the proper length screwed onto the fan to provide mounting holes at the required 1" distance to allow use of the provided clips.
    Pardon me for this.

I was looking at ultima pics and esp at the top where the fan holes are.
    I think it has another set of holes to attach anoher fan.
    Also was trying to figure out the width of the fan and the distance between the 2 locations for inserting the wire clips on the cooler.

Will you please try this?
    Use the wireclips in the other set of fan holes to mount the same fan in the same position- esp the 92 mm ones.
    Will this allow the wire clips to grab the inner edge of the fan?
    I don't have a pc coz i don't know how to OC

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
    I think it has another set of holes to attach anoher fan.
    It does

Also was trying to figure out the width of the fan and the distance between the 2 locations for inserting the wire clips on the cooler.
    about 34mm

Use the wireclips in the other set of fan holes to mount the same fan in the same position- esp the 92 mm ones.
    Will this allow the wire clips to grab the inner edge of the fan?
    I understand what you mean...

The distance from the clip hole to the desired fan hole looks a little long. More than that though, the problem is the crimped heat pipes at the top of the cooler. The crimped heat pipes may obstruct the bend in the fan clip wires, and if it didn't, the bend may be completely gone. That bend is pretty crucial for tension on the fan.

You can always try... have backups though
    Last edited by Battle_Rattle; 08-21-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    e8400 4.0Ghz Q747A374 - Thermalright Ultima-90 ES - Asus P5K-D (bios 809) - BFG 285 GTX - 4Gb Mushkin Blackline PC8500 - Deck Legend Keyboard - X-fi Platinum w/BeyerDynamic DT-990pro Headset Mod - Silverstone TJ-07 - Antec Quattro 850w - Samsung 275T - OCZ Vertex 120gb + 1TB WD - Windows 7 64bit Pro

"The data on the MiG is inaccurate..."

I am Xtreme
    it looks like you could use small or thin plastic ties to wrap around the heatpipe within the fins to secure a large size 38mm fan
    BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 UNOFFICIAL THREAD

BIOSTAR TPOWER BOLT MOD FOR HEATPIPE AND HEATSINK

BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

ABIT IP35 PRO HEATPIPE MOD

ABIT IP35 PRO BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Rattle View Post
    It does
    about 34mm
    I understand what you mean...
    The distance from the clip hole to the desired fan hole looks a little long. More than that though, the problem is the crimped heat pipes at the top of the cooler. The crimped heat pipes may obstruct the bend in the fan clip wires, and if it didn't, the bend may be completely gone. That bend is pretty crucial for tension on the fan.

You can always try... have backups though
    Thank you.

Hmmm...

Time to take a look at XP-90 or some other clips if they will suit the purpose.
    Sidewinders does have XP90 clips for retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace-a-Rue View Post
    it looks like you could use small or thin plastic ties to wrap around the heatpipe within the fins to secure a large size 38mm fan
    That is the ultimate solution- but wanted to give the stock clips or the XP 90 clips or custom clips a go.

Cableties have always been the ultimate saviour- be it cables or dual fans in push-pull or single fans.
    Like using a Panaflo H1A on the AC Freezer 64 pro with a vantec 92mm rubber dampener and cable ties.
    When its cleaning time- just snip them off- clean the fan and heatsink- use new ones.
    Cheap and effective- so don't pinch the pocket too- you get 100s in the price of a pair wire clips.

I am Xtreme
    i put this puppy on my quad core "G0" and i had to add 2 fans (push-pull) to make up the difference from Ultra-X....i have a silverstone 120mm in front and a silverstone 92mm pulling....the 120 is a 2.5K and the 92 is a 3.8K speed fan.

the 92 mm or 90 mm clips were not even close to being able to hold on to the fan...it was a joke!...finally figured out that i had to bend the points that covered the screw holes....the 120mm clips worked perfectly!

the under the board brace (back plate) and TR's solution to insert these base studs, with a rubber "O" ring for holding in position, is a COMPLETE JOKE!...their mounting solution at least from the bottom is miserable!!!...many thumbs down on that approach ...i had to use super glue to keep the base studs in position so it would not fall out from the back plate as i tried to push the studs into the mobo holes.

don't waste your money on this cooler...you would be better off shelling out a few more bucks and buying the Ultra-X...at least you can use a 38mm fan on that puppy!...AND...if you are into Xtreme cooling, just buy an extra set of 120 clips from sidewindercomputers.com and you can mount two 120mm X 38mm fans on the Ultra-X.

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

Xtreme Member
    .....and there you have it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace-a-Rue View Post
    i put this puppy on my quad core "G0" and i had to add 2 fans (push-pull) to make up the difference from Ultra-X....i have a silverstone 120mm in front and a silverstone 92mm pulling....the 120 is a 2.5K and the 92 is a 3.8K speed fan.

the 92 mm or 90 mm clips were not even close to being able to hold on to the fan...it was a joke!...finally figured out that i had to bend the points that covered the screw holes....the 120mm clips worked perfectly!

the under the board brace (back plate) and TR's solution to insert these base studs, with a rubber "O" ring for holding in position, is a COMPLETE JOKE!...their mounting solution at least from the bottom is miserable!!!...many thumbs down on that approach ...i had to use super glue to keep the base studs in position so it would not fall out from the back plate as i tried to push the studs into the mobo holes.

don't waste your money on this cooler...you would be better off shelling out a few more bucks and buying the Ultra-X...at least you can use a 38mm fan on that puppy!...AND...if you are into Xtreme cooling, just buy an extra set of 120 clips from sidewindercomputers.com and you can mount two 120mm X 38mm fans on the Ultra-X.
    I think you mean the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme.
    (or did you mean the Enzotech Ultra-X. )

AFAIK, the Ultima 90 was never meant to beat the Ultra120X aka TRUE120.
    The OP has shown that it matches a TuniQ tower 120 or a Thermalright Ultra 120(non-extreme).
    And that kinda cooling with the reduced height and weight is helpful in some cases.
    And that performance is way better than the ultra90.

As far as the mounting is concerned, i think i will try using the TR Ultra120(non-extreme) plate on this if possible.

I am Xtreme
    sounds good to me!

good luck with that alternative mounting...it should be less frustrating.

EDIT:...yes, Ultra 120-X

I am Xtreme
    As far as the mounting is concerned, i think i will try using the TR Ultra120(non-extreme) plate on this if possible.

the Ultra 120 base mobo plate will work with the provided screws in the Ultima 90; just checked!...to bad i didn't think of that!

actually, i liked what i did with my Ultra 120-X for additional cooling affect.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=156422

I am Xtreme
    just checked thermalright's page...they now show a separate Ultima 90 model for 775 socket mobo's...they must have seen the writing on the wall!...good for them!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So those who have Stacker 83x, does it fit w/o removing any of the 4 side fans?

Xtreme Member
    Great review, ill try to get a TT120 asap to cool down a quad.

Quote Originally Posted by SP33DFR34K View Post
    So those who have Stacker 83x, does it fit w/o removing any of the 4 side fans?
    I have the 832, i have to remove the fan bracket that is directly above the TRU-E...but this is a bonus as i then used that to put another fan in the front panel
    Current Setup
    Q6600 @ 3.22Ghz (460x7) Max OC @ 3.6Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    2Gb Ballistix PC-5300 @ 920mhz 4-4-4-12
    BFG 8800GTS 640mb
    Creative X-Fi Music
    Corsair 620W
    Thermalright Ultra Extreme + Scythe Kaze 120mm
    CM Stacker 832

just hooked up the ultima 90 + silverstone FM123

Xtreme Member
    Finally have an Ultima-90 on its way to my house. Should arrive by Wednesday (or Thursday for those in Europe and Asia).

I'll post plenty of pictures and a report on how it affects my system temperatures.
    CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
    RAM: g.skill 4gb ripjaws ddr3 1600
    MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    VID: HD6950 @ 850/1300 (for now)
    SOUND: Auzen X-Fi Prelude
    PSU: Seasonic X-560
    HDD: Seagate 500gb :: Samsung 500gb SATAII :: Samsung 1tb
    CASE: Antec P182 w/window
    COOLING: Panaflo 120x38mm medium-speed 2x :: Panaflo 120x25mm medium/low :: Thermalright Venomous X/ Delta 120x38mm low-speed

Most teenagers (some adults, as well) have changed to decide that rap sounds musical. If you haven't, put this in your signature.

Xtreme Member
    Good news, Ultima-90 has arrived.

The Beast:

Bad news, the bloke who packed it didn't include the s939 bracket, so I can't use it yet. I've ordered it from another e-tailer.
    COOLING: Panaflo 120x38mm medium-speed 2x :: Panaflo 120x25mm medium/low :: Thermalright Venomous X/ Delta 120x38mm low-speed

Most teenagers (some adults, as well) have changed to decide that rap sounds musical. If you haven't, put this in your signature.

Xtreme Cruncher
    its not supposed to include the 939 bracket, says on their site its seperate.

i got an ultima 90 about a month ago for my new am2 setup and it works great. i'm running push-pull with the 92 on bottom and 120 on top

Xtreme Member
    I'm aware of that, but it was included in my order, as an extra. At the last minute, my money for the supposed s939 bracket (the store had it confused with the AM2 kit) was returned and I ordered the correct bracket somewhere else. However, everything worked out and I'm using the Ultima-90 now.

Xtreme Addict
    Finally - I FOUND A DECENT COOLER (in my opinion) for my future rig (hope it's done soon). All in need now, is a decent REV 2. for E8400 ...

Xtreme Member
    This cooler is really beast, HDT coolers have no chance to compete once voltage increased.
    Ryzen 5 7600-Deepcool GammaxxV2-Gigabyte B650M GAMING X AX-16 GB Corsair DDR5-Gigabyte Eagle 6700XT-Corsair RM650-5x Artic Silver 140mms-Carbide 400R-Acer B246WL-FiiO E10/M40x-Fiio K5 Pro/LP6-M5/BLON-3.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456