Thread: Components for Water Cooling?

Xtreme Member

Components for Water Cooling?

[newbie]
    I am looking to get some sort of water cooling setup for my new P4 3Ghz, I've been looking around, reading up, the usual before doing something like this. There is a few things I'd just like someone in the know to clarify for me, that is...what components do you need to build a water cooling system? So far I know of the following:

CPU Waterblock - Sits on CPU
    GPU Waterblock (Not required, but a preference) - Sits on GPU
    Pump - Pumps water round the system
    Reservoir - Other than holds water, I'm not quite sure, could someone explain?
    Radiator - Cools the hot water before re-circulating
    Tubing - Carries the water round the system

If I have missed anything, or have got it wrong about a components function, could anyone possibly fill in the gaps/errors for me?

Many thanks.
    [/newbie]

Looks like youve pretty much got it covered. The res is highly debateable by some. Some prefer it, others hate it. Its a matter of opinion really.
    Looks like youve got it all listed there fine though.

BTW, Welcome to the Xtreme!

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, if you have a simple setup, a res is probably not needed. But, having a res does make filling the sytem a lot easier, since you can just fill the res to fill the system up with water. Without one, filling the sytem can be tricky, but still not that hard...
    Abit Is7-E
    P4 2.0A @ 3.2 160FSB with 1.63V
    2x256MB HyperX 3000
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Maze 3 / Maze4 GPU/ 6x11 Heatercore/ Hydor L30

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A fan or two for the rad (doh!) and maybe a shroud if its a heatercore. Then there are also the small stuff ofcourse like hoseclamps, batterywater and waterwetter or similar.

Where do you get a shroud?
    To be or not to be...that is the question.

Xtremely slow runner
    IMHO the res is only useful when you want to build a chiller, otherwise a T line is way better
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Av by Frisch This is not a Lime tree

mayb a really dumb question, but what is a t-line and y is it better than a recevoir?

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by arnaudnl
    mayb a really dumb question, but what is a t-line and y is it better than a recevoir?

A T is just a joint that is like a 3-way intersection: it's a straight line of pipe with another pipe coming off at a 90 degree angle. Sometimes people prefer these over resevoirs because they save space and still allow for bleeding.

~DP

Xtremely slow runner
    Originally posted by Dr. Possum
    A T is just a joint that is like a 3-way intersection: it's a straight line of pipe with another pipe coming off at a 90 degree angle. Sometimes people prefer these over resevoirs because they save space and still allow for bleeding.

~DP
    And it's way cheaper, and sometimes you have some flow problem with bad designed res and powerful pump
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Xtreme Addict
    I use a res, just for simplicity of toping system up and bleeding it.

Looks like everything else you have covered, don't forget some UV dye tho!!

"There is only one thing better than having a linebacker in your office, and thats having two linebackers in your office"
    12.7Ghz folding for XtremeSystems

Xtreme Addict
    what water do u use? distilled water? + what? i dont have water wetter here can i use coolant what ratio?

Originally posted by JeffPH
    what water do u use? distilled water? + what? i dont have water wetter here can i use coolant what ratio?
    this should help you http://www.overclockers.com/articles609/
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles599/
    Last edited by roblae; 06-03-2003 at 06:09 AM.

AMD AthlonXP 2400+@14X166
    Asus A7V333
    ATI Radeon9700pro
    Performance Cooled by D-Tek & Danger Den

Xtreme Addict
    I use deionised water, approx 700ml, added 5ml of blue uv dye and 5ml of purple ice.

"There is only one thing better than having a linebacker in your office, and thats having two linebackers in your office"

I allways use a res and a submerged pump, it just makes like so much easyer. But it does takke up more room.

Xtremely slow runner
    I use distilled water. BTW Water wetter is not a coolant but helps to kills the fungus and else and prevent any deposit

Xtreme Addict
    Plus if u have aluminium and copper mixed in a kit you'd better add Purple ice/Water Wetter otherwise you#ll get some reactions occuring and wrecking ur system quiet a lot!

Turbo
    Make sure you use distilled water and stay away from tap.

Originally posted by Turbo
    Make sure you use distilled water and stay away from tap.
    i've seen people even use Evian or polish spring, but distilled water is cheaper

Xtremely slow runner
    ROFL Evian will harm your sys but it's good for your body

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you use WaterWaetter be sure not to use to much.
    here is a small comparison of temps using WW;
    http://www.bunkermentality.net/wetter.html

btw:
    My DD res cylinder cracked a while back after a few days, could this be because of WW? I read that someone else had his Poseidon res cracked and according to Poseidon this was do to the fact he had used WW. Anyone else had this problem?

the DD res is real crap it's not WW
    you're not the first how had this problem
    Last edited by roblae; 06-03-2003 at 04:18 PM.

AMD AthlonXP 2400+@14X166
    Asus A7V333
    ATI Radeon9700pro
    Performance Cooled by D-Tek & Danger Den

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think it strange that WW would cause this, but for the res to spontaneously just start to crack in 5'000 places is even more odd. There were no +-pressure in my res so that was not the problem.

Xtremely slow runner
    Originally posted by Ilúvatar
    I think it strange that WW would cause this, but for the res to spontaneously just start to crack in 5'000 places is even more odd. There were no +-pressure in my res so that was not the problem.
    That's really weird, i don't think it's a material problem because it would crack in one place. Anyway the dd res is crappy