Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The world's first carbon-based CPU cooler

Xtreme Addict
    Serra, it's not a 120mm fan. It's a new style of fan that gigabyte has been using in their coolers. They're astoundingly quiet and are more of a tower shape instead of a traditional fan that moves air in one direction. Like I said, I've used one.

Ryan
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3200 w/ Tuniq Tower
    2x2gb A-Data DDR2 800
    AMD/ATi HD 4870

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FghtinIrshNvrDi View Post
    Serra, it's not a 120mm fan. It's a new style of fan that gigabyte has been using in their coolers. They're astoundingly quiet and are more of a tower shape instead of a traditional fan that moves air in one direction. Like I said, I've used one.

Ryan
    The fans they've been 'stealing' from model electric jet turbines?

I have gigabyte 3D cooler.The fan realy works.
    Grafit is better heat conducter ,but it does have a flaw.It`s very easy to break ,and that much weight on grafitic base makes me VERY woried.Especialy if you have to tighten the screws ,to hold it.And the surfice of the base is easy to damage to.
    Second is heat transfer between the base and the sink with the fan.The grafitic core ,and the fan are useless if this fails.
    Last edited by GIGAFAN; 03-19-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    2500+@2425,6Mhz 220FSB 1,8V agresive;GA-7N400 pro2;2x512Mb@440Mhz 8-3-2-2 GEIL ULTRA-X;3D COOLER PRO;MSI RX9800 PRO;2X80Gb RAID 0 MAXTOR S-ATA;CD-RW LG;DVD LG;TV/FM ASUS;Intel modem;ENERMAX 460W;DIY PROJECTOR(http://www.benchmark.co.yu/forum/sho...817#post654817)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    graphite layers must also be in line and parallel to conduct heat well i think. i.e. vertical layering opposed to horizontal. as there is weak forces between layers in graphite. Therefore it is only good in conduction under certain circumstances.

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    gonna have to take a look on it myself tomorrow.
    really don't want to make any speculations about performance myself yet - everybody thinks, what he thinks before the first review
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

the jedi master
    I love the way you get this all wrong, I just read this whole thread and was amazed by what some of you think of the cooler and of OCZ.

Anyway, I will explain briefly how this cooler is working.

1 the base is made from directional conductive graphite, we used this material 3 yrs ago but then it was to brittle...now we have a version that is strong enough for direct to CPU contact under pressure.

2 the base has micro channels that over lap each other...this is how we are able to extract so much heat.

3 the fluid is not water, we may use a special coolant but we could use an oil based coolant also.

4 The pump runs off the same impeller as the fan and is centrifugal....it is placed very close to the base and pumps directly on to it, the fluid then travells up the copper tubes to the fluid distribution manifold where it is distributed to the radiators.

5 The radiators have micro channles also, this means they transfer heat at an astounding rate, i have been told the transfer from the base to the radiators of heat under test was measured under a second and the same temp on the base is seen by the radiators...this means this cooler has an ultra high efficiency rating at heat removal.

6 The air cools the radiators on the way into the cooler and then on the way out...total cooling area on the unit here is 0.5M squared...we can make this smaller or bigger depending on how much heat we want to remove.

7 The radiators in the sample here are copper, we have decided to move to Aluminum though to save on weight....there may be a slight drop in thermal performance but its so slight you will never be able to measure it

8 Cooling performance is governed by the temperature of the air entering the unit....deltaT would remain constant for all tests but tested in a warm case will push the temps higher over a test on an open bench.

9 Regarding Cryo Z, units are in production, we are not showing it here but you will see it on sale in the USA soon.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Tony:
    Just to add a little:
    graphite has been used in nuclear reactors for years for it's incredible abilty to absorb heat.
    In the US it was used until liquid cooled reactors became the norm.
    It was used in the Chernobyl reactors also.
    No, it wasn't the cause of the meltdown.
    I'd love to test one of these. Sounds like an excellent design.
    Got 2 that will fit a socket 771 base?
    I've got 2 cpu's that push 144w that will test the hell out of them!
    PS: Keep the copper..
    Last edited by Movieman; 03-20-2007 at 01:54 AM.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Tony:
    Just to add a little:
    graphite has been used in nuclear reactors for years for it's incredible abilty to absorb heat.
    In the US it was used until liquid cooled reactors became the norm.
    It was used in the Chernobyl reactors also.
    No, it wasn't the cause of the meltdown.
    I'd love to test one of these. Sounds like an excellent design.
    Got 2 that will fit a socket 771 base?
    I've got 2 cpu's that push 144w that will test the hell out of them!
    PS: Keep the copper..
    a copper unit this size is to heavy...trust me there is no difference in performance.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    a copper unit this size is to heavy...trust me there is no difference in performance.
    I trust you cause you've probably seen the numbers.
    now about those 771 mounts..I have 2 dual clover systems here running at 3200+ on air..One is going to water, the other stays on air..
    Got a mount for those that will work and who do I mail the check to?
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

This thread is really kind of funny ...

So here is a bit more insight: The WayCool technology has been licensed from OnScreen Technologies and we have built more than 50 prototypes over the last year for all kinds of application. This said, copper is reaching its limitations of thermal transfer capability with modern CPUs that run lower power than earlier generations but also have much reduced die area -- therefore higher area power densities than anything before. ... that is up to 200 W/cm2 under normal conditions and way more in overclocked systems.

The only materials that can handle that type of thermals are based on directional graphite, which is the material used in this water block. The design is proprietary and patent pending so I won't comment further.

The second key of the cooler design is the microchannel array contained in each of the heat exchangers. We have achieved designs of less than 1 mm thickness with approximately 80% of the structure being interleaved micro-channels that result in almost complete isothermicity across the entire cooling surface within fractions of a second.

The cooling fluid is moved through a pump - whichever design fits the application, regardless of whether it is a positive displacement, rotary or centrifugal pump or even ion charge pump for smaller units.

The combination of a very high thermal exchange with the heat source with an extremely efficient heat dissipation device that only needs very slow air movement is what this is all about. We built completely passive solutions for graphics cards already that even in a 1 slot form factor beat the crap out of dual slot fan solutions and those will hit the market also in the near future.

The pump and fan are driven by the same motor that can be completely immersed in the coolant - which in that case can also act as noise suppressor for the bearings and as lubricant, similar to dynamic fluid bearings in HDDs.

Since I have spent overall about 3 years in the R&D leading to this prototype, I know very well what it can do and what not and whatever is made public about the technology will hold up.

Regards,

Michael

XS News
    Amen
    Everything extra is bad!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Unregistered:
    Thanks for the added info!

Xtreme Addict
    Seems like a hell of a cooler,
    any idea about average retail price at launch?

Xtreme Addict
    BTW I think the transparent plastic top doesn't complement well the looks of the rest of the cooler, maybe retail top could be spiced up a little with some carbon fiber looking design? Or at least some color like dark blue.. (just opinion)

How heavy is the copper model being shown in display?

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Tony and Michael for the brief insight.

I guess the thermal resistance must be <= 0.11 C/W at say like 100 Watt with "reasonable" noise level ? .. or better < 0.1 C/W

Of course its only makes sense that it must be better than current air champions, especially at the enough economic scale for that new manucfacturing methodologies and new material too.

C'mon share some secret numbers as a teaser for all of us !

Admin
    Does CLP eat the carbon? I'm imagining the combo of the two being very potent

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Thanks Tony and Michael for the brief insight.

I guess the thermal resistance must be <= 0.11 C/W at say like 100 Watt with "reasonable" noise level ? .. or better < 0.1 C/W

Of course its only makes sense that it must be better than current air champions, especially at the enough economic scale for that new manucfacturing methodologies and new material too.

C'mon share some secret numbers as a teaser for all of us !
    If they will take a 160w quad core and keep it in the 50's it's a winner from my perspective..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    If they will take a 160w quad core and keep it in the 50's it's a winner from my perspective..
    Yeah, agree. But again thermal resistance will vary on different wattage level, but imo it is safe enough to assume the target market set for initial is for dual core which is around 100W.

The biggest problem will mot likely be the IHS because it is not plane in most cases and further, the interface is low temp solder that has a much lower conductivity than anything else in the therml path. We have experimented with fully liquid immersed chips as well but we need cooperation from the chip manufacturers on that front.

That's the main reason why I really don't want to say anything about the final junction temperatures that we can achieve ... it'll depend on the specific chip in question ... not even the model

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzimark View Post
    not all that great iirc.

Frank M- water boils at 100c, assuming standard pressure. i promise you the cpu can take well above that before melting. and the pcb and it's components would burn before anything actually melts
    Also the Epoxy that they use on mainboards and stuff will burn before the fiberglass.

~Mike
    Main Rig: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz, 64GB of memory, 512GB m.2 SSD, nVidia GTX1080Ti
    NAS: QNAP TVS-1282, 8 x 4TB WD Golds(Main Storage Pool), 4 x 960GB M4 Crucial (VM Storage) , 2 x 512GB M.2 Caching
    Private Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon 5645, 48GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 960GB SSD/Each)
    Distributed Encoding Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon x5690, 24GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 128GB SSD/Each)
    Feedback
    EBAY:HEAT

Xtreme Member
    I for one am glad to see some new ideas in the processor cooling world. For too long we've only seen larger and larger heatsinks, unless you go to water cooling and their market is getting stagnant also. Must admit I am very suprised to see that it is OCZ that is bringing out the new ideas. Maybe the industry just needed someone to think outside the big shiny copper box.

I'd like to get my hands on one of these as I'm crazy about thermal performance. Even though I'm running a stock A64 4000+. I'm also very curious about the dBa performance of the unit.

Glad to see OCZ coming up with ideas outside of memory. OCZ has always felt like an enthusiast company to me, and what better way to reach out to that market even more then to start making products for other aspects of the enthusiast market as well.
    God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+, ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe, eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX, 1Gb OCZ RAM, WD 10k RPM Raptor and 7.2k RPM Caviar, Thermalright SI-128 ,Lian-Li PC-V1000 Plus II

Xtreme Mentor
    Good to see the OZC guys finnaly step up and clear the thread of speculations. I kenw they were laughing in the background these past few days.
    I looks like really good cooler. A lot of R&D went in it. Idea implementation sure doesn't strike me as something someone just woke up with.
    ________
    Mercedes-Benz Slk-Class
    Last edited by XS Janus; 05-12-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Graphite and nuclear reactors?!...so are our PC's like gonna explode when they heat up???

:-)
    Gigabyte EP45-DQ6 - rev 1.0, F13a bios | Intel Q9450 Yorkfield 413x8=3.3GHz | OCZ ProXStream 1000W PSU | Azuen X-Fi Prelude 64MB X-RAM| WD VelociRaptor 74HLFS-01G6U0 16MB cache 74GB - 2 drive RAID 0 64k stripe | ASUS 9800GT Ultimate 512MB RAM (128 SP!!) | G.SKILL PC2-8800 4GB kit @ 1100MHz | OCZ ATV Turbo 4GB USB flash | Scythe Ninja Copper + Scythe 120mm fan | BenQ M2400HD 24" 16:9 LCD | Plextor 716SA 0308; firmware 1.11 | Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 | Netgear RangeMax DG834PN 108mbps; firmware 1.03.39 + HAWKING HWUG1 108mbps USB dongle | Digital Doc 5+ | 7 CoolerMaster 80mm blue LED fans | Aopen H700A tower case | Vista Home Premium - 32bit, SP1

Xtreme CCIE
    I am glad to have some word from OCZ on the more specifics of the inner workings, it has certainly cleared up a lot of confusion. I would still like to see a more detailed schematic, but it's sounding much better than I had previously feared.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dower View Post
    Graphite and nuclear reactors?!...so are our PC's like gonna explode when they heat up???

:-)
    lol, nuclear reactors cannot explode, they can only melt down. Same for a cpu.

Wow they really resemble each other.
    System
    Intel C2D Q6600 @ 3.78Ghz 1.536V (1.55V bios)
    TC PA 120.3 , D-TEK Fusion, MCP655, Micro Res, 6 Yate Fans
    Mushkin HP2-6400 2X2GB @ 100Mhz 5-4-4-12
    Asus Maximus Formula 420x9
    4 Samsung Spinpoint 250GB SATA II in raid 0
    Crossfire HD 2900XT 512MB 900/900 1.25V
    Pioneer DVD-RW
    830 Mobo Tray, Wating on MM Duality
    PC Power and Cooling 750W , mobo/cpu/gpus/cdrom , Powmax 380W , hd, fans, pump
    Acer AL2616W 19200x1200 100Hz (75hz native)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast