Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: The world's first carbon-based CPU cooler

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer View Post
    wierd.. I know that compressed carbon (diamond) has the best thermal properties of all natural materials, but I have no idea how well Carbon-Fibre would do for cooling a CPU. Anyone have any ideas?
    carbon fiber sucks, man, and you know that..

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    I see products like this coming from OCZ and I start to cry. Carbon fiber is more of an insulator than conductor, and the design of this thing just screams with lack of thought. Even though they did state the final design will be different, I see a few major issues arising with the very idea of this product, not the least of which is that there's no pump listed as a part or visible. That tells me that they would be counting on *convection* of the water to cool a CPU. That's just retarded for a company who produces for enthusiasts and overclockers. The fact is that for the heat loads we use, convection simply cannot move water fast enough to be as effective as even a midrange heatpipe solution.
    found some info on it-----google, 30 seconds...
    http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?...it_to_market/1
    "OCZ Hydrojet has discontinued the project because the final product did not meet our requirements when it came to footprint, performance and price for consumers. While we were able to achieve many of the performance milestones we originally defined the cost of the material necessary to produce the Hydrojet was prohibitive, and did not offer what we believed to be a optimal balance of price versus performance to our customers. The Hydrojet was a great concept and we will continue to work on liquid cooling solutions, both external and self contained 100% but will only release products to market when they meet all of the requirements when it comes to performance and value for our customers. "

This was confirmed on the OCZ offical forums, in a response to someone asking when the Hydrojet would be released. The response given by the OCZ Support Forum Manager was:

The Hydrojet was cancelled, we will not be releasing it.

So the Hydrojet won't be appearing on the market, which is a pity as it had some potential. Especially for those who are interested in liquid cooling but don't want the hassle of setting a loop up. You can view the original OC3D article here, and you can also discuss in our forums here.

so basically adding cost to build(by someone else) and profit vs so so performance,they scrapped it?profit margin was not there and performance vs other tec style setups did not make it worthwhile im sure....

other pics,specs below..again google works wonders guys.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/486

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=28645

http://www.techpowerup.com/tags.php?tag=OCZ+HydroJet

@Serra
    "That's just retarded for a company who produces for enthusiasts and overclockers."

produce?they put stickers on already made products and sell them with a good warranty.

find out who the oem is and then questions will be answerd quickly...i like original groups,not cover bands..ocz is a marketing,warranty company basically.if they made there own products these concept idead would go from drawing board,to prototype,to testing to us.there basically at the mercy of another comapany to pull something off for them.there warranty is what makes ocz good.not there stickers on another companys product...this is why i respect danger den and swiftech.all in house right to you,no middle man.

and what ever happened to the phase change CRYO-Z ??????? same senerio im thinking as this carbon thing.....?
    Last edited by railmeat; 05-20-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    heatkiller(rev3) on 2500k@ 4.5ghz 1.35v,8 gigs 2133 ripjaws 1.5v
    Swiftech Mcp-655,1/2in tygon,13x120 sunnons on junk ps,
    (2)triple 120mm rads,Biostar TP67XE(rev 5.2)
    150 gig velicraptor (stable drive) ssds r still buggy!!
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras, sen hd-595s
    Evga Hydro gtX 590,co0lermaster-1250 watt,
    24" Sony fw-900 black ops at @ 2304x1440 85hz/85fps SOLID
    G@m3r 4 L1Fe!!

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0VIEW%20ALL--/
    3dmark 11 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1102387

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The phase change cryo is on the website, so I guess it must be available. I wish this thing got made finally cause it looked like it had potential. I know of people who dont like OCZ stuff, but I for one am all for OCZ and wish they had actually made a commercial version of this.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    sooo what ever happened to this heatsink?
    will it ever be released?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by haylui View Post
    so making carbon heatsink is simply not practical unless they found a really good combination of carbon, close to the perfect structure of diamond....at a cheap price.
    CNT, look into it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    sooo what ever happened to this heatsink?
    will it ever be released?
    2/3 posts above yours buddy :P

discontinued as performance/price wasn't up to expectations.
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme X.I.P.
    heh, sorry, didnt read through that long weird fragmented post by railmeat hehe

so its cancelled huh?
    i always had doubts it would ever come out, but im surprised they were direct enough to say its cancelled instead of claiming its just delayed

It was cancelled alright, the manufacturing cost would have been over US$ 100 and there is simply no way to justify a retail price of ~ $160 for a fraction of a degree better cooling compared to a $49.99 product.

I am Xtreme
    how was it so bad in performance? the main theories sounded like it could be great for getting the heat from the cpu, to the radiator (we all see heatpipes and water trying their best, but surface area is only so limited)

No, the performance wasn't that bad, it was just too expensive to manufacture. We had some prototypes that kicked real ass but unforunately, there was just no way to justify that kind of price tag.

Xtreme Addict
    Who is we? How would you know? Were you one of the developers?

Yes, I used to work for the company who originally developed the concept. This goes back all the way to 2004

Xtreme Legend
    yeah the price tag would have killed it quick
    smart move

too bad though and who knows maybe someone will figure out a way to make it viable

the other issue would have been how brittle carbon is. i wonder what sort of an effect that would have with long terms use
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-Clicks View Post
    I've never been a die-hard fan of OCZ because of that. They put too much gimmick and bling-bling in their marketing. That being said, they do make awesome PSUs which I've owned several of...but they haven't ever really had record setting RAM or more recent GPU overclocks (except in the early days, when their BH-5 and the EB series were good). They've never been good at cooling methods.
    OCZ branded PSUs are usually so-so, their RAM is great for the price most of the time though. Now if you're talking about PC P&C that's another story. BTW lets wait for some tests before jumping to conclusions.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678