Thread: Lap the proc and now OC isn't stable?

Xtreme Member

Lap the proc and now OC isn't stable?

So I lapped my 3060, put her back in, and how she won't run Orthos for more than 30 seconds to 2 minutes at the exact same settings that I ran for over 8 hours. Did I screw something up?

The only thing I can think of is that something got messed up in the socket.

How is stability at stock?

Xtreme Cruncher
    what are your before and after temps?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassan View Post
    what are your before and after temps?
    My temps are (oddly) the exact same (41C idle at 3.6Ghz), though based on what I saw during sanding the IHS was not very flat. My guess is I applied too much AS5 and it is negating the temp reduction the lapping would otherwise have given me. Ive managed to get it stable by going from 9x400 to 8x400, or by lowering the memory clock divider from 4:5 to 1:1 (500mhz to 400mhz). I tried raising the term. voltage to 1.4 and the NB voltage to 1.55, but that didn't have an effect.
    Last edited by vafan13; 03-14-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
    My temps are (oddly) the exact same (41C idle at 3.6Ghz), though based on what I saw during sanding the IHS was not very flat. My guess is I applied too much AS5 and it is negating the temp reduction the lapping would otherwise have given me. Ive managed to get it stable by going from 9x400 to 8x400, or by lowering the memory clock divider from 4:5 to 1:1 (500mhz to 400mhz). I tried raising the term. voltage to 1.4 and the NB voltage to 1.55, but that didn't have an effect.
    The memory divider fixing the problem would eliminate the processor as being the problem, wouldn't it?

Xtreme Member
    I believe I found the problem, yet I don't understand how it has any effect. I had the Vanderpool Technology enabled before, and after putting in the proc (post lapping) I for some reason had turned it off. Now, with it on again, it appears to be stable at the same settings as before.

Xtreme Guru
    I dont know if they was mentioned already but make sure when your done lapping that you clean the base of the CPU off real good

Quote Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
    I believe I found the problem, yet I don't understand how it has any effect. I had the Vanderpool Technology enabled before, and after putting in the proc (post lapping) I for some reason had turned it off. Now, with it on again, it appears to be stable at the same settings as before.
    Hmmm. sounds like some sort of bios glitch.

Xtreme Member
    update your BIOS maybe and then you should try cleaning your CPU w/ some isopropyl or some artic cleaning solution ( my personal fav) then get some shin itsu or w/e its called thermal paste, and then try

Or just use AS5 again and check, this time apply only a small bubble maybe the size of a bb or something. you really dont need alot of AS5 on there, its just to fill in the gaps bro, not to glue your HSF to your proc. try that...
    Intel E2140 @ 3.2ghz Lapped
    TT Big Typhoon Lapped
    Asus P5K-C
    2gb OCZ Gold ddr2 800mhz
    8800GTS 320mb