Thread: Turn inline filter into big external reservoir/filter combo

Xtreme Enthusiast

Turn inline filter into big external reservoir/filter combo

I was thinking about how to set up my loop with both permanent inline filter
    and reservoir at the same time and come to idea which i would like to discuss.

The example of big inline filter from Pentek:
    http://www.pentekfiltration.com/pdfs...20Standard.pdf

10Clear version is what i am about.

There is also a good 1micron filter cartridge with very low pressure drop, suitable
    for the permanent filtering:
    http://www.pentekfiltration.com/pdfs/310111%20ECP.pdf
    ECP1-10 filter will have very low pressure drop for typical flow rates.
    This filter, fully filled with water, will contain several liters.

The only thing left is the hole for water filling/ air bleeding.
    It can easily be created in the bottom of the filter housing, in the center.
    Turned upside down, the filter then can be used as a one huge super reservoir/filter combo. Definitely not for internal use, this will be one hell of external reservoir with huge capacity and filtering at the same time.

For those who like all super-huge, there is even bigger housing versions and bigger filters with even lower pressure drop.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The idea was to turn this filter into the fully functional reservoir/filter combo, with no need for any T-line or additional reservoir. Huge capacity of the housing will make filling /bleeding much easier compared with T-line and also can greatly help to average the temperature for periodic (non-sustained) load.

I was told that the cartridge can be used several years with distilled water in our typical closed loops. Most filtering will be done in the first several days/ week maximum. The cartridge has enough capacity for the very long operation.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, I've got your point.
    Maybe we can use this swiftech T-line with valve for the flushing:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=3723

I wonder is the ball valve reliable enough to hold for the long time with no water leaking?

Xtreme Member
    do you have it yet its bigger than it looks in the pics i was going to run with it but i ditched it.... want one?
    Asus P5W-dh + E6600 + GSKILL 2GB DDR2-800 + Seagate sata2 p-recording + X Fi with front panel + asus 8800gts

Storm + mcmicro + PA-120 + yate loon + MCP655 + ek 8800 gtx

currently working on using my wiimote for pc mouse

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    Ya know,
    One more thing I was thinking about. If your goiing to dtrill a hole in the bottom for a drain. Really check it out first and be carefull. If you notice in the pic of the filter, you can see part of the housing sticking up from the bottom, it's pretty solid and thick there. That's what pushes the cart. up to the top part of the filter and helps create the seal which is crucial for them to work correctly. It's also where the cart. is sealed on the bottom, so any disruption in that area would create a problem if it messed with where the cart. seals.
    Yes, every care must be taken so it will work as designed.

I want to stress again that it can only work as reservoir upside-down, in the normal position it has to be fully filled with water to function and cannot be used for filling/air bleeding.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't get it. Why do you guys need a big ass filter in your loop? Are you running pond water through it?
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
    I don't get it. Why do you guys need a big ass filter in your loop? Are you running pond water through it?
    Small filters have high pressure drop. The bigger the filter, the lower the drop.

I want to make the process of filling/bleeding/flushing the loop as easy as possible.
    Basically, the filling process should consist of two operations
    1) Fill the reservoir.
    2) Run the pump.

The flushing should include opening some valve or fill port and waiting for the loop to flush.
    Last edited by Cronos; 03-11-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
    Small filters have high pressure drop. The bigger the filter, the lower the drop.
    No. Why even have a filter at all? If you clean your components and use distilled water, what is there to filter?
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case