Thread: Corsair HX620W strange noise

Xtreme Member

Corsair HX620W strange noise

I wanted to test the power supply i got a while back for my future quad core system.I currently have a very low spec pc and i tested this high end power supply:Corsair HX620W to see if it works ok or not.
    The specs from my old pc on which I tested the power supply are:
    CPU:Amd Athlon Xp 1700+ @ 2000+ (1667Mhz).
    Mobo:Epox 8KTA3+ Pro Mobo (ATX 1.0 Standard)
    RAM:512MB PC133 SDRAM
    Video:ATI Radeon 9100 Pro (no supplemental power connector)
    HDD:WD 80GB JB
    Opticals:1xTeac CDRW
    2xNEC 3540

I connected all the cables from the Corsair HX620W,booted ok,and started the video stress test in CounterStrike Source.Before starting the test,i heard no sounds from the power supply,but when i started the video test,some strange sounds started to come from it.
    Then i exited CS:S and i started the video stability test from ATI tray tools:the well known black ships that rotate.When i start the test,that strange sound appears,and when i stop the test,the sound appears again.What could be the problem?Is this sound normal or not.For you to make a better idea how that sound is,i attached a sound file with that noise recording.I think that you imagine that with my current system the power supply is under a VERY LOW load.Have a look:
    http://d.turboupload.com/d/1596824/source.mp3.html

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Old CPU's and motherboard's use 5-volt alot more then today's components. The system might have overloaded the 5-volt line, had the same thing going on with my 700 W FSP Epsilon and a AMD athlon XP system.
    AMD Opteron 165 (0615 DPMW) 1800 @ 2831 MHz with 1,4 v | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | eVGA 8800 GT "Vanilla" @ 700/1728/1000 | 2x1gb G.skill 2GBZX | FSP Epsilon 700W | 760 GB Harddrive-space

Xtreme Member
    thx for the reply...i'm more relaxed now

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by david901101 View Post
    Old CPU's and motherboard's use 5-volt alot more then today's components. The system might have overloaded the 5-volt line, had the same thing going on with my 700 W FSP Epsilon and a AMD athlon XP system.
    Yes, 100% wrong PSU/mobo combo.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    I'm going to chime in with an "agree" here too.

You were probably seriously crossloading the PSU with a high +5V load.

Xtreme Member
    Get one of these:

VANTEC ION 2 VAN-460N ATX12V/ EPS12V 460W[/B] [Single +12V Rail] (Perfect for Older (+5V CPU) Systems)
    +5V@30A, 12V@30A, +5VSB@3.0A, Not Rated for Temp or Efficiency, ???yr Warranty
    Specs: http://www.vantecusa.com/p_ion2460.html
    From $60: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...line&scoring=p
    This is my #1 Recommendation for older PC's where the CPU is powered by the +5V rail.