Thread: Internet + hub problem!!

2.4C killer

Internet + hub problem!!

Hey guys been awhile, REALLY long while but I have a problem...

I have Comcast internet and I used a router to connect 2-4 computers to the internet at my old house with no issues. well I moved and got a new account with new modem and I have a Intel Express 140T standalone hub and a Netgear FS524 Switch

I can get my 2 computers to network but right when I plug my internet connection into it, MY computer will usually still connect to the internet but not to the other comp... and the other comp wont connect to anything at all.

Any ideas at all? I need both comps to connect at same time but right now I can only get 1 at a time... its frustrating!

Xtreme Member
    You will need a router to work. Hub or switch won't work for you.
    Most likely that working computer is getting a public IP from the comcast modem. That leave the other computer getting no IP address at all, since Comcast only allow 1 DHCP public IP per account.

That's my assumption, you can double check that by doing an ipconfig and see what IP address those computers have.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 | Asus P5B Plus Vista Edition | OCZ PC2-8500 SLI EPP 4x1GB
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB | SilverStone Strider 560W | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic

Quote Originally Posted by harpyboy
    You will need a router to work. Hub or switch won't work for you.
    Most likely that working computer is getting a public IP from the comcast modem. That leave the other computer getting no IP address at all, since Comcast only allow 1 DHCP public IP per account.

That's my assumption, you can double check that by doing an ipconfig and see what IP address those computers have.
    I'm sure this is the problem. I'm not sure why one would assume that a switch or hub would do the job of a router.

In the meantime you may be able to enable internet connection sharing (I'm assuming its an XP box here, if its not it may be harder/different) and manually configure the other machine to use the first on as a gateway.
    Last edited by AntiNazi; 03-08-2007 at 08:25 PM.
    TForce550se|brisbane3600|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800
    3d2k6 | xfire = theantinazi | F@H