Thread: Reservoir for waterchiller?

Xtreme Member

Reservoir for waterchiller?

Hiya, I built a chiller for a 8800GTX and a E6600.

It's insulated and ready for mounting now, but my customer will need a reservoir. What would you recommend? I'd prefer one that's got room for a Eheim 1250 so we won't have to insulate the pump.

It's not going to be very low temp, maybe about 0*C max. load.

Thanks
    Asus P5K, C2D E8400, Ati HD4870, 2x2GB Mushkin PC-8500.

My R290 single-stager

Xtreme Cruncher
    What about making a reservoir out of pvc tubing in the middle of the coil ?
    It is a nice place to place because it will safe you room and with insulation you can insulate the coil and reservoir at the same time.

Xtreme Mentor
    Don't use a rez, don't need one, the heat exchanger is rez enough. If you add a rez you add more coolant to the loop, which in turn will take longer to pull down and will have more surface area to loose cold to. In terms or performance I like to use no rez, as there is really no point.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    Okay, isn't it going to be kinda difficult to get all the air out of the system then? How would you add coolant?

Also, I doubt the coolant will be below -25*C. What coolant would you have used? Denaturized alcohol (red ethanol) and water?

My R290 single-stager

Xtreme Member
    We put a T-connection right behind the pump and added a 50/50 mix of distilled water and red ethanol.

The chiller pulled down the temp very fast and we let it get down to -27.5*C before we started dual prime on the E6600. Surprisingly the temp didn't go any higher than -26.5*C.

I'll post some pics later

My R290 single-stager

-150c Club Member
    I would have put a resevoir in the middle of your coax...
    T-lines good too though.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    i am extremely pleased with my new chiller, pictures comes also when all is finished. Have to make a nice house to the chiller
    thanks to aasmaukr for all help
    Last edited by The Water Dog; 03-19-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Sounds good. As for coolant methanol/water is a little better then ethanol/water, if you are looking to tweak.
    French Duron Poof

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by epion2985 View Post
    Sounds good. As for coolant methanol/water is a little better then ethanol/water, if you are looking to tweak.
    Thermal conductivity is 0.1 W/mK more well that's 4%...
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
    Thermal conductivity is 0.1 W/mK more well that's 4%...
    spare us your analysis...

The conductivity is better, so is the capacity. Also it has a lower freezing point, meaning you need less of it, meaning you can have more water in the mix, meaning more conductivity and capacity across the coolant.
    French Duron Poof

HEAT

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by epion2985 View Post
    spare us your analysis...

The conductivity is better, so is the capacity. Also it has a lower freezing point, meaning you need less of it, meaning you can have more water in the mix, meaning more conductivity and capacity across the coolant.
    Well lets see:
    Ethanol
    Thermal Conductivity (at room temp) 0.17W/mK
    Specific heat capacity 2.44 J/gK
    Melting point -114.3C

Methanol
    Thermal Conductivity (at room temp) 0.2W/mK
    Specific heat capacity 2.55 J/gK
    Melting point -97C
    (values are rounded)

Don't believe me, do a search and you'll get something like that. Higher specific heat capacity, higher thermal conductivity, higher melting point. For dry ice cooling methanol should be better but the fumes are more toxic, which sucks...
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Mentor
    Those are correct values, however I am still missing your point. There is benefit, it it huge? no, but then no one said it was so its a moot point, thats why I used the words "tweak", ie getting the most out of as given system.

While the numbers may not be very different they are different enough to be useful, if you don't like it don't use it, methanol is no more harmful then ethanol in the given scenario as there are no fumes.

In a way ethanol may be worse as with methanol you use less and more water and the resulting mix has a lower flash point, making it safer form a fire stand point.
    French Duron Poof

HEAT