Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercooling newb help needed.

Question Watercooling newb help needed.

I'm looking to buy some watercooling setup. Now there are a lot of complete sets but I could also build my own set.
    But because I'm a total newb, I don't know what will fit and work together.
    I don't really want to spend more then 200$ maybe 230 but not more. So I saw this Asetek set for 225$ all complete for cpu cooling.
    I'm looking for something silent, but yet powerfull. I'm now running a amd athlon 1400. I would like a set with temps around 40-45c stessed max when I have it oc. Later on I will be getting a p4 I guess and that will run cooler I guess.
    Another very important thing is that the set must go on when I turn on my computer, because I know my mom will forget to turn on the watercooling first and frie my cpu for sure.
    So thats really important.

Can someone help me out here, I see u all know a lot about this so thats why I asked it here.

ps. Sorry for my bad english and my case is a chieftec miditower if thats important ???

Thx guys.

Xtremely slow runner
    Don't worry for something turning on and off, pump are designed to run 24/24h.
    You can always look at swiftech stuff or dangerden, it shouldn't go that high if you only wc the cpu!
    I got my gear for around $200 (shipping included) from DD
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Av by Frisch This is not a Lime tree

Would this be a good set for me then, or should I go for the Asetek Waterchill.

Swiftech Watercooling kit AMD / Pentium IV

1 x Swiftech Waterblok MCW5000 1 x Arctic Silver compound
    1 x 2 meter hose
    1 x Eheim 1048 waterpump
    1 x Eheim anti vibration set
    1 x Slang 2 meter (Non-toxic PVC)
    1 x Engine Ice water
    1 x Black Ice Pro radiator
    1 x Enermax 120mm fan 1 x Power master

This set is 230$ is that a good deal?? And will the temps and noise level be low??

Thx

Xtreme Relic
    arnaudnl,

First, Welcome to Xtreme!

That sounds like an excellent choice to me! All top quality stuff. You may want to consider a reservoir . Check this out on how to make your own for this pump http://www.overclockers.com/tips209/
    What does this mean? "1 x Engine Ice water "
    I don't think it would be too loud, but I run a lot of loud stuff, it doesn't bother me. A rheobus for the fan would be nice. As to price...shop your price around the net, but don't buy from anyone with low reseller ratings...not worth the possible hassles. I would go with what you have put together over the Asetek Waterchill...I don't like the Asetek WB.
    I would go with 1/2 inch tubing and stems for WB...3/8 comes on that WB unless you specify 1/2.

Hope you stick around and share your experiences with us!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

The engine ice water is water with allready all the stuff mixed if I remember it right, blue color, waterwetter and water :P

I hope it won't be too loud. And how much power does this all take up? Because if I leave it on 24/7 you know :P

But I've seen some kits that will auto turn it on/off. But I can't find any dutch resellers.
    Ah well I think I'm going for the swiftech set then, first I'll have to wait and see if I passed my exams

What did u mean with 'rheobus', I'm a real newb to all of this cooling, mayb a stupid question :P (edit: if you mean control the fan speed, this fan can be controled allready )

And about the recevoir, is that really important, and if so, why
    Sorry for all the questions, but I need to learn all this step by step.

Thx
    Last edited by arnaudnl; 05-29-2003 at 04:39 AM.

Xtremely slow runner
    He doesn't need a rheobus, the enermax fan has one included.
    What is 1 x 2 meter hose ? Is that the tubing? Take 10ft (about 4m), don't choose pvc but buy clearflex or tygon, you won't regret it!
    Don't buy the BIX but a heatercore, it cools as well (or better) and is much cheaper
    Any swiftech will be better than a kit
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Xtreme Relic
    What did u mean with 'rheobus', I'm a real newb to all of this cooling, mayb a stupid question :P (edit: if you mean control the fan speed, this fan can be controled allready
    Yes...sorry...didn't notice that. If you follow the link, you will see the reservoir. Allows you to add more coolant volume, thus better cooling.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Xtremely slow runner
    TheDude, do you really think a res is better? I'm a fan of T lines

What is 1 x 2 meter hose ? Is that the tubing? Take 10ft (about 4m), don't choose pvc but buy clearflex or tygon, you won't regret it!
    Don't buy the BIX but a heatercore, it cools as well (or better) and is much cheaper
    Any swiftech will be better than a kit
    Thx for your reply, my english is not so good so could u please explain some things.

BIX/heatercore what do you mean with that? and with hose I meant tubing :P I've got a store nearby that sells silecone tubing so I will replace it with that.
    Last edited by arnaudnl; 05-29-2003 at 07:07 AM.

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by antipop
    TheDude, do you really think a res is better? I'm a fan of T lines
    Personaly....I like a big res....the more coolant the better.

Xtremely slow runner
    Originally posted by TheDude
    Personaly....I like a big res....the more coolant the better.
    But you'll have to get the right one! Like the dd one is crappy

For the hose, don't get silicon! I've bought them because it wwas cheap but now i wish i had bought the tygon instead. If you can avoid silicon and pvc.
    A BIX is the rad you've chosen but if you buy a heatercore (they use it in cars) it'll be the same thing but cheaper.

Thx for the explaining, so I don't want sillicone or pvc. Ok I understand. For the radiator, I will look around, but I think I will keep the BIX :P Cause I don't know where to get a car radiator and if I do get one, I won't know if it's broken or not so just to start I'll stick to the BIX. :P

I will look around for the parts and sets, I think I know enough for now.

Thx all off u guys, when I get watercooling, I will post here how it all goes.

Check here for the heater core http://www.dtekcustoms.com/store.asp

AMD AthlonXP 2400+@14X166
    Asus A7V333
    ATI Radeon9700pro
    Performance Cooled by D-Tek & Danger Den

Xtremely slow runner
    Where do you live arnaudnl?

I'm from Holland :P , Apeldoorn. And I have been looking for shops that sell this tygon tubing but I can't seem to find any
    And the set I wanted to order is from www.oc-shop.nl.

Ps. What temps can I expect from the set in the third post (the swiftech set :P )? My room temperature is about 20c. My cpu is a athlon Tbird 1400.
    I would like to know what I can expect if possible :P
    Now I'm cooling with a Zallman 6000cu. And I get about 40c idle and 45 load on full speed.
    Last edited by arnaudnl; 05-30-2003 at 06:16 AM.

Xtremely slow runner
    Good luck finding tygon in europe! I'm in france and i haven't found any exept one in UK but the shipping was quite expensive.
    I advice you to look at the shops in the US, the shipping is a bit high (around $20-40) but you'll save on the parts (and now the euro is pretty strong against the dollar)
    You can check Dangerden, or cooltechnica web site
    I had a Tbird1333, with a thermalright sk6+ blak delta my temp were around 45°C@1450MHz after watercooling my temp were around 40°C@1580MHz

I did find a dutch site that has tygon tubing. But I dont know if it's the right size :S

The size is inside : 9.5mm (3/8")
    outside : 16mm (5/8")

Will that fit on the swiftech block?

btw the site is www.tweakstore.nl if it's of any use for dutch overclockers here who are looking for tygon tubing :P

Xtreme Relic
    yeah...the default size for swiftech is 3/8 unless you specify that you want 1/2 inch....just make sure when you order they are all the same size fittings...in this case, it sounds like you are going with 3/8 inch...don't assume anything...make sure they are all the same.

Ok thx , will do

edit : and ow, uhm, does it matter what recevoir i get? I mean there are some that are made for the eheim 1048 but they are made of plastic, alluminium or plexiglass. Alu should be the best I think or doesnt it make any difference?

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by arnaudnl
    Ok thx , will do

edit : and ow, uhm, does it matter what recevoir i get? I mean there are some that are made for the eheim 1048 but they are made of plastic, alluminium or plexiglass. Alu should be the best I think or doesnt it make any difference?
    Probably not a lot of difference, the metal one would radiate heat ....so if mounted inside the case, it may heat the case up some.

Xtremely slow runner
    Originally posted by arnaudnl
    Ok thx , will do

Don't get Al res, cause there might be some battery effect between the res and the other parts in Cu. Plastic or Plexi seems to be the more common

Xtreme Addict
    are the radiators and heat core the same?

Xtremely slow runner
    They've the same purpose but they differ by the way they cool, i don't really know the details but i can look for it.
    Basically, the radiator is a big copper tub with fins soldered on it

Xtreme Addict
    thanks anti but which gives a better performance in your opinion?

and another thing for Intel's CPU what is the best waterblock? Dangerden MAze4, swiftech 5000, or the Whitewater of cathar?

Jeff

Xtremely slow runner
    Originally posted by JeffPH
    thanks anti but which gives a better performance in your opinion?

and another thing for Intel's CPU what is the best waterblock? Dangerden MAze4, swiftech 5000, or the Whitewater of cathar?

Jeff
    IMHO the heatercore is the best one, and the cheapest!
    I've never heard of the maze4. For the moment, the best out there is the whitewater but you'll have to wait a month or so before it's released. Otherwise both swiftech and DD product are good and temp wise they don't differ much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast