Thread: Strategy for the short to medium term

Strategy for the short to medium term

So... n values have broken 13XXXXXXX and with that scores get a little harder to get as n increases over time.

Now heres the strategy. SBQUEUE. You'll find the info about SBQ in the sticky.

Basically what I try and do is download a full months worth (or 3 weeks anyway) and keep it in the Queue. And everytime a test finishes i Dl another 1 or 2. The goal is to always have a few weeks work Q'd up. don't Dl more than a month or else they'll be seen as dead tests if they are not worked on and returned within a month. Why all this you ask?

Well, as i predict that the n vaules of tests will keep increasing for a while, in a months time I'll be working on a n vaule, that was Dl'ed today. Most other people will be working on an n value that will be higher than this. therefore slightly less credits.
    In effect you'll be always a few weeks ahead on the n values, while the normal Joe Schmos will be crunchin current and in most cases higher n values.

This will give our small number of crunchers the edge.

Xtreme DČOL Watch Dog
    Hmm maybe I'll have to try this, is this how you are doing those dumps every few days? How long before you pass me for good?

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I did this same thing in PSP:S, I reserved a chunk that easily was going to take me a few months just so that I'd get some denser ranges. It really sucks when you see the newer ranges reporting duplicates and simply no values.

Quote Originally Posted by Helheim View Post
    Hmm maybe I'll have to try this, is this how you are doing those dumps every few days? How long before you pass me for good?
    Well helheim, considering my post above is back in Feb, can't say i didn't share the wisdom.

Would you believe that i have crunchers not on the permanent net. Some dumps are done using a bluetooth USB connection to my cell phone for some PC's.

The dumps with SBQueue are more of a convenience also as well as startegy. Reporting to SBQue rules out DNS, or network problems that can slow the client down sometimes.
    I estimate the next DUMP i will do will the last time i will have to pass you, even though one of my machines is limping on single channel ram.

If you want another free tip... for dual/quads get yourself some very fast ram, and clock it. Doesn't have to be 1:1. The ram has a VERY dramatic effect on this. So much so that I would wager that the bandwith is never enough regardless of possible ram speed. I'm guessing you may already know this.. others may not.

EDIT: Would it help to know that one of your former DX's helped me get 1st.
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 08-13-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Xtreme DČOL Watch Dog
    So how many computers do you have running SOB?

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Well helheim, considering my post above is back in Feb, can't say i didn't share the wisdom.

Would you believe that i have crunchers not on the permanent net. Some dumps are done using a bluetooth USB connection to my cell phone for some PC's.

The dumps with SBQueue are more of a convenience also as well as startegy. Reporting to SBQue rules out DNS, or network problems that can slow the client down sometimes.
    I estimate the next DUMP i will do will the last time i will have to pass you, even though one of my machines is limping on single channel ram.

If you want another free tip... for dual/quads get yourself some very fast ram, and clock it. Doesn't have to be 1:1. The ram has a VERY dramatic effect on this. So much so that I would wager that the bandwith is never enough regardless of possible ram speed. I'm guessing you may already know this.. others may not.

EDIT: Would it help to know that one of your former DX's helped me get 1st.

C2D @ 1.83 (T60 No OC )
    DX (PCH-DL) @ 3.0Ghz
    QX6700 @ 3.2Ghz
    QX6700 @ 3.6Ghz
    E6600 @ 3.2Ghz. (waiting for rma ram to get back to full speed)
    P4 2.4Ghz Lappy.

^^^^^^^^^^Not all the time on SOB ... but recently full blast. Had a major RAM blowup/shortage that put a QX67 out for a week.

Have already started BOINC on the QX6700 @ 3.6 so its jostling with SOB.

OK. Rechencraft are limping along at 19 days out at the moment. I'll be making that a little shorter. They're going down.