Thread: p5b + E6400 ocing issues

p5b + E6400 ocing issues

Greetings gents,

I have been having a heck of a time with my P5B Deluxe system and E6400. I simply can’t seem to get it stable at 3-3.2ghz and I can’t figure out why.

I have already gone through two 6400’s (more than one core2 system, but this is my only ocing board) and the results are about the same. While folding, one of the cores will dump WU's but the other will be fine and both E6400's exhibit this behavior. It seems odd that one of the cores will decide to dump WU’s but the other core chugs along just fine on both 6400's.

Everyone else seems to be flying along at ~3.5 easily enough but none of mine can even get close to that. One processor being a dud I could accept but both, which were purchased months apart? Funny how I can call a chip like this that isn't capable of 3ghz a 'dud'

Bios v804.

Bios set for 1.35vcore, CPUZ reports it at 1.27 (would rather not go any further with V's as it is already hot)
    Bus speed at 400mhz (so 1600fsb)
    Everything else set to auto/defaults

PS is an antec smart power 2.0 500w, it is only powering the core components and a pci video card.

The ram is a single stick of 512 DDR2 800 from Wintec.

Some baffling things I have come across on this long journey: The bios that came with this board severely overvolted the original 6400, so much so it was throttling just getting to the dekstop. I was thankful I didn’t kill the processor outright. The original bios was also locking the bus to the ram, so in other words if I increased the FSB it was only ocing the proc, not anything else. Why was this feature removed from later bios’? There aren’t any memory dividers either?

I would have tried the newer bios if it wasn’t for everyone having issues with PCI cards being used in the system, since this is my only source of video for the time being I can’t afford to flash it and then not be able to flash it back to an older one when something goes wrong.

Insight or personal experiences with this board? It would be greatly appreciated as I have been chipping away at this system for about a month and a half now between work. I also find it disheartening that in the P5B fix thread here on the board and every single other C2D user can get their chips past mine and most at stock voltage. Clearly I am doing something wrong here.

*Edit, crap, this is the P5B Deluxe if anyone is wondering.
    Last edited by custompccases; 02-13-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I'm very positive is just has to do with the fact that you are not able to give it enough voltage. A lot of these need 1.5v+ to hit that 3.5mhz mark. I'm on my second e6600 and both just are not good performers. My first one needed 1.5v in bios just to do 3.2 stable. My second one is better only by about 200mhz. Sometimes it's just about the lottery.
    Last edited by BMORIN; 02-13-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    3700+ San Diego @ 1.7v
    2x512 pc4000 Mushkin Redline @ 3.6v
    MSI k8n neo2
    x800xtpe
    Mach 2 cooled

Superpi (1.4mod) --> 24.7 sec
    3DMark '01 ---> 37.8k on stock x800xt (526/573)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by custompccases
    Greetings gents,

I have been having a heck of a time with my P5B Deluxe system and E6400. I simply can’t seem to get it stable at 3-3.2ghz and I can’t figure out why.

I have already gone through two 6400’s (more than one core2 system, but this is my only ocing board) and the results are about the same. While folding, one of the cores will dump WU's but the other will be fine and both E6400's exhibit this behavior. It seems odd that one of the cores will decide to dump WU’s but the other core chugs along just fine on both 6400's.

Everyone else seems to be flying along at ~3.5 easily enough but none of mine can even get close to that. One processor being a dud I could accept but both, which were purchased months apart? Funny how I can call a chip like this that isn't capable of 3ghz a 'dud'

Bios v804.

Bios set for 1.35vcore, CPUZ reports it at 1.27 (would rather not go any further with V's as it is already hot)
    Bus speed at 400mhz (so 1600fsb)
    Everything else set to auto/defaults

PS is an antec smart power 2.0 500w, it is only powering the core components and a pci video card.

The ram is a single stick of 512 DDR2 800 from Wintec.

Some baffling things I have come across on this long journey: The bios that came with this board severely overvolted the original 6400, so much so it was throttling just getting to the dekstop. I was thankful I didn’t kill the processor outright. The original bios was also locking the bus to the ram, so in other words if I increased the FSB it was only ocing the proc, not anything else. Why was this feature removed from later bios’? There aren’t any memory dividers either?

I would have tried the newer bios if it wasn’t for everyone having issues with PCI cards being used in the system, since this is my only source of video for the time being I can’t afford to flash it and then not be able to flash it back to an older one when something goes wrong.

Insight or personal experiences with this board? It would be greatly appreciated as I have been chipping away at this system for about a month and a half now between work. I also find it disheartening that in the P5B fix thread here on the board and every single other C2D user can get their chips past mine and most at stock voltage. Clearly I am doing something wrong here.

*Edit, crap, this is the P5B Deluxe if anyone is wondering.

what you mean no dividers? your board must be mislabeled with a bios from who knows where?

what problems with pci cards? what is the rating for this memory? then go to the tips section for o/cing before you waste any more time.

you should be able to determine your problem very quickly http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=115765 after reviewing this link.
    Last edited by swiftex; 02-13-2007 at 09:06 PM.

I didn't say that right, I meant no dividers as in being able to run the FSB <-> CPU at 400 and the ram at say, for example, 200. You can only do the opposite and run your memory at its rated speed and have the FSB <-> CPU run slower. The original bios that came with the board seemed to allow it, not sure why the newer bios changed that.

The board isn't mislabeled and the bios came from Asus directly.

The problems with the PCI cards are explained in the P5B FAQ thread, most are experiencing issues with audigy cards but I know quite a few people who say that any PCI card will cause an issue.

I have already checked out that thread as well, FCG's p5b bios shots were nice but it didn't help any with the OC results.

Thanks for the replies!
    Last edited by custompccases; 02-13-2007 at 09:34 PM.