Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experiment Cu: vinegar, vinegar + salt, solvent

Xtreme Cruncher
    WTF look, if solvent/thinner/alcohol/whatever is dangerous to use, then quite a few people would've perished in a dry ice session
    Thank you so much Thrilla, now people can finally see for themselves what vinegar does. Just a note on vinegar, vinegar (commercially availiable) has a pH of 2.4, and acetic acid itself can eat through pretty much any metal except aluminum because the oxide layer that forms on aluminum can protect it from acetic acid. According to wikipedia acetic acid is very corrosive for its acidity, but that might not be true, but again it might be.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Steak for Breakfast
    LMAO and don't try the vinegar and salt lol, it's like a blue copper mud right now. I'd use alcohol than paint thinner if I had some, cuz paint thinner is poisonous, alcohol isn't. But still, anti-freeze is more deadly than paint thinner and people use it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sorry, I'm going to pick at what you said.
    Alcohol is toxic, just not as toxic as paint thinner (acetone right?). Well it also depends on the alcohol. Ethanol takes quite a bit to harm you (a bit of acetone still ends up in your liver...), isopropyl screws your liver with an overdose of acetone and you get digestive problems if it gets in your mouth. Methanol (this is my favorite) gets metabolized into formaldehyde which is poisonous and carcinogenic in large amounts, and destroys your optic nerve. Too much formaldehyde, the formic acid that builds up in your system will poison you and you die, the end.

Steak for Breakfast
    I don't think any of us work with those stuff on daily basis... just like how spray paint is toxic, but a case mod or two does nothing to your body. And if you DO perform them on daily basis... I'm sure you'll have a closet full of protection or cleaning tools.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Bah, there's plenty of toxic stuff we breath in. Riding my bike to school involves breathing in the nitrous oxides and crap coming from the exhaust pipes of gigantic SUVs that burn gas faster than I can drink root beer. Plenty of sulfric acid, nitric acid, lots of carcinogenic stuff, you name it. Besides, if I were to spray paint something, I'd hold my breath the whole time the same way I hold my breath, run 10 feet away, take a breath, run back, when I use epoxy.

Steak for Breakfast
    hahaha same here, even when I solder, I'd use a respirator. Spray painting gives you huge lung capacities lol

Xtreme Cruncher
    I use lead free solder... I'm used to the lead fume smell anyways. Its not nearly as bad as epoxy.

Steak for Breakfast
    It's not the lead its the flux lol, solder itself doesn't produce fumes. I haven't used epoxy in ages after I bought an oxy propane torch lol =P

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, so in-conclusion: What is the best rad/ waterblock cleaner to use, and for how long? (That won't make your tubes cloudy)

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Guru
    Gotta love your strap-on macro lens, Thrilla.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain
    Ok, so in-conclusion: What is the best rad/ waterblock cleaner to use, and for how long? (That won't make your tubes cloudy)
    The cleaner should not make your tubes cloudy, if you were smart enough to rinse it out whatever it is. Assuming that you are using PVC tubing, anything but ketones (that you would use to clean it) will not do any damage. I have alcohol sitting in a section of tubing for 2 months already, and it is crystal clear. Don't tell me you listened to Spawne32's BS.

Xtreme Addict
    Didn't listen to his BS. Same question, with clear tubing.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is why I just use scalding hot water
    Media PC:[AMD x2 4800][MSI K9N-SLI][2x1gig Corsair DDR2 800][ATI 3650 AIW][Asus Xonar D2X][500gig Samsung SATA][Crap Antec Case and PSU]

Xtreme Addict
    So thats it eh? Scalding hot water?

I've found a 5% HCl + 95% distilled water mixture works best. Rinse with pure distilled water. Cleans copper in seconds. Keep it off any paint though.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey
    Incredible man, all I can say and will.

andyc
    Log Out time for me, its pointless

Xtreme Legend
    We put salt and vinegar on our chips (fries) over in Australia. Nice on deep fried dim-sims too.

Not too sure about radiators. A little too crunchy methinks.
    Last edited by Cathar; 03-05-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathar
    We put salt and vinegar on our chips (fries) over in Australia. Nice on deep friend dim-sims too.

XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathar
    We put salt and vinegar on our chips (fries) over in Australia. Nice on deep fried dim-sims too.

If your rad cleaner doesn't taste good, how are you going to clean it out with your tounge?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbin
    I've found a 5% HCl + 95% distilled water mixture works best. Rinse with pure distilled water. Cleans copper in seconds. Keep it off any paint though.
    HCl...... I would be scared to put that stuff on anything metal. Its pH is a little lower than pure acetic acid (if I calculated properly which I think I did). In 5th grade I did an experiment with that stuff. I was really evil, I had a 1% mixture or something like that, and I watered some plants with it and they all turned black and died. It happened so that I spilled some 30% HCl on my pants and it left an orange stain on the green pants

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanut View Post
    If your rad cleaner doesn't taste good, how are you going to clean it out with your tounge?
    That sounds pretty gross. Wonder who would clean out the radiator with their tounge. I suppose if you only had a little bit left in there....no, n/m not even then. *bleh*

Ammonia attacks copper, if you'd like to try that.

This is a nice experience, yesterday i bought vinegar to clean my radiator... Perhaps i'll have to clean this with hot water like back in the days...
    E6550
    Asus P5K
    EVGA 7900GS 256MB
    2*1GB Team Elite 667mhz
    Seagate Barracuda 320GB/80GB
    Enermax Liberty 620W

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasy View Post
    This is a nice experience, yesterday i bought vinegar to clean my radiator... Perhaps i'll have to clean this with hot water like back in the days...
    Vinegar is no longer used to clean anything, unless you have a bit of tarnish you'd like to remove from a block. Even then, we prefer Ketchup for a few minutes.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    I use X300 Universal Cleanser, it’s used buy heating engineers to Flushes out flux and installation debris from new indirect central heating systems.

I spoke with the tech department at Sentinel and they told me it wouldn’t harm my watercooling parts.

So I used it to clean my PA120.3 & BIP before installing, and it did a great job.

I’m just about to strip my system down to do a full clean, so I’ll use it again.

http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en...g-Chemical.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2874 copy.jpg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	67959  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast