X

Subscribe to New Ads!

Receive weekly ads in your inbox!

Thread: mATX phasechange

Question mATX phasechange

Can it be done? I have wanted to do this for quite a while, and now with the Thermaltake Lanbox out, I can fit fullsize gear in a small rig, with a quality handle! So can this be done? I want a system that can be on 24/7 and cool a qx6700 or x6800. The dimensions are 300 x 430 x 230mm (H x W x D). I figured I could mount the compresser and the condenser in a custom make enclosure that is secured to the bottom of the box. So wat do you guys think?

Nick

HVAC/R student
    So you basicly want a case that's as big as the Lanbox, so they'll be flush? One could do it using a small compressor, such as the BD-50. But no, to handle a QX, or any Conroe, you would need something a lot bigger. I'm not an expert here though, but I think it's unlikely.
    ...is no longer working as an assistant HVAC/R-installer...
    But, is still blasting 20000 songs of real Rap

thats what i feared, not big enough to house the equipment needed to cool the quadcore beast. damn... O well, now onto the Mountain Mods Twice7, my next phasechange project to-be. A 14 inch x 14 inch cube Hoping that will go better

-150c Club Member
    Thats easy to put a single stage in on the backside of the cuber.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Addict
    The 12/24v compressors are a real challenge to tune for any kind of high load, that's true.

But I see a few people talking about small compressors like they can't do the job on 250w.

A 6cc compressor can easily hold 200-400w. I used a 7cc Danfoss for a Chiller that was tuned for 350w. Couldn't get it to hold 400w the way I was working with it, but I used 5.5' of .031" and that's starting to stretch the limit.

That was also a 134a compressor and 404a/402a blended, and gave about 3c water on 300w.

For the most part, the compressor does NOT dictate the max. capacity of the system. It only dictates the temperature the system is capable of at a given load. The rest of the system set's the capacity up. There are certain limits to this, as a very tiny compressor and a massive load will end up being more trouble than it's worth to even try it, and the result would be very poor at best.

So yes, if you could find a small case and a suitable compressor of a decent size, you could probably make it work, you just have to design the system properly to hold the capacity and deal with the returning liquid with heat exchange.

I'm finding, though, that when using a small compressor that's holding larger loads, it's better to use a M/HBP comrpessor, as you tend to run the system into the specs of a medium backpressure compressor.

I've always thought that the twice7 would work well with incorporated phase, though it's still quite small, and you'd have to be pretty clever about the install

Cheers

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337
    Thats easy to put a single stage in on the backside of the cuber.
    I disagree. I am putting one in to a full sized U2-UFO right now and things are pretty tight. Water cooling is pretty tight in a twice7, I would like to see someone fit a single stage in there, it won't be a walk in the park if at all possible.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

HVAC/R student
    Of course, the compressor alone does not "dictate" the load capacity. But will he be able to find a condenser that can dissipate that much heat, and still be able to fit the case? Making a case as wide as the lanbox is probably doable, but, it'd have to be very tall I think.

Could be cool though, having this large column under the case :P
    ...is no longer working as an assistant HVAC/R-installer...
    But, is still blasting 20000 songs of real Rap

Xtreme Addict
    Whether it can be done or not, I think it would be a very big challenge to take on for your first build!

Xtreme Mentor
    Like Soddem said, small compressor means compromising temperatures, which kind of makes phase change a moot point, you might as well stick to water or pelts. Not much point in putting a 30 pound vibrating rock in your case if it wont get you very cold.
    Last edited by epion2985; 02-08-2007 at 11:01 AM.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT