Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 1333 FSB Mod, Confirmed To Be Working By Me.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

1333 FSB Mod, Confirmed To Be Working By Me.

Updated for Easier Pic.

This is showing the bottom of the CPU as if you had it upside down, facing you.

Original Post.

got bored tonight and was looking around at VR forums and came across a old pic Shamino posted awhile back and thought... why not give it a shot...

so I took one of my spare conroes, and got my conductive ink pen, did the mod, let it dry, took my PC apart and popped this in... and it almost worked.

it booted at 1333, then I rebooted, and it went back to 1066... and was jumping back and forth.
    so I took the CPU out, and saw, I didnt have a nice clean connection between the two BSEL pads... so I traced over it again, and let it dry, blah blah blah...

10 minutes later... it works.
    now, it's working just fine.

boots up everytime at 7 x 333.

no big deal really since I know this CPU can do over 590, but its still fun to have a higher default FSB for the hell of it.

I wanted to see if this works, so I could try it on my quad core CPU...
    hoping theres a slim chance in hell, that if it boots at 1333, the chipset strap will be looser, and give me some extra OC room.
    thats a 1-100 shot... but if I never do it, how can I say it wont work??

atleast this one worked.

what would be kinda interesting, is if you took a E4300, and did this mod to it, assuming you knew the CPU could do 3 ghz, it would boot up at 9 x 333 for 3 ghz.
    that would be pretty cool for those cheap boards that been coming out at Frys and such, with the CPU.

anyways, next try is to make my Quad Core do the same thing...
    not really holding my breath on it, but its worth a shot.

heres the boot up speed I got from CPUZ after the mod.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=165085

total down time, about 20-30 minutes, to take it apart, do the mod, let it dry and put it back together.

last note...
    before doing this kinda mod, make sure you have a bios on your board that will allow a 1333 FSB CPU to be used in that board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1333fsbid4.jpg 
Views:	86760 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	55495  
    Last edited by Kunaak; 02-06-2007 at 06:53 PM.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

interesting post
    Processor: Core 2 E6400 @2.67GHz Lapped
    Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (1707 Bios)
    Graphics: MSI 7900GS 256MB @ 450/1320
    Memory: 2x1GB Micron PC4200 “D9CRZ” fatbody chips @833MHZ 4-4-3-12 2.45v
    Power: Antec Neo HE 500 Watt
    Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sennheiser HD595
    Harddrives: 250GB WD2500KS
    Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120, Zalman VF900-CU, OCZ XT
    Case: Antec P180

Memory Addict
    ah interesting to see how the quad core cpu does
    ---

heres some better proof that it works.

you can't fool the "Auto" setting.
    set it to auto in bios, it should go back to default 1066...

but as you can see here... it doesn't.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	65817 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	55468  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Champion
    cool Kunaak. nice idea
    most interesting to me would be to see if this has any effect on fsb walls when using 6x.
    all the conroes i've had have walled somewhere below 500fsb :/ (some as low as 460 even on p5b-dlx)
    so here i am buying and selling cpu's just trying to find one that will go to a decent speed on LN2 without having to buy the hellishly expensive unlocked series.

(intel i hope you read this...fix your fbs wall issue please )

I honestly dont believe CPUs have FSB walls.

2 years ago, if you claimed to be able to get a Pentium 4 to 500+ on the FSB. people would have just said you were a liar.

today, people do it all the time, in these latest 7 and 8 ghz LN2 tests with pentium 4's and the latest generation boards.

Champion
    ummm...well you would if you had 2 e6600 at 6X multiplier that stopped going faster at inexplicably low fsb on a p5b-dlx known to go much higher on the fsb.
    swop one chip for the other and the fsb wall changes....and this all while hovering below 3ghz for the core....

fsb walls exist...you just have to look for them
    Last edited by s e t h; 02-06-2007 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flytek
    ummm...well you would if you had 2 e6600 at 6X multiplier that stopped goin faster at inecplicably low fsb on a p5b-dlx known to go much higher on the fsb.
    swop one chip for the other and the fsb wall changes....and this all while hovering below 3ghz for the core....

fsb walls exist...you just have to look for them
    no they dont.

the P5B deluxe has a NBCC that gets higher the lower you set the multiplier.

say you have your E6600 and are setting 6 x 500 cause you think that will work.

Multiplier divide by set multiplier = X, take X and multiply that by the FSB, then take that number and multiply that by 4 and you get the NBCC.

9/6 = 1.5 x 500 = 750 x 4 = 3000 mhz.

a 3 ghz NBCC is extremely high and in 90% of cases will not be bootable.

a CPU with a lower default multiplier has a far better chance at hitting 500 then a CPU with a high multiplier, which is why you see E6300's do it all the time, but never a E6700.

yes, the 4 meg cache will hold them back... but even a 4 meg cache CPU can hit 500 stable... so thats not the issue.
    its the north bridge core clock.

a typical NBCC will not like going higher then about 2400 mhz before freaking out.

if your doing default multiplier, 2400 is enough for a 600 FSB.
    but once you lower your FSB, you start to drastically decrease your CPU's ability to hit stable FSBs that are really high cause you greatly increase the NBCC faster.

Champion
    funny that...as i was using 2 e6600's so as not to have the issue supposedly created by non default multipliers.
    both e6600 have fsb walls
    one at 460 and the other at 495fsb.
    now the the really strange thing is that changing the miltiplier back to default and using -70' phase cooling made the fsb wall on both slightly worse....

so after extensive testing i can comfortably say the theory of the nb strap and default multi creating a NB fsb wall is not applicable in this case.
    also i can say with 100% certainty that changing the multiplier does nothing to move the fsb wall.
    and lastly two of the exactly the same cpu (using whatever multy is needed to rule out core speed as the wall) can and do have FSB WALLS at different frequencies.

if you have 2 of the same cpu like i did at the time you will be able to see the same behaviour i would think.
    unless your board walls first or the cpu's are so identical that spotting the differece becomes difficult.

enough with your CPU, if you wanna discuss it further, start a topic please and dont hijack mine.

Quad Core 1333 FSB Mod Works.

Name:	cpu-2666.JPG 
Views:	66021 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	55469  

Xtreme Addict
    very nice..
    Asus P5W64 WS Professional , DFI Infinity 965P-S (testing)
    X6800 , E6750 es
    Micron Fatbodies , Micron D9gkx oem, Crucial 8000, Crucial Tracer 8500 (incomming)
    Ati FireGL V5100, Elsa FireGL V3100
    water cooling setup (EK 775 cpu block, swiftech NB Block, Swiftech pump, BI dual pass dual 120mm)
    Silverstone OP650
    raptors, baracuda

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I wonder if there is any way to play with Bsel pads to force the 1066 strap all the time on a 1066 strap cpu....mostly for Asus P5Bdlx that switches strap at 401 by itself, could something like that work?

Champion
    oh well...this just reminded me of the lanparty revb days when ppl modded the cpu's default fsb and wound up getting higher clocks from it.

thanks for reminding me of that situation as now i can test this method you brought to my attention and see what effect it might have on conroe fsb walls.

will post back if this does indeed wind up helping max clocks in certain situations

Yeah....

it does help alittle for Quad Cores.

Been Running 350 FSB tops for the last 2 days (since I moved from the P5B deluxe to this board 2 days ago) and now, I can get 366 stable.
    still no 400+ very easy... it will boot, but wont make it into windows at more then 400+ yet.

but still, this is a improvement of 16 FSB.
    pretty cool so far.

Name:	yeah.JPG 
Views:	64173 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	55470  

¿
    Good to see it working on Quad, lot's of chip's may get some remodeling on the underside now. Nice one kunaak.

Xtreme Member
    btw kunaak, the idea of NBCC was discarded. even by Tony
    but nice to see that bsel trick has an use now with those 1333 fsb bioses..
    when i tried it a while back, i had asus p5wdh and of course it didnt help at all.

by the way - does the 1333 nb strap kick in with 1333 fsb cpu or does it still require booting at 401+ as usual?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    very nice we should only short red line with conductive pen for FSB 1333?
    www.HotOverclock.com Founder & Editor in Chief
    ---------------------
    Upgrading to X58 ...

Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz FSB 423MHz w/Swiftech H2O 120 Compact Dual 120mm fan Last OC Details Here
    abit IX38 QuadGT Rev1.0 (X38 Rev.01)
    4x1GB Patriot +SL PC2-6400 Based on Aeneon AET760UD00-25D Chips! @ 1:1 1000MHz 5-4-4-8 2.0v
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 A2 Normal Edition @ Core 820MHz Mem 2100MHz
    Display 19" LG FLATRON L1960TR LCD Contrast 3000:1 Response Time 2ms Lightning Fast!! w/f-Engine Chip and DFC Technology
    HDD 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS
    HDD 120GB Maxtor Max.10 6L120M0

PSU Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000 Watt Six 12v Rail and Dual Seperate Board
    A4Tech X7 Gaming Mouse X-750BF Dual Laser Engin w/2500DPI
    More about my Memory : it can do 950MHz 4-4-4-8 2.0v Stable and 1100MHz 5-7-7-12 2.2v Stable and 1200MHz 6-8-8-21 2.3v not Stable!

Heres the Mod as I did it.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	91733 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	55471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	120062 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	55472  

Xtremely Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by caater
    btw kunaak, the idea of NBCC was discarded. even by Tony
    Right, lower multi doesnt mean less FSB.

by the way - does the 1333 nb strap kick in with 1333 fsb cpu or does it still require booting at 401+ as usual?
    Thats what id like to know, 401 or at another point..
    Last edited by Viss; 02-06-2007 at 03:00 AM.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak

2 years ago, if you claimed to be able to get a Pentium 4 to 500+ on the FSB. people would have just said you were a liar.

today, people do it all the time, in these latest 7 and 8 ghz LN2 tests with pentium 4's and the latest generation boards.
    I think believe CPUs have fsb walls..

Why?

I tested my E6600ES in Asus P5B-Deluxe..
    Max FSB test, with..

6x ratio: 530Mhz with air
    7X ratio: 530Mhz with air
    8x ratio: 530Mhz with air

8x ratio: 566Mhz with Vapochill LS

I think need cold (delta temp) for cpu, if we break over fsb wall.
    "We are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation is to compete for victory" - Ayrton Senna

the jedi master
    Pre 1333fsb support added to bios this mod did not work, Post support we now have it working.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Kunaak:
    We've been doing this over in the WCG section for a couple months now on the woodcrest and clovertown rigs.
    The clovers are essentially Kentsfields with some added instructions to run in duals. Keep in mind that the boards we work with don't have the OC features that the gaming boards have so we had to get a little creative.
    I've run my dual clovertown 2667/8mb/1066 up as high as 3330/8mb/1333 using the 10 multi and to 3271 using the 9 multi.
    Thats with 1.35v.
    We're also handicapped using FBDimms and there's a 370 "wall" in the boards but it's still impressive to see 8 cores at those speeds.
    As to what it will do, go look at HWBot on Sisoftsandra or wPrime..
    All on stock volts but there are volt modds available up to 1.55 for these boards. I get a little skittish on moving the volts over 1.45 as these are $500.00 boards with $3000.00 in chips and $700.00 in memory.

Name:	superpi.jpg 
Views:	61946 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	55473  
    Last edited by Movieman; 02-06-2007 at 03:19 AM.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Brotherhood
    amazing I will try with my E6300 and E6600
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    i think you are asking the wrong person about safety limits, but

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    Try to tell this to all the people who have had various E6400 cpus which mysteriously stop at, for example, 480x8, 480x7, while another E6400 cpu can do 480x8 or 525x7, on 1333 strap, all the other hardware being the same.

Also, the GTL reference voltage mod existence confirms this as well as some users who have been banned for posting things about the FSB wall I wouldn't like to discuss openly here.

Other than that, nice find on the 1333fsb mod Might try it on my 6400to see what does it change
    away & gone

Xtreme Member
    Kunaak I assume you are doing this on your P5N32...if so, what bios are you using ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    I was watching late night TV and this was rolling through my mind all night.....
    "Why in the name of Papa Smurf would you put your d1ck in a hot apple pie?????????"

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast