Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The 8GHZ Project U.S.A.

Banned
    i wish i had the money and tools and age to build cascades

That's hardcore!

Subscribed
    Last edited by infrared; 03-07-2007 at 12:40 AM.
    Asus P5K Deluxe :: Intel C2D e6400 :: 2Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer pc2-6400 :: ThermalTake 680W PurePower
    ============================================
    SuperMod & Hardware Reviewer @ Techpowerup.com

Xtreme Member
    Universe #1 --> Earth --> Europe --> Austria --> 120km NW of Vienna :D
    @ V2-V3:

Do you have any experience in cascades and / or auto-c's?
    Because especially auto-c's are damn daifficult to build and ESPECIALLY to tune!!!
    SO .. no offense .. but: as I said: damn difficult!

c[_]
    well technically an autocascade can have as many stages as you want, but at least one of them must contain more than one gas.. at least thats what I thought.

Cascades are just multiple stages..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by V2-V3
    got a celly 331 to 5GHZ last night on watercooling, cant wait to use the Phase,DI,than LN2 WR looking achievable

we had the WR for the 331 this morning but i just saw a post about the 6GHZ 331 on DI, i guess we have the 331 WR for water woot!
    I am not sure if this will help, buy my Cel-D 352 hits 5GHz on stock cooler.

You might want to use a similar CPU because of the high multiplier/low FSB so you'll have less thing to worry when trying to hit 8GHz.

Good luck...

Visit Site: FanBoyReview™
    TEST
    (c)1999-2010 DM
    All rights reserve, All wrongs deserve

Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER
    ROFL, the "retail" clause now.

Let it go man, Conroe is gonna punk AMD bad.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    well technically an autocascade can have as many stages as you want, but at least one of them must contain more than one gas.. at least thats what I thought.

Cascades are just multiple stages..
    You're right about an autocascades' ability to go multiple stages, but you definately DON'T have to have a stage which contains multiple gasses. You may be referring to the entire charge as a whole for an auto and if that's the case, then yes - you do have to charge it with different refrigerants otherwise the unit wouldn't be able to autocascade. My unit is a 3 stage autocascade charged with R123, R22, R23, R14, and R740. It's capable of -100C temps @ 200W using a single 1hp compressor.
    Autocascades are truly the future of phase change as they are more efficient, are more quite (for the most part), and pull down faster than multiple-compressor cascades. The only thing that's really a drawback is finding someone who can actually build a functional unit for use on a computer. At best, there's only a handful of people in this world that could accomplish this....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by death metal
    I am not sure if this will help, buy my Cel-D 352 hits 5GHz on stock cooler.

You might want to use a similar CPU because of the high multiplier/low FSB so you'll have less thing to worry when trying to hit 8GHz.

Good luck...
    The Celeron 3xx Cedar Mill series are pretty good but I think they max out with FSB too early. I'm personally looking at the Pentium 6x1 Cedar Mill series to push the 7-8Ghz range, probably the higher the multi the better.

680i boards are definately not the way to go, blew up my BFG last weekend trying to push a damn Quad Core

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    You're right about an autocascades' ability to go multiple stages, but you definately DON'T have to have a stage which contains multiple gasses. You may be referring to the entire charge as a whole for an auto and if that's the case, then yes - you do have to charge it with different refrigerants otherwise the unit wouldn't be able to autocascade. My unit is a 3 stage autocascade charged with R123, R22, R23, R14, and R740. It's capable of -100C temps @ 200W using a single 1hp compressor.
    Autocascades are truly the future of phase change as they are more efficient, are more quite (for the most part), and pull down faster than multiple-compressor cascades. The only thing that's really a drawback is finding someone who can actually build a functional unit for use on a computer. At best, there's only a handful of people in this world that could accomplish this....
    What STEvil is saying is that you can have a multiple-compressor cascade with one or some of the cascade's stages autocascading. I'm not enough of a phase guru to know what one would call such a system. An autocascade cascade?

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam
    What STEvil is saying is that you can have a multiple-compressor cascade with one or some of the cascade's stages autocascading. I'm not enough of a phase guru to know what one would call such a system. An autocascade cascade?
    You sure that's what he's saying? I'm not quite getting that from his quote...regardless, if what you're speaking of is what he was saying, then OK I guess you'd call it an "X-stage cascade with x autocascading stages"....or maybe "Cascaded Autocascades"

c[_]
    what i'm saying is that to have an autocascade you need to have multiple gases charged in at least one stage of the system... which was partly true but is a part of a cascade system..

Technically it'd be the semi-auto of the full-auto world I guess?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    what i'm saying is that to have an autocascade you need to have multiple gases charged in at least one stage of the system... which was partly true but is a part of a cascade system..

Technically it'd be the semi-auto of the full-auto world I guess?
    Hmmm..I'm still not quite sure what you mean...the definition of an autocascade is a unit which uses it's own gasses to cool another one of it's own, hence Auto- (self) cascade. The gasses are cooled in stages and ideally, the gasses would be "pure" in each of the stages. Otherwise your phase separators aren't doing their jobs

Still waiting for the 8Ghz shot with the stars and strips! Hurry up fellas.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig
    The problem is that the real 8GHz news was weeks ago and it won't be the same again. Furthermore, it's no good idea to say that you're gonna break 8GHz, but then there are no results yet. I'm not saying that you are not going to make it, but just saying that you should have results before posting things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Doesn't seem like to big a deal. If someone posts and doesn't come through then they just fade away never to return. It looks as though they are making the attempt which is more than I can say for the skeptics.

Besides that, everyone likes pics of the process and sometimes the play by play. Kind of a new approach and in turn proves that they made the attempt and it will probably help out anyone else in here gutsy enough to try it.

Let's see what he comes up with and critique his results and methods rather than the posts.
    You must excuse his pessimistic point of view on life.
    Current Setup:
    -9850 GX2's in Quad SLI config
    -Asus P5N32-SLI MB
    -2x512mb of PC2-5300 DDR2
    -Intel Celeron D OC'd to 3.2Ghz
    -Windows Me with XP theme
    -WD Caviar 20GB Hard Drive
    -Zip drive
    -Jazz drive
    -3.5" floppy drive
    -5.25" floppy drive

Xtreme Member
    If I have understood the project correctly, the task is to go beyond 8Ghz, Ok, first of all, I have never seen, or heard of a cascade that can outperform LN2. So first of all, stick to LN2. Second, the deal is not to get the right cooling, cause for the cooling there is only one way to go.. It is rather to find the right chip to use.
    Since my first X6800, i have constantly been trying to find one better. I have now gone through around 30 of them, and still the first one is the best.
    Meaning, stick to the LN2, go get a bunch of 65nm cellys and 631's and start trying them out..
    A mediocre chip will never do 8GHz, regardless of cooling and volt.. You guys should put your efforts into finding right gear..

I'll give you lots of cred for the project, and I am sure if you put out an request here, someone will be willing to help you to get a hold of a chip.

Try Intel, they are usually cooperative when it comes to glory, honor and sweat for the motherland..

Keep it up guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Cool things in progress...

Xtreme Enthusiast

Belated Update

Things have been rather slow, and we wish to assure you we will not give up!

we have been working on finding a few new Procs to test (only got my college fund to help me with this :P)
    Revising our LN2 container and building a few phase cooling systems

here is a look at the quad core ready phase sys i have been working on.
    she will pull down to -50C on a QX6700 @ 4.2GHZ and -22C Full load 1.65Vcore

you can check out the work log for our Phase unit over here: http://www.teamnexgen.org/forum/hard...ice-7-mod.html

"If It Doesn't Overclock Its Broken"
    "NexGen Overclocking"
    "Overclocking, its a life style"

Xtreme Enthusiast

Overclocking

While waiting for the money to buy a new CPU for our project
    I took a look in some of the comps we had laying arround and pulled two Celeron 355's and one Celeron 331 for overclocking on phase.

Rig:
    EVGA 680I - Rev2 Vmodded
    EVGA 8800GTX
    Corsair 800MHZ 6400C4
    Core 2 Quad QX6700 ES, Celeron 331, 355
    Custom Built R290 Single Stage Phase cooler -60C

Here are the results:
    QX6700 (ES) 4704.41 MHz 1.70Vcore -15c on Die

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=189076

Celeron 331 5149.58 MHz 1.75Vcore -25C on Die

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=189888

Celeron 355 (1) 5124.97 MHz 1.749Vcore -25C on Die

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=189846

Celeron 355 (2) 5143.38 MHz 1.749Vcore -25C Die
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=189865

Celeron 355 (1) 5000.00 MHz 1.749Vcore -25C on Die
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=189716
    Last edited by V2-V3; 04-24-2007 at 01:29 AM.
    "NexGen Overclocking"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    New OC's Thanks to J1M for he loaned us the 640 for a quick Phase Run.

P4 640 @ 5199.82 MHz @ 1.8Vcore -10c

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=191770

P4 640 @ 5290.74 MHz @ 1.675Vcore -20c

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=191771

Was able to hit 5450 MHz but it was not stable enough to validate

Dry Ice and LN2 Clocks to come!
    Last edited by V2-V3; 04-28-2007 at 02:26 AM.
    "NexGen Overclocking"

IT Engineer in the making
    You did realize that you are still over 2.5GHz away from the 8GHz mark?

As I already said: It might have been a bad idea to broadly talk about the planned 8GHz without having results to back this up.

Your results are good, but you simply seem to have exaggerated with your claimed expectations.

I doubt that you'll hit 8GHz with this CPU, even with LN2.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig View Post
    You did realize that you are still over 2.5GHz away from the 8GHz mark?

As I already said: It might have been a bad idea to broadly talk about the planned 8GHz without having results to back this up.

Your results are good, but you simply seem to have exaggerated with your claimed expectations.

I doubt that you'll hit 8GHz with this CPU, even with LN2.

Its mainly a learning process for us ATM, We are not attempting 8GHZ with a dual core.

We are mainly trying to fine tune the test system we are working with. our LN2 arrives next week and we are using our time over the weekend to test on Dry Ice.

at the moment we don't have any CPU that is remotely capable of hitting 8000MHz
    we have 5 631 CPU's 3 of them are ES chips and only one turned out to be a good overclocker and was killed by a wet Mobo :P

"Thanks to Voyagers GF for the CPU"
    P4 630 @ 5560.27 MHz 1.51Vcore -25c

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=191871

New World Record Celeron D 355?

Just finished Vcore and Vdroop mod on the P5B deluxe, and made a few DI runs
    here are the results

Intel Celeron D 355 @ 5333.25 MHz 1.74Vcore (Dry Ice)

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=192139
    http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=377&wr=yes

Intel Celeron D 355 @ 5399.73 MHz 1.82Vcore (Dry Ice)

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=192145
    http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=377&wr=yes
    Last edited by V2-V3; 04-29-2007 at 05:18 AM.
    "NexGen Overclocking"

Xtreme Member
    V2-V3, keep up the good work, I wish you the best of luck hitting 8 someday. In the meantime, your results are very nice!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Got another Dry Ice run, this time with the Celeron 331,

Intel Celeron 331 @ 5706.7 MHz @ 1.84Vcore Cooled w/ Dry Ice, using the NexGen rev 2.5 Cu LN2 Pot

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=192220
    "NexGen Overclocking"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    1st Dry ice run with a Celeron 365

Celeron 365 @ 5904.03 MHz 1.7Vcore -35c

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=193081
    "NexGen Overclocking"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice clocks

Xtreme Member
    nice

but wont it go higher on DI? my 360 did 5,55ghz on just air.
    celeron!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that was just 1 run on DI, I had to attend a LAB early in the morning so i will make more runs tonight!
    "NexGen Overclocking"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast