Thread: BigNG questions

BigNG questions

There's probably more bigNG users here than anywhere else which is why I'm asking here.
    1. Has anyone successfully ported the data from the bigNG to an Alphacool 240x128 display?
    2. Are there some scripts already for that?
    3. Has anyone found a good flow meter for 1/2" tubing that works with the bigNG?
    4. How would you control a 4 fan rad plus 4 other separate fans with the bigNG?

Thanks in advance.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Batrachian
    I looked at that solution when I was planning my loop but due to my unlimited capability for idiocy I run out of budget, so I never bought the necessary bits...

Maybe in a couple of months...

Anyway, to control a flowmeter and do the fancy thing of switching off your PC in case of pump failure you need the "Analog Extension".

To control more fans independently you need to add MiniNGs, it can control up to two. Or you could run more than 1 fan from each header. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you really don't need to control the fans attached to the same radiator independently, do you? If you still think you do, then you'd need to buy the 2 MiniNGs, that's going to be a bit of dosh.

When it comes to flowmeter, the one everyone seems to use is the Swissflow SF800, probably because is reliable and cheap. You can opt for the IR-Opflow family, which allows you less pressure drop with the same reliability in exchange for a huge bite in your pocket.

The pressure drop is proportional to how close you are to the measurable limit of the meter. In the case of the IR-Opflow ones a 10.0.3.0.H (up to 20 l/min) would drop 0.4 bar @ 10 l/min, and 2.0 bar @ 20 l/m. If you jump to next step and get the 10.0.4.0.H you'd drop 0.2 bar @ 10 l/m, 0.5 bar @ 20 l/m and 2.0 bar @ 30 l/m.

In the case of the Swissflow expect good 0.6 bar @ 10 l/m, and the usual 2 bar @ 20 l/m.

There are other alternatives, but unless you tell me you have about £250-300 to spend on them, they're not worth mentioning. And the "common" alternatives, like the ones Alphacool, Innovatek etc. etc. commercialize are not worth it. The Swissflow outperforms all of them at the same price and with less pressure drop.

About the screen I have no idea. I was going to use my Matrix Orbital one.

Xtreme Guru
    Any flowmeters which cost less than 2000$ murder your flow.

Simply put, forget flowmeters, they're for chumps or people with piles and piles of money.

As for fans, you can hook as many fans per channel as you want, as long as they don't run over the max per channel wattage - I have 2 YL D12SL-12s on a single channel.

If you need them to be on separate channels for separate control - I don't know why this would be, but I've seen everything here - you can always hook up a MiniNG to a BigNG and drive it that way.

I don't do LCD driving beause I find it to be pointless posturing.

Personally the most important thing for me that my BigNG is drive my rad fans with coolant temperatures. Click my sig for an idea on how to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    flowrate is for losers!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    Thermaltake is kind of like AIDS; it won't go away just by ignoring it.

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    Any flowmeters which cost less than 2000$ murder your flow.
    I found a couple for about $900 with less than 0.1 bar drop @ 20 l/min... but when you consider what that money can buy you that will enhance your experience with a PC more than a bloody flowmeter... then I must agree with the following statement:

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    Simply put, forget flowmeters, they're for chumps or people with piles and piles of money.
    Although I don't have a bloody clue on what a "chump" is... I suppose if I look myself in the mirror I would see one, because I don't have piles of money and I have a SF800 sitting in my shelf, fighting with my common sense for a chance to jump into my loop.
    Last edited by MrToad; 02-04-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I'd want to control all 4 rad fans with one control, can 4 scythe 120's be handled by one channel?
    I read about the SF800 elsewhere and you basically corroborated what I already heard. Who carries that unit for retail? Anyone in the US? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sf800 a 3/8" ID fitting?
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Banned
    I have just ordered the BigNG and the Sensorbus after doing some research.

To me, letting the BigNG show a pseudo flowrate from the DDC RPM signal wire is good enough. As said above, most reasonable flow meters are too restrictive for the worth.

We shall see when it arrives.

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by $+€\/Ø
    Who carries that unit for retail? Anyone in the US?
    No idea, but if you really want one your cheapest bet is to buy it directly from the manufacturer.

Send them an email to info@swissflow.com, telling them what you want and what you want it for. They usually sell it for 25 euros + transport + VAT (19%).

If you ask them nicely they might even include fittings for 1/2" pipe.

I don't know what's the practice in the US, but the distribution channels that deal with this kind of products in the UK usually operate with a 200% profit margin. You don't want to pay for that, do you?

As an illustrative example, if you call for a quote of a single unit to the major distributor in the UK they will tell you (well, this was months ago, now it might be a bit more...) £55 + Transport + VAT. That equals £74.025. I got it directly from the manufacturer for £25. And the lead time was exactly the same, 7 working days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sf800 a 3/8" ID fitting?
    It's a 3/8" BSP (not sure if it's PP or PT) male. Whether that's 3/8" ID or OD that's beyond me. I still get very confused with these things.
    Last edited by MrToad; 02-04-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Anyone ever tested how accurate the digital vs analog vs real readings are? And does the BigNG come with tape to attach the sensors?

Ah, I see, it the thread spec I'm reading, not the ID. I undertand now. Thanks for the advice. I'll try swissflow directly
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad

It's a 3/8" BSP (not sure if it's PP or PT) male. Whether that's 3/8" ID or OD that's beyond me. I still get very confused with these things.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I'd want to control all 4 rad fans with one control, can 4 scythe 120's be handled by one channel?
    I'm controlling 3 Scythe 120's on one channel on my bigNG with no problem. I think you could probably run 5 fans on a channel maybe more with PWM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramenchef
    Anyone ever tested how accurate the digital vs analog vs real readings are? And does the BigNG come with tape to attach the sensors?
    I had to calibrate my analog sensors to the digital sensor that comes with the bigNG. Had to turn them down about 10%. And yes it comes with tape to hold your sensors in place.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Addict
    You may wish to consider Aquacomputer for control and monitoring. It's similar in capability, cost, etc. Just another choice... not necessarily better.

BTW, I have a remag flow meter in my loop... pressure loss is easily overcome with my dual pumps but even so, it will be coming out of my loop soon as the Aquaero cannot handle pulse rates above 3lpm making it useless. Make sure your monitoring system can handle the pulse rate of your flow meter at the intended flow rates or it really is a waste of time.
    Last edited by virtualrain; 02-05-2007 at 12:24 AM.

Sidey;

Thanks for the replies, that's all very helpful. Can you explain the difference between the analog sensor and a digital sensor. Analog I guess is simply one you tape anywhere for a temp, but where do you plug in the digital sensor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon
    I'm controlling 3 Scythe 120's on one channel on my bigNG with no problem. I think you could probably run 5 fans on a channel maybe more with PWM.

I had to calibrate my analog sensors to the digital sensor that comes with the bigNG. Had to turn them down about 10%. And yes it comes with tape to hold your sensors in place.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

XIP - can sit on his hair
    It's a 3/8" BSP (not sure if it's PP or PT) male
    3/8" BSPP... And the internal channel of the SF800 is 10mm, so yes, that's 3/8" ID.

Thanks Marci. I guess therefore that there's no way to use this in a 1/2" ID loop without totalling screwing the flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci
    3/8" BSPP... And the internal channel of the SF800 is 10mm, so yes, that's 3/8" ID.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Batrachian
    Marci, everytime I see where you live I feel sick

For three years I was in charge of the Yorkshire Purchasing Organisation account, based in... you guessed it, Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Xtreme Guru
    I haven't needed to use my analog sensors... 1 digital for case ambient + 1 digital for coolant - before rad inlet - is all I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    flowrate is for losers!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    Thermaltake is kind of like AIDS; it won't go away just by ignoring it.

Xtreme Member
    This flowmeter cost 6 bucks but it's analog...no electronic output. But I bet some sort of magnetic pickup can be created for it.

It read 130 GPH on my DDC, which is over 2 GPM and very near max flow. I experimenting with one to extend it's range downward.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113778