Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper Pipe instead of Plastic Tubing?

Xtreme Member

Copper Pipe instead of Plastic Tubing?

I want my next WC setup have more of an industrial look. Instead of plain old plastic tubing I was wondering if I could used flexible copper pipe with flared fittings. Could this be done and where can I get male G1/4" to male flared adapters?

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

I am Xtreme
    This has been done, but I'm not sure where you'd get the adapters. Home Depot / McMaster?
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    You have to be familiar with soldering copper.
    It has been done several times before, but keep in mind that changing hardawre will become a pita.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Member
    I want to use flared copper pipe to avoid soldering. I've refitted flared copper pipes for propane ovens and heaters in RVs so I know how to make them air tight under pressure.

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Member
    flexible copper pipe

Flexible copper pipe?

Banned
    Like the suction lines you use for phase, goes between the evap and compressore, can get copr or stainlels steel

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul
    I want my next WC setup have more of an industrial look. Instead of plain old plastic tubing I was wondering if I could used flexible copper pipe with flared fittings. Could this be done and where can I get male G1/4" to male flared adapters?
    If you lived in the S. Florida area, my auto parts store has all the brass/copper fittings you would need. If you want the name of the place is Congress Auto Parts (www.congressauto.com) number is 1-561-793-2245 and ask for Jim. He should be able to find the fittings, and get them shipped.
    Nothing anymore

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul
    Soft copper looks like crap. It is not until it becomes "hard drawn" that it is proper for bending (with a real tubing bender) and will give you that "Industrial" look that you seek.

In a previous life I did Industrial Instrumentation and bent my share of copper and high grade stainless steel tubing.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Member
    This guy did it too(dutch forum):

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/...05117#27305117

Quote Originally Posted by barzi

That looks so cool. How much would all those 90° bends affect the flow?

Banned
    As bad as normal hose i belive not sure as when you think of all the bend in your home and one pump to move it and it doea at some speed...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    As bad as normal hose i belive not sure as when you think of all the bend in your home and one pump to move it and it doea at some speed...
    Lets not forget that copper pipes in your house also have the added advantage of having ~100psi of pressure to push the water through, something that I found out the hardway when I used ClearFlex tubing on my automated float system on my Bong Tower the result ruptured ClearFlex-->

I agree with the bends offering as much resistance as plastic tubing though.

As for bending these, Bending Springs is all you need IMO (my mate is a plumber these things work a treat hehehe)

External Spring

"External springs are for smaller diameter copper piping ( from 6 to 10 mm external diameter). Again they are made from flattered steel but with a 'funnel' at each end so that the copper pipe can be fed through the centre of the spring. With the spring surrounding the pipe, the spring prevents the wall of the pipe from spreading outwards as it is bent. As with the external springs, each pipe size requires its own specific spring."

Internal Spring

" Internal springs are just a spring made from flattened steel with a taper at one end (which is inserted into the pipe) while the other end incorporates an eye. With the spring within the pipe, the wall of the pipe is prevented from collapsing inwards as it is bent. Internal bending springs are commonly used for copper pipe from 12 to 22 mm external diameter (larger springs are available but are not recommended). A specific spring is required for each size of pipe being bent."

Hope this is of some help :-)

Best of luck with it.

Banned
    Wow that hose didn't half go some...it still all slealed just strectched

Xtreme Member
    Wow that hose didn't half go some...it still all slealed just
    strectched
    Nope not sealed it split and water floooooowed freely LOL...luckily I was
    sitting at the Cooling Tower at the time and turned the inlet tap off to the
    tower and avoided a wet mess...replaced the hose with re-enforced
    variety and problem solved ;-)
    Last edited by AussieJester; 02-04-2007 at 05:23 PM.

Banned
    Hope it works out for you dude, i have tried reading ya topic but bongs other than smoking off are way too complex for me

Xtreme Member
    Hope it works out for you dude, i have tried reading ya topic but bongs other than smoking off are way too complex for me
    LOL yeah 7 seperate loops in a watercooled PC is easier :-P

Is all finished actually gets ~6 below ambient water temps and IMO looks the part :-)

Banned
    LOL 7 loops is easy but also not so easy...trying to work out soemthing big in a differnt topic which you might be able to help on, have a gander in wc about presure gauges.

It's -5c outside right now, wish i could go bench my unit now, sub ambiant cooling heheh

Hamster Powered
    These are the benders that I use...

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/500-Series-Lever-Benders
    Last edited by SiGfever; 02-04-2007 at 07:16 PM.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Addict
    That looks like a nice pipe bender but ouch is that expensive!

Those springs aren't worth a rip if you are trying to make tight bends. They just don't work well on anything other than gradual bends.

XIP - can sit on his hair
    I've seen mixed results from Copper-piped systems... some run cool as anything else, others run drastically hot... reasoning? Metal : Coolant surface area increases. If temps INSIDE the case are above your coolant temp, then the copper piping serves to heat up the water slowly... If temps inside the case are LOWER than coolant temps, then the copper piping serves as a mild radiator.

Flare fittings: just look for ones with a 1/4" BSP thread and use PTFE tape - more likely to find those than rubber o-ring'd G1/4" fittings.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Or like this http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=46

Solid tubing. I would imagine it would take a while to get all the bends perfect.
    Crunch for the cure!! Join the XS WCG Team
    Current Project (HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS OLD) Pics
    System:
    E6400@3.6 1.35v, 4x 250gb Hitachi sata drives(Raid0), 8800gts320, Asus P5B Deluxe, 4Gb crucial anniversary edition, 2xNEC dvd burners , Corsair hx520, Lian li v2100b
    Cooling:

Loop 1: ddc2/petra's top, mcr220, storm rev 1
    Loop 2: Laing D5, mcr220, mcw30, mcw60

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am in the process of overhauling my rig. Adding a triple 120 to it now with some nice fans.

Water temps don't break 32c after 24hours in a furnace of a room I have @ 26-28c all the freaking time.

EDIT: Here is the link--> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=84904
    My pc: |||Abit AL8-V||| P4 631@4.6ghz||| 4x512 PDP pc2-4200@4-4-4-12 2.0v|||1x250gb WD 16mb sata||| 6600gt 500/1000@ 610/1240||| TDK dvd burner||| watercooled cpu and gpu and custom moded case.

Project Hard Lined

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smopoim86
    Or like this http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=46

Solid tubing. I would imagine it would take a while to get all the bends perfect.
    Now that is the cleanest looking water setup i have seen in quite some time 10/10

Banned
    Can anyone actually see the pictures for this thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=46

I remember seeing a great hard tubed rig, but now it is gone or not loading anymore.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wasnt loading for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast