Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loop advice please- total water system

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by $+€\/Ø
    I don't give up easily, my curse and my strength. I'm still trying to find a way to do it all in one loop with all the components on water.

I found a splitter from Koolance that goes from 1/2" input to 4 x 1/4" output. I'm thinking of putting it in before and after the RAM and then going to a second MCP655 pump.

Here's how I propose to do it:

Is it still suicide?

I don't know if it's suicide I've put together a one-loop system the only items that I'm NOT cooling that you are is the ram & mosfet's (and I probably would have if I thought of it sooner, realized how hot they got).

From your case diagram and pictures it looks like it would work w/ two pumps. Mine is using just one MCP655 (trying to cut down on the components even w/ the G70 lian-li case it's tight with everything installed).

With one pump I would probably do something like:
    Pump -> rad -> vreg -> cpu -> NB -> GPU1 -> GPU2 -> SB -> RAM -> Res -> pump

Though w/ 1/2" tubing with all of that in the system you'll probably find it tight especially around the SB area (at least it was on the striker extreme that I have). You will want to get some anti-kinking either coils or something around the tubing (I use tygon and some of the bends are still rather tight). However w/ the PA120.3 that I've got it keeps everything cool (granted I'm not trying for an OC record here either).

Here's the latest: 2 separate loops
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Now, we're talking

XIP - can sit on his hair
    What are you referring to? I'm also looking for a block for the IN9 NB
    http://www.dangerden.com/store/produ...&cat=46&page=1

Xtreme Member
    $+€\/Ø... now your thinking .. I think two loops will be way better then one .. with my tj 07 I was going to go with 2 but after I started getting my build together it was going to be a lot of cash so I am only running 2 anymore ... my build is getting close to be finished.

WOW you build is going to be a lot of cash haha.. I like your style

Yeah, I'm feeling better about it now too. Thanks everybody for pointing me in the right direction.
    I'm waiting for Eddy at EK now to come out with blocks for the MOSFETs and apparently SB and NB blocks for the Striker.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Last question regarding the loop with the RAM in it.

The loop will be 3/8" ID entirely except the portion through the RAM since it only comes with 1/4" barbs. As I can see it, there are two ways of doing it:

1. Run it all in series with a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer into the RAM and the reverse on the output, or;
    2. Run it partly in parallel with an 'F' fitting that goes from 3/8" to 3/8" & 1/4" out like this:

This piece would go just before the RAM, running 1/4" through the RAM and rejoining with another of these F's after.

Which do you think will be the best overall?
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Member
    I honestly don't like either. I don't think you would get enough flow from 2, and 1 will turn your flow rates into (molasses being sucked through a straw in the middle of a snowstorm).
    Last edited by thecoldanddark; 02-09-2007 at 08:48 PM.

I realize neither is ideal, but what else can I do? I'm certainly not going to run a third loop for just the RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoldanddark
    I honestly don't like either. I don't think you would get enough flow from 2, and 1 will turn your flow rates into (molasses being sucked through a straw in the middle of a snowstorm).
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Actually, I remembered the possibility of using a 4 into 1 fitting that transitions from either 1/2" or 3/8" to four 1/4". This looks the sexiest and might be the least worst.

I realize the RAM will minimally benefit from water but hey, that ain't what it's all about. Know what I mean?
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by $+€\/Ø

I realize the RAM will minimally benefit from water but hey, that ain't what it's all about. Know what I mean?
    I do. You like whips.

Xtreme Guru
    whooppsshhh!

Now get your mind out of the gutter MrToad Let's focus on the task at hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad
    I do. You like whips.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Member
    I gotz it

ek muultires out 1 - pump - video - y to rad - ek in
    ek multires out 2 - pump - otherstuff - y to rad - ek in

hummmm.... i had another idea but it didnt come out right il get back to that

1 more thing when your video cpu ect is on the wc the inside of your case temp is gona drop big time compaired to the standard air with heatsinks in there.... rams should be cooler than average anyway you know what im sayn the cpu on a standard non wc the heat is all inches from the ram,, on wc it out and movin around/and spread out

also i dont know about the probes on the bigng but i saw i pic a few days back someone use athe digital probe in the loop and had some pic with it showing epoxy...who waz that
    Last edited by hopper; 02-10-2007 at 03:55 PM.
    Asus P5W-dh + E6600 + GSKILL 2GB DDR2-800 + Seagate sata2 p-recording + X Fi with front panel + asus 8800gts

Storm + mcmicro + PA-120 + yate loon + MCP655 + ek 8800 gtx

currently working on using my wiimote for pc mouse

Xtreme Member
    why do you want to water cool your mosfet, ram SB and such ?

the striker comes with a fan you can put on the passive why don't you just run that on the mosfet ?

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by sreedx2
    why do you want to water cool your mosfet, ram SB and such ?
    If you have the money and the will to do it, why not?

Common sense says that in a "conventional" loop (1 Pump, 1 Rad) they would have a severe impact on the flow and on the cooling of other critical components (CPU and GPU basically), but if you come up with a design that overcomes that problem...

Quote Originally Posted by sreedx2
    the striker comes with a fan you can put on the passive why don't you just run that on the mosfet ?
    I'm not familiar with the layout of the Striker, but in the Abit IN9 the mosfets are a PITA. It has 5 of them, with a encapsulation that resembles the die of the Athlon XPs, but about 3x3x1 mm.

They're surrounded by tiny surface mounted capacitors, and there's like 1/2 mm clearance between the top of the mosfets and the top of the capacitors.

If you use the dremel to cut the OTES (the heatpipe cooler that links the SB, NB and VREGs), to use the heatsink that sits on top of them... there goes your warranty down the drain.

If you try to put MC14 ramsinks on top, there's just not enough surface for them to sit properly on top, let alone have enough tack for me to believe that once I put the MB vertical they're not going to drop.

If you want to put a tiny drop of Loctite with a needle to hold them in place, good luck accessing the middle ones.

Finally, if you use artic silver thermal epoxy, better thin it out quite a bit, because if you ever need to remove the heatsinks to RMA the board, most likely the mosfets will come out with them.

Apart from those options you can allways comission a custom heatsink to a machine shop, but as far as my part of England goes, the cost of such comission was greater than buying a Iwaki RD-30 and a brand new PA120.3

Of course you can always make one yourself, providing you have the tools and the skill.

My 2 cents.

MrToad, thanks for "jumping" to my defense.
    I think you understand it's as much a 'proof of concept' issue as it is a solution to a cooling issue.
    I realize the tangible benefits of an all water system are minimal, but I just don't want big fans and heatsinks cluttering up my rig. I want tubes cluttering up my rig

Regarding the mosfets, Eddy at EK sent me some pics of the new blocks he's working on for the Striker. I guess it's ok for me to share them with you. He tells me they'll be available with both acetal and acrylic tops.

They look pretty trick to me.

Still would like some advice on the routing for the RAM loop.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Member
    I wont talk you out of it ...I was just curious why but it sounds cool .. and if you have the cash ... which I see you do looking at your build !!

you are going to have a lot of tubes show us pics along the way ..

Xtreme Member
    Thats some serious pr0n right there... Thats what I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzel
    You shouldn't be pro-AMD, or pro-Intel... just be pro-choice pro-the-best-CPU-currently-available.

That's exactly what I mean, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildEye
    Thats some serious pr0n right there... Thats what I'm talking about.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123