Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loop advice please- total water system

Loop advice please- total water system

Dudes,

Yup, first post, been lurking here for a while, need some advice on the routing of my coolant loop(s).
    Here's the rig, already bought the parts so I don't need any advice on the components (although you may beg to differ):
    mobo: Asus Striker
    CPU: QX6700 w/ D-tek Fuzion
    GPU: 2x eVGA 8800GTX w/ EK-FC8800
    RAM: OCZ FlexLC (4gb)
    NB: DD680i
    SB: SwiftechMCW30
    Res: Alphacool Cape Coolplex 25
    Rad: BlackIce 480GTX
    Pump: SwiftyMCP655
    tubing: 1/2" & 3/8" Tygon

I'll be OC'ing some, but I'm not looking to break any records.
    At the moment I'm thinking of a loop like this:
    Res->Pump->rad->'Y' 1/2"-3/8"->RAM->'Y'3/8"-1/2"->CPU->GPU1->GP2->NB->SB->res
    The logic behind this scenario is this; shortest and cleanest lengths of tubing; RAM won't dump much heat; CPU should be cool; NB & SB won't need as much cooling

Looking for alternative ideas, but as I said, I'm commited to an all water setup and these parts. Don't bother flaming me - I won't take the bait.
    Thanks in advance.

~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Batrachian
    Alternative Idea:

Use air cooling for the SB and the RAM.

I knew someone would say that, so let's get it out of the way.
    First, I'm mounting the mb upside down, BTX style so that I can show off the EK blox through a window in the top of the case, and as I understand it, if aircooled, the heatpipe from the SB will be pointing down and not provide sufficient cooling.
    Second, I want to do a total water system, just from an aesthetic standpoint as much as performance. I'm sure some of you can appreciate that.

$+€\/Ø

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by $+€\/Ø
    I knew someone would say that
    Too tempting to resist ^^

First, I'm mounting the mb upside down... and as I understand it, if aircooled, the heatpipe from the SB will be pointing down and not provide sufficient cooling.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with heatpipes the heated air will always flow to the coolest part of the circuit, regardless of the positioning. Besides, with air cooling I meant actively cooled. In my case I use the omnipresent Evercool VC-RE for the SB and some Swiftech MC-14 with an Acoustifan ADFP-6025 blowing on top for the mosfets.

Second, I want to do a total water system... I'm sure some of you can appreciate that.
    I do... it was only a suggestion, because I see too many "Y"'s and too much restriction in your loop. But I'm the least indicated to speak because my first WCooling loop is still in the design stage.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    SB's rarely need to be wc'd. They don't get that hot. "Y's" in a system can be questionable. Water follows the path of least resistance so you may not get the flow your looking for through that 3/8" portion.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

The 'Y's are just splitting at the RAM blocks in parallel. Would it be better to just keep it 1/2" in series?

Here's a pic of the case, ready to go. Note the res location.

And here's the top window where Eddy's beautiful EK8800's will be displayed in all their glory. Raptor X on the other side
    Last edited by $+€\/Ø; 02-02-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Xtreme Member
    nice,,,

add a bigng to your list

it will protect all that expensive video your getting because its connected to your powerswitch and it can shutdown your pc even if it frozen in windows (like holding down the power for 4 seconds) im getting one soon
    Asus P5W-dh + E6600 + GSKILL 2GB DDR2-800 + Seagate sata2 p-recording + X Fi with front panel + asus 8800gts

Storm + mcmicro + PA-120 + yate loon + MCP655 + ek 8800 gtx

currently working on using my wiimote for pc mouse

Xtreme Batrachian
    Your case looks very nice mate

Banned
    BlackIce 480GTX is not as good as PA120.3 from what i have heared, it's big mind!! Looking good dude. That ram is realy restictive. Also i've seen it as 3/8'' but someone here says it's 1/4'' so you'll have to check befor you order! OH and it's as tight as a duck but. Really restctive. Might want to to run dual pump to get the stuff around the system

Hopper, yup, someone else turned me on to the bigNG last night and I'm about to pull the trigger on one with some accessories. I have a couple of questions though:
    With their water kit, there's a flowmeter that's 10mm, how do you fit that into a 1/2"ID tygon? Same question with the water temp sensors. Also, is the mCubed site, the best place t buy the stuff? Is there any US vendor?
    Quote Originally Posted by hopper
    nice,,,

add a bigng to your list

it will protect all that expensive video your getting because its connected to your powerswitch and it can shutdown your pc even if it frozen in windows (like holding down the power for 4 seconds) im getting one soon

The RAM I got has 3/8" barbs, but from all the comments, I'm starting to wonder about WC'ing the RAM. It doesn't make much diff to the overclockability of the RAM if it's water or air and they look pretty cool with just the heatsinks. I may drop that part of the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    BlackIce 480GTX is not as good as PA120.3 from what i have heared, it's big mind!! Looking good dude. That ram is realy restictive. Also i've seen it as 3/8'' but someone here says it's 1/4'' so you'll have to check befor you order! OH and it's as tight as a duck but. Really restctive. Might want to to run dual pump to get the stuff around the system

i stand corrected. The OCZ only comes in 1/4" flavor as best I can tell. I think it's gonna stay on air for now.
    I also found that performance-pc and 3dcool carry the mcubed stuff (also branded as alphacool). Still looking for advice on the loops though.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Member
    i was gonna do the same thing, word of advice, if ur gonna WC the ram, get a 2 fan rad or better and set up a different loop... number 1, number 2 get 1 loop for the processor and mobo and GFX but make sure the block aren't that restrictive like dtek and EK GFX and mobo blocks or something and i would get a MCP 655 for the pump and get a mcp 355 for the ram cooling and i would suggest micro reservoirs for both loops use the black ice for the mobo/gfx/cpu loop and an rad for the ram cooling, don't underestimate the ram, i would air cool it alittle bit too if i were u, that should be good enough if ur not OCing too much u might want to get a shroud or maybe a push pull system with some good fans if ur gona do that much cooling so you get the best out of ur black ice and dont forget gaskets o BTW as for the ram tubing i would get the rad and pump and res in 1/2 tubing then get a 1/2" to 3/8" Y splitter then get 2 3/8" to 1/4" Y splitters then on the outlet do the opposite, thats my 2 cents, have fun

I've already got the 480GTX mounted already so I'd really like to keep it one loop if possible. Koolance makes a 1/2" to 4 x 1/4" splitter . How about if i put in a 1/2" 'Y' and then do the 1/2" tp 4 x 1/4" to the ram and then the reverse to rejoin the main loop.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Member
    I still think that Y splitters are a bad Idea, have you thought about tube adapters? Additionally, if you want a fully cooled system, you would need to cool the MOSFET. If you can find someone to import them get the MIPS blocks. They have ones specially made for the striker.
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 02-04-2007 at 12:09 AM.

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Member
    EK has someo chipset and mosfet blocks coming out for the striker (among others) soon. Kinda like the MIPS blocks but with his nice G1/4 thread 1/2" tubing barbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzel
    You shouldn't be pro-AMD, or pro-Intel... just be pro-choice pro-the-best-CPU-currently-available.

Xtreme Member
    honestly 1 loop for everything is suicide, up to you normally i would be cool with things like this but gonna be the same as stock air because of all the restriction, heck im not even sure if the pumps gonna be able to handle this let alone the BI rad... if ur seriously considering this and all u want is looks then get a powerful iwaki pump, rd-30 most likely, strong fans and/or a fan controller(and set fans to max) and u might wanna do a push pull set up, it's a long shot but thats the only way i see this happening find out more about the Y adapters etc those KILL ur flow from what i understand

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm not sure about the heat pipes that motherboard uses, but a proper heat pipe uses a wick and will work in any orientation.

As Whokidmo said, it's suicide if you want to watercool all that on one loop. SB's don't benefit from being watercooled.

Fair enough, if you want a quiet non clocked system - but the fact you're watercooling your ram makes me think some clocking will be going on

If so, then you WILL be limiting the cooling that the main components will be getting (processor, northbridge). That will hold you back, where as watercooled NB/CPU with aircooled/Passive mosfets/RAM/SB won't.

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Them's some strong words. It really has me rethinking my setup. I was a little doubtful to begin with, which is why I posted here originally. Do you guys think I would be better off leaving the stock heat pipes on the NB &SB and leaving the RAM on air? Essentially I'd just have a 480GTX, MCP655, Fuzion & EK8800's. I know they'd be coooler without the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whokidmo
    honestly 1 loop for everything is suicide,
    I'm getting the impression that 'Y' is a four letter word around here. Are they of any use in any scenario?
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul
    I still think that Y splitters are a bad Idea
    Does anyone here know if the Striker heatpipes are wicked? Also, can you separate the NB & SB pipes or are they integrated?
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They are integrated as far as I'm aware. I know with reference 680i boards, you get a side fan for the northbridge, do you get a fan with the north bridge on the striker?

You could just take the heat pipe off and replace the sinks with 3rd party ones. Any thirdparty passive heatsink with a semi permanent epoxy mix will do for the southbridge.

From what I've read 680i northbridge doesn't get too hot unlike others such as RD600 - so I would air sink that too. HR05 seems like a good choice and low CFM fan which is quiet would help a bit too.

IIRC the striker has a heatpipe all around the socket for the mosfets? If you can keep them on then it would be a good idea.

Alternatively, setup a second loop for the mosfets/northbridge and even ram if you wanted. Good thing is a single 120 rad would be more than enough and easily placed onto the rear of the case and run a 3/8 loop for the above. MIPS computers make NB/mosfet blocks for specific motherboards, so should have ones for the striker.

Y's are bad as water will flow to path of least resistance, meaning one direction of the Y splitter won't receive much flow at all.

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

At this point I'm probably gonna drop the idea of a total water system and just do the best with CPU, GPU , maybe NB. I suspected two separate loops would be best but I've commited to the 480GTX and the 655.
    If anyone else has ideas, I'm all ears.
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Are you sure your OCZ Flex has 3/8" barbs? I haven't found any mention of 3/8 barbs on the manufacturer's web site.

Xtreme Member
    The 'Y's are just splitting at the RAM blocks in parallel. Would it be better to just keep it 1/2" in series?

Here's a pic of the case, ready to go. Note the res location.

And here's the top window where Eddy's beautiful EK8800's will be displayed in all their glory. Raptor X on the other side

Wow dude nice case ... I have the TJ-07 is that what you have just modded ...where are you mounting your hard drives ..

My build will be done soon it is in the works .. I will show you picks .. I would like to see yours when complete

I'm putting a Raptor X under the top window at the front and the other 4 drives are going in the drive bay adapter on the front
    ~$+€\/Ø~

Xtreme Member
    I'm putting a Raptor X under the top window at the front and the other 4 drives are going in the drive bay adapter on the front

Nice ... I have 1 hard drive rack that came with the TJ 07 and I flipped it and mounted it to the top as close as I could to the front of the case

Now I am in the works of making some brackets to hold another hard drive right above the last 5 inch bay

I like those handles you added

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast