Thread: Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown

Xtreme Member

Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown

Windows Vista clearly is not a great new performer when it comes to executing single applications at maximum speed.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/...sta/index.html

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
    DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz | OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Hardware
    Windows Vista clearly is not a great new performer when it comes to executing single applications at maximum speed.
    How dumb can you be to pass a judgment about a system that has not been realeased yet OR has NOT a single FINAL driver avilable for it.

No wonder its been taken down for being nothing more then a stab at Vista.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict
    Hope this is drivers fault

Muslim Overclocker

A mistake I am sure, but of course there are some obvious problems.

1. DX9 emulation
    2. Applications are designed for XP, not Vista. If Vista can run them all fast, great. If it can't we wait for a version that can.

This will appeal to the joe-average as being an equal comparison. But I don't go testing the performance of linux by seeing how well it can run windows applications vs how well windows XP runs them.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

YouTube Addict
    umm kinda useless benchmarks if you ask me, because make some minor changes and run it again in DOS and the DOS version would be the Fastest.
    regardless, I still wouldn't think DOS is the OS anyone wants to use. Even Text Users prefer the Bash Shell
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    I agree that most of these problems should end up being fixed with patches/driver updates, but also keep in mind that Vista is being released tomorrow. This should still give an idea of what one can expect for day 1 performance.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
    DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz | OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W

Admin
    They turned off AeroGlass....

How they managed to get a worse score with Vista on PC05 is beyond me as well....5600 was as fast as XP and 5728 was already significantly faster.
    Last edited by Vapor; 01-29-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Don't know what crack these guys where on when running this but then again its THG.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Addict
    Peeps still read THG?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor
    They turned off AeroGlass....

How they managed to get a worse score with Vista on PC05 is beyond me as well....5600 was as fast as XP and 5728 was already significantly faster.
    Faster in...?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalu
    Faster in...?
    Uh PC05?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    toms became incompetent long time ago

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenolith
    Peeps still read THG?
    Yeah, a lot of people. Usually for obvious reasons like they're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn.
    How dumb can you be to pass a judgment about a system that has not been realeased yet OR has NOT a single FINAL driver avilable for it.

No wonder its been taken down for being nothing more then a stab at Vista.
    Taken down? Where the link works fine?

How dumb can you be to not realize that these benchmarks are EXACTLY what people who buy the operating system today (or last week via internet for that matter) can expect? Who cares if there is no final driver, MS is still releasing it. The hype is that this operating system is all that and a bag of chips, the reality is that as of today (when this review is current) the OS reeks.

Nowhere is THG claiming that in 2 years the situation won't change, but the simple fact is that right now, it's not something worth having.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by falqon
    Yeah, a lot of people. Usually for obvious reasons like they're correct.
    sometimes yes and some times no

Taken down? Where the link works fine?

How dumb can you be to not realize that these benchmarks are EXACTLY what people who buy the operating system today (or last week via internet for that matter) can expect? Who cares if there is no final driver, MS is still releasing it. The hype is that this operating system is all that and a bag of chips, the reality is that as of today (when this review is current) the OS reeks.

Nowhere is THG claiming that in 2 years the situation won't change, but the simple fact is that right now, it's not something worth having.
    actually most people are going to buy it because it is noob friendly and it supports DX10. Those who are technically proficient, however have an alternative to it.
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    actually most people are going to buy it because it is noob friendly and it supports DX10. Those who are technically proficient, however have an alternative to it.
    No, "Most" people don't even have DX9, let alone 10.

And no, there is no alternative, there is the Vista D3D API, and customized versions of Vista like XSOS
    Last edited by Cooper; 01-30-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: no rudeness

Xtreme Addict
    I don’t know why you guys looks at tomshardware they are full of crap
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Xtreme Member
    And no, there is no alternative, there is the Vista D3D API, and customized versions of Vista like XSOS
    XSOS has nothing to do with Vista
    Last edited by Cooper; 01-30-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: no rudeness

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Order
    XSOS has nothing to do with Vista
    actually technically XSOS and Vista are both Microsoft sponsored Operating systems with DX10 but that is about as closely related as they get
    Last edited by Cooper; 01-30-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Xtreme Member
    i don't like the Vista at all, the XP was for all that matters an visually upgraded windows 2000, who the whant's Vista to be able to run "video wallpapers" in the background ? , why the stupid DRM's must force the driver to sample , and send a check signal to o/s every 0.30s ? . Seems like those retarded "family" members where the big designers of that o/s and not professionals who would make it an o/s and not some pink/blue/orange fluffy ect. o/s . The most idiotic thing with Vista is that it just looks childish , hate those big icons (like for blind ppl or what ?) those idiotic wizards, ppl must dig thru some stupid setups just to turn off one most idiotic thing that the M$ put as a default ? why we can't just choose what to install and what NOT to install with the o/s ? . This is all going the wrong way , just go and see a movie like "Idiocracy" and you know what i mean. Sure it's a "cool" idea to pay extra $$$ just for some stupid video wallpaper and big fluffy icons.

Xtreme Addict
    This is interesting indeed.
    ________
    2ga
    Last edited by clayton; 03-10-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck^!
    i don't like the Vista at all, the XP was for all that matters an visually upgraded windows 2000, who the whant's Vista to be able to run "video wallpapers" in the background ? , why the stupid DRM's must force the driver to sample , and send a check signal to o/s every 0.30s ? . Seems like those retarded "family" members where the big designers of that o/s and not professionals who would make it an o/s and not some pink/blue/orange fluffy ect. o/s . The most idiotic thing with Vista is that it just looks childish , hate those big icons (like for blind ppl or what ?) those idiotic wizards, ppl must dig thru some stupid setups just to turn off one most idiotic thing that the M$ put as a default ? why we can't just choose what to install and what NOT to install with the o/s ? . This is all going the wrong way , just go and see a movie like "Idiocracy" and you know what i mean. Sure it's a "cool" idea to pay extra $$$ just for some stupid video wallpaper and big fluffy icons.
    DRM is only activated if you have a BR or HD DVD drive connected to an HTCP via HDMI and you are playing a DRm protected content if you arent doing that DRM is OFF so stop talking BS....

if you read any review from respectable guys you will see windows vista brings more to the table than big icons or nice colors, so rather than thread crap educate yourself and read before post
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    No, "Most" people don't even have DX9, let alone 10.

IMO there are obvious alternatives. Stay with XP until the situation with Vista improves or DX10 becomes relevant, or go with XSOS v3 (like I plan to.)