Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad Opteron Rev. F3 2218's + Asus L1N64-SLI = ?

Phenom™

Quad Opteron Rev. F3 2218's + Asus L1N64-SLI = ?

Since everyone's been playing around with the quad FX's lately, I've decided to change things up a bit by tossing a pair of revision F3 Opterons onto the "Quadfather" motherboard. Time to see if we'll be able to take AMD's best silicon (Opterons) and pair it with UN-REGISTERED DDR2. I'll try to get everything up and running ASAP but I've got a couple of other things I have to take care of this weekend so please be patient.....

Here's the cpu's which will be running (hopefully) on this board - These are two of the first Rev. F3 Opties in the wild:

Here's a pic of my new toys (BTW, I'd like to thank Petra's Tech Shop for their efforts in getting me the Tuniq Towers on such short notice. Quoc and Alex went beyond the call of duty on this one. Thanks guys ):

More to come........
    Last edited by s7e9h3n; 01-27-2007 at 07:44 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking forward to this
    are these the 'special' chips?
    Ed.
    Conroe E6420 @ 3.3ghz at the moment.
    DFI Dark P965
    2gb Geil DDR800 4-4-4-12
    8800GTS 512mb
    1.7TB Storage
    CM Stacker

Xtreme Member
    Better hurry! Dave Graham on 2cpu.com is doing exactly the same thing this weekend...(unless you are Dave Graham???)

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieate
    Looking forward to this
    are these the 'special' chips?
    Ed.
    Every cpu is special in its own way While these are special (how often do you see a cpu numbered "0001"), I'm waiting for a few "specialer" cpu's in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by tomb18
    Better hurry! Dave Graham on 2cpu.com is doing exactly the same thing this weekend...(unless you are Dave Graham???)
    Haha....Dave Graham is a member here Look a few posts down. He can run whatever he likes, I don't consider this a "race" to see who can boot first. I've had these cpu's for a good couple of months and just recently decided to run them....

Xtreme Addict
    s7e9h3n dude i'm so pleased to see you back with that kind of threads with those special previews of yours

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRun
    s7e9h3n dude i'm so pleased to see you back with that kind of threads with those special previews of yours
    I appreciate the kind words.... OK...I guess it's time to get rig-building....

Xtreme Mentor
    Simply !

When you set this rig up please give us some more info about it (memory, GFX, PSU, etc.)!

PS. s7e9h3n is that true Barcelona ES will be in wild within 2 months time?
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman
    Simply !

When you set this rig up please give us some more info about it (memory, GFX, PSU, etc.)!

PS. s7e9h3n is that true Barcelona ES will be in wild within 2 months time?
    Memory = 2 x 1gb "Company to be named later" ES DDR2 (wait till you see how these sticks scale ). I know, I need to get 2 more GB though......

GFX = FX5200 128mb PCI . I can try my 7950GTKO later and hopefully an R600 in the coming months....

PSU = PCP&C 1Kw

I've "heard" that Barcelona should be sampling soon, if not already. Looks as if these cpu's are on schedule.....why do you think I picked up this board?

Xtreme Member
    geez, i've been waiting for ages to see a post from you s7e9h3n. good to hear from you again. 2007 is starting to look very exciting and interesting for amd and the loyal fans. i'm trying to stay clear from asus, but i guess i'll end up using one later on. i hope dfi will make a good rd600 board to compliment barcelona. wow ES ddr2 with incredible scaling power, can't wait to see how far the sticks go. i'm hoping to build something like this later on this year:

barcelona(quad core, of course)
    r600
    am2+ mobo
    4GB of ddr2(fat bandwidth and low latencies, drool).
    creative x-fi(the new chip to optimize for vista)
    all these will be housed in a stacker 830 .

keep the posts coming s7e9h3n .

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Memory = 2 x 1gb "Company to be named later" ES DDR2 (wait till you see how these sticks scale ). I know, I need to get 2 more GB though......

GFX = FX5200 128mb PCI . I can try my 7950GTKO later and hopefully an R600 in the coming months....

PSU = PCP&C 1Kw

I've "heard" that Barcelona should be sampling soon, if not already. Looks as if these cpu's are on schedule.....why do you think I picked up this board?
    That is why I asked ...
    Now I know what I wanted ...

Oh... I would forget, which OS you gonna use? (XP64/Vista or Linux preferred)
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So, what defines the Buffered Memory Modules requeriment? Do your Opterons works finely with Unbuffered Memory Modules in that Motherboard? What about A64 FX-7x in regular Server Motherboards? It would be useful to track down WHERE the requeriment is based on. Maybe it is all decided by the BIOS and a simple mod could disable the Buffered requeriment for Socket F Motherboards.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Woot! Subscribed.

s7e9h3n good indeed to see you messing around again. Hope things go well...

Ply

Xtreme Member
    Nice to see s7e9h3n back with some nice amd news!
    Looking forward for "postcards" from Barcelona
    Athlon 64 X2 5200+ || Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H || Connect3d 4850 || Crucial ddr2-800 Lanfest 2x1 Gb || AKASA PowerPlus 650W || Watercooled

AthlonXP-M 2500+ @2500 || Abit NF7-S v2.0 || ATI 9700 PRO || Corsair XMS PC3500 v1.1 2x256 + 1x512 Kingston HX || Enermax EG465P-VE FC || Slk 900A - Delta 92mm

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer
    So, what defines the Buffered Memory Modules requeriment? Do your Opterons works finely with Unbuffered Memory Modules in that Motherboard? What about A64 FX-7x in regular Server Motherboards? It would be useful to track down WHERE the requeriment is based on. Maybe it is all decided by the BIOS and a simple mod could disable the Buffered requeriment for Socket F Motherboards.
    Typically, the motherboard manufacturer dictates the necessity for Registered or Non-Registered memory. Up until now, all multiple socket Opteron boards required the use of Registered DDR since most of them are used in server applications. Although it was possible to create Opteron boards that could utilize standard, Non-Regged memory, motherboard makers chose the "safer" route.
    We're about to find out if my Opties will run in this board. AndreYang was able to run a pair of ES Opterons in his L1N64, so it's a very good possibility. A FX-7x more than likely won't be able to run in current server motherboards because they won't be recognized by any bios....

Quote Originally Posted by Lightman
    Oh... I would forget, which OS you gonna use? (XP64/Vista or Linux preferred)
    I'll more than likely be using 32bit XP for now, but if I happen to get another 2gb+ of memory, I'll install 64bit Vista or XP.....

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys....Just gotta install windows and then we'll be up and running [fingers crossed] Here's a few more pics:

Xtreme Cruncher
    SHEESH!!! Those coolers are huge man...

Ply

YouTube Addict
    oh god this got me all excited.. more more
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Phenom™
    Lol...I originally was going to try 2 x Big Typhoons since I already own one, but quickly figured out that there would be absolutely no chance in hell a pair would have fit on this board

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    oh god this got me all excited.. more more
    Hmmm......just got an idea......How well does XSOS handle multiple cores?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Lol...I originally was going to try 2 x Big Typhoons since I already own one, but quickly figured out that there would be absolutely no chance in hell a pair would have fit on this board

Hmmm......just got an idea......How well does XSOS handle multiple cores?
    XSOS v3 will support 64cores with ease
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    Sampsa is back...now you're back and posting up some sweet setups....2007 is definitely looking up. Can't wait to see this pan out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That is a hateful location of the 24pin connector... :S

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Plywood99
    SHEESH!!! Those coolers are huge man...

Ply
    actually tuniq isnt that large .. I have one and it looks puny next to my scythe infinity LOL
    ---

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    actually tuniq isnt that large .. I have one and it looks puny next to my scythe infinity LOL

Lol, it must be the size of a SFF system then...

Ply

Xtreme Member
    wow, pretty . i hope you secure those cpus onto the sockets. i would hate to see anything happen to them . wow a tuniq tower is puny next to a scythe infinity. i have the infinity, but i'm thinking of getting the tuniq tower.

Xtreme Legend
    wow S7 i don't think i've ever seen 0001 CPU before..........hopefully the silicone theory is true and those chips end up being beastly
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    Keep up the good work
    Subscribed
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast