Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JR404's Cube project

I am Xtreme
    Got the front panel wiring done, soldering ain't my thing but got the job done plus the sleeving.
    And most wonderfull thing they work as do the leds

Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

I am Xtreme
    Fitted the rear panel, and attached the mobo tray to it via 3 screws with locking nut. The top screw was the reason I had to redo the fan shroud otherwise there was no room to put a nut...

think I have to redo the PSU opening , gonna make a bigger opening and attach the PSU to an extra acryl panel. Just for looks ...

Next up will be the hard drive placement, have found a way to place them out of the way of the tubing plus neater and easily removable via a HD cage from an Antec case...Pump placement will be higher too, so shorter tubing in my cube and cleaner way of mounting...

teaser pic :p

More work soon....
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 03-30-2007 at 01:06 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Today worked some on the HD cage, as said before I wanted to stack at least 2 HD , make them easily accesible and removable...

I opted first for the Acrul Hd plate but it was wrong on 2 important factors :

1) was in the way of my tubing, so I repositioned it still not good enough
    2) Hd's got too hot ( over 55°C when running)

I kindda liked the idea of my Antec P160 case with the harddrive slides, bu tI love that case so much as does my dad and I didn't want to cut it up...

So I looked around anly 2 other Antec cases I found using a similar manner was the Lanboy and the new 6000 case. Since te latter one was in stock at my vendor and only costed me 50 euro's I went for it as I knew I was gonna be able to sell the case later on , even with a hijacked HD bay...

First piccie shows the HD cage in it's original stateand the new pump placement...

I opted for 3 drives so I cut the 5 drive cage in two aswell as the plastic sliding mechanism... Mounting 4 L shaped alu strips enabled me to mount the HD cage securely to the bottom plate...

Note in the rear the box of the stripped Antec 6000 case...

I mounted the cage with the 4 screws and noticed that the L shaped mounts penetrated (love that word) to deep into the damping mousse... work around was to create an acryl panel that would create an equal force on the damping mousse... mark the spots where the cage foots entered the mousse before the mod. Now with the plate, pressure is spread out equally and it helps to reduce vibrations better ( I think)

After some abrasive work, primer coating and seating the Pump holder this is what it looks like... all will be painted black soon

2 hdd close up with room for a 3rd

Voila everything installed and the box in running condition and HD temps dropped by 13°c around 42°C now

Last edited by Leeghoofd; 03-31-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Firstly congrats on your new addition to the family :-)

Second, awesome work on the case, as you know I am also building a cube case from scratch which is how I came across your thread (saw the link in your sig :-) ) I'm glad you made a comment on mine so I found this thread, very inspiring stuff mate you must be very proud of your achievements, building a case from scratch designed how YOU want it! simply outstanding...I think I might have to seriously consider the fan behind the mobo tray for my own case hehe, Keep up the great work buddy :-)

I am Xtreme
    Ye thx man, I really like your idea of fitting the tubes, good craftmanship...

I don't have to much time to spare with the kiddo, but I get some small details ironed out each day. But it takes ages lol to complete, also when lacking some skills lol and tools to get it done...

Looking forward seeing yours evolve !!

Xtreme Member
    Great looking case

congrats

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    But it takes ages lol to complete
    Doesn't it LoL...I don't think I will be tackling a case from scratch again anytime soon, starting to respect the high cost of the UFo cases now haha... its good knowing in the end i have a case made to the specs i want, i wont have to contort my hands up to fit things in it either which is a bonus...

Look forward to seeing the final result ;-)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Great work there Leeghoofd.

Hopefully jumping on the homemade-cube-case-band-wagon myself soon so I'm keen to see everyone's different ideas and takes on things.

I was wondering why you aren't installing your HDs on the relatively empty right side? I've probably missed something.

I like your countsunk screw fixings in your joints, instead of rivets, too. More work though I had something similar in mind if I didn't go with the Qubelok 'connector/tube' system that AussieJester's using.

I am Xtreme
    Lo GAM , another down under modder, well this pc comes in my desk and if I want to switch HD's it's easier to have access on this side, on top of that the radiator is a bit too low ( wanted to keep it centered ) for 3HD's, plus I wanted a front fan on right hand side plus the BigNG fan controller will be positoned behind the fan... but for now only cable seeving, quality time with the family,...

Your works looks fab too, great stuff , followed the worlds biker build off , damn Aussie bike was amasing craftmanship, sadly it didn't bring home the gold

Xtreme Cruncher
    Fair enough mate.

re Biker Buildoff, I've only watched the first one, where the Aussie bike was all hand made aluminium panels etc. Sadly that bike didn't win against the long nosed US bike.

Xtreme Member
    quality time with the family,...

Your works looks fab too, great stuff , followed the worlds biker build off , damn Aussie bike was amasing craftmanship, sadly it didn't bring home the gold
    Was an awesome display of craftmanship wasn't it :-| HUGE fan of American Chopper also have every episode...MIKEY for president :-P

eeeew to cable sleeving, toss up between sanding and sleeving for my two least favourite things to do LoL

Looking great !
    sorry for the longer wait on the paint job.

I am Xtreme
    No problem master Ribbi, you had to fix the pieces I had made, never ever will I ever listen again to a guy from a hobby shop when it'c PC concerned....

You did hell of a job, too bad I damaged slightly some paintwork, I'm too anxious to get it done, plus I need this PC each day for work and fun , so I need to mod some stuff then put it back together , drag it upstairs (luckily the weight is pretty good, you gotta love Alu )

Also Ribbi I wanted to contact you but since you are amongst the crazy peeps here about etching a panel with some names on it like you did for the Pro gaming Pc's

http://www.moddingmasters.be/project...rogamepc_6.htm

Think that would look cool on the side, off to mod the top panel and more sleeving, got a cool idea to hook up some stuff, but that wil be for thursday or so ....

I am Xtreme
    HD cage back in black , now you see the bottom acryl plate better , hope it glows nice with some UV lights

Last edited by Leeghoofd; 06-22-2007 at 11:57 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Next up the top panel , to break the dull look I opterd to go for an UV transparent panel below it

Cutting in progress :

Panel fitted :

Close up :

Hope like the switch panel, Usb panel , PSU support ( still to be made ) it will give a nice shiny effect when the UV lights go on

I am Xtreme
    Woohoo my Enermax Galaxy has arrived at the shop, gonna pick it up next week; so this PSU can go into the second rig wich will be build once the P5W comes back from RMA and the Core2 CPU's drop in price on the 22nd of April....

I am Xtreme

Talking

Just read through this and it's giving me ideas for a possible summer project (too much work shoehorning a PA120.3 into a case while keeping my old PA160 setup so )

My immediate contribution:
    Rotate pump outlet 60 -80 degrees COUNTERCLOCKWISE from where it is now (aim it @ the CPU block). All too easy not to do this and will shorten tubing + more importantly, minimize a bend or 2..

gratz on the new addition to your family!

cube looks great, i've been thinking about doing a custom job myself as my current case is simply too small for WC (and even some of the bigger air cooling solutions!) I like how you're keeping the case very functional, while still retaining the looks....i've dealt with enough cramped cases and terrible designs, so i understand your motivation

I am Xtreme
    Thx for the nice comments guys...

Mikee kinda looking into ya proposition there, is there a way to turn the pump then while keeping the current mount, I need to put a block under there to create an angle of about 75°C to get it straight from the pump to the CPU block.
    What do you think of removing the NB block and replacing it with a Swiftech NB copper cooler and making a new fan shroud with 3 x 5 cm coolers... I cannot get the bent right from the NB to the GFX card, I tried with longer and shorter tubing, it still bends too hard and reduces flow....

I am Xtreme

Red face

You know I forgot to say congrats or the organic construction project, now you only have to wait ~ 20 yrs to see if the 'behavioral mods' work

I usually just rip off the mounting 'L' and let it float on a silicone heel-pad, so I never had any problems w/ the 'rotation issue', sorry.

Thinking out how to loop the tubing, or I would consider the HR-05 (old or new version) since it would be sitting in front of the loop from the CPU to vidcard. Could make that part of the loop a little longer to stretch around the above if it fits. I haven't used the board or cooler, just have heard good things about the cooler, so you may be the guinea-pig.

Thx for the nice comments guys...

Mikee kinda looking into ya proposition there, is there a way to turn the pump then while keeping the current mount, I need to put a block under there to create an angle of about 75°C to get it straight from the pump to the CPU block.
    What do you think of removing the NB block and replacing it with a Swiftech NB copper cooler and making a new fan shroud with 3 x 5 cm coolers... I cannot get the bent right from the NB to the GFX card, I tried with longer and shorter tubing, it still bends too hard and reduces flow....
    Last edited by mad mikee; 04-13-2007 at 06:40 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Got my Enermax Galaxy DXX today, man this is a heavy PSU, looks amasing, let the cablemodding begin...

I want to create an acryl backpanel for the PSU to add anice shiney glow when applying some UV lights, also some molex connectors will be grouped on an acryl panel too to have easier access and less sloppy wiring...

some piccies of the PSU ...

Xtreme Guru
    Leeghoofd what kind of sound dampening mat is that you are using ?
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

I am Xtreme
    Cooltek Super Silent Universal mats, liked them becasue they looked neat, perform well and aren't super expensive....(around 11 euro's , about 15 dollars)

http://www.cooltek.de/Super-Silent-Universal.html

Xtreme Guru
    thanks for the info Leeghoofd
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Addict
    thats some awesome work!

Oh and congrats on the new baby
    • - Asus P8Z68-V PRO