Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JR404's Cube project

Xtreme Addict
    your backside motherboard cooling is good

did you offset the fan a little to account for the deadspace?

I am Xtreme
    well it can suck air in from the other side of the Cube, plus I added 3mm washers between the tray and the fan so theres about 9mm between the fan and mobo tray... I just wanted to try this since Asus acclaims there Stack cool so high. It might be a long shot and do nothing to aid the cooling or it might be the next big thing lol
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Banned
    I think it is a very cool idea that..the air behind must be static normaly so this might help loads, if not in terms of overclock just the system lasting much longer. I would on my V2000B but sod all sapce and would need to cut into the side pannle on the other side sadly

Xtreme Member
    Oh wow, great job so far on your custom case. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Xtreme Guru
    wow that fan shroud a really nice idea. mmm.. i'm so copying that idea for my next project.. and the rest of this project is looking so sweet too. two thums up mate.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great work so far!

I am Xtreme
    Thx guys gonna start on the rad support profile, drawing at the moment ... monday the cube is off to the painters ....

I am Xtreme
    It's tuesday sadly tuesday a week later, cube still at the paintshop, I overdid it with the abrasive brush, Ribi will try to fix it but will take more time to complete. On Stby there then...

Today did the radiator , yes it finally arrived my black beauty.

Took 2 L profiles again, put the Thermochill Blend on them so the holes match up perfectly and then cut out the holes for the fans so the air passing through won't be obstructed. I still have to get rid of some small areas but that will be for tomorrow or so... anyway enjoy the piccies...

Rad fully assembled, if you look closely there still some alu hindering air passage,... The alu again will be painted and the whole covered by an Acryl Panel...

Sideview, neoprene gasket beteen the alu and radiator to reduce vibrations...

Also my Swiftech copper heatsinks for the PWM area and the Evercool VRC for the southbridge arrived on my doorstep...

hope to have the fully painted cube back this week... Too bad I got delayed so many times , couldn't get it done before the lan this weekend, therefore modded my Armor case with a small side fan to enhance cooling on the northbridge area... which still gets very hot !!

Last edited by Leeghoofd; 02-20-2007 at 10:11 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Got the cube back from the painters, Ribbi wasn't so happy with the result as it was very hard to spray, plus my abrasive work was too rough so he had to polish it a lot to get somewhat smooth. Many thx man for the extra hours you put, for me the reuslt is fab , I never could have achieved this result ( too nervous) some more piccies to add, will fit the rad today, and paint the supports black too...

Mobo tray and support

Cube all shiny black

Egyptian OverClocker
    nice work
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

I am Xtreme
    Thx man , got the rad installed piccies below, 4 screws keep it in place so it can be easily removed... in case I need to change PSU or something....

Also fitted the Swiftech Micro reservoir. Attached it to an acryl panel which in turn is attached to the optical drive mount. Should give me easy tubing and quick removal again ( 4 screws)

Above the reservoir gonna fit a Danger Den quick refill unit so I can easily fill and empty the loop if required
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 03-03-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    congratulations on the new baby and that case is amazing, keep up the good work, I cant wait to see it finished.
    Media PC:[AMD x2 4800][MSI K9N-SLI][2x1gig Corsair DDR2 800][ATI 3650 AIW][Asus Xonar D2X][500gig Samsung SATA][Crap Antec Case and PSU]

I am Xtreme
    continued working on the radiator and mounts today.

First I removed the excess parts that hindered air flow, then some sanding and sprayed a primer coat. After some hours drying sanded it again and applied some layers of black. In the mean time I also sprayed the floor panels in the same "dull black"

I got my 2nd neprone gasket so I could finalise the fan setup on the rad.
    I choose 3x Scythe Flex fans 1200rpm ( got a good deal for them, thx Hans from www.jaha.be) for me they give a good balance between flow and noise, though all has to be seen and heared once the cube is fully operational. If too much noise I revert to 7 volts instead of 12 volts... Taking voltage directly from the PSU I soldered 3 2pin wires to the cable and hooked these up to the fans. Why not direct you may ask , I just want the option to swap (dead) fans and with this setup it's easy to do ...

Fan test hooked up to the current rig , they do spin lol

Last edited by Leeghoofd; 03-13-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Looks great
    OT question how is the 1002 bios working for you?
    =- Main RIG -= Quake 4 flies - Problem Solved
    -= Intel QX6700 2660 MHz OC 3.2 GHz =-
    -= Asus Striker Extreme nVidia nForce 680i SLI =-
    -= PDP Patriot Dual XBLK 2x 1GB DDR2 1 GHz CL4 =-
    -= EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB KO ACS3 =-
    -= Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty =-
    -= WD Raptor X 150 GB 16MB SATA =-
    -= 2xSeagate 320 GB Barracuda 16MB SATAII =-
    -= CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Black =-
    -= Topower TOP-1000P10 U12 EZ =-
    -= Logitech G15 =-
    -= Razer Copperhead Laser 2000 DPI Blue =-
    -= Logitech Z-5500 THX =-
    -= Dell 2407 WFP UltraSharp =-
    -= Windows XP Pro SP2 =-

Sorry for my bad English. I'll try to improve.

I am Xtreme
    Well for my E6600 the 1002 bios is great, sadly for quadcore overclocking not all issues are solved ( yet), FSB overclock is still around 333Mhz for those cpu's.

Painted the floor panels and installed the pump in the mean time, I orientated it to be straight towards the reservoir so I could reduce some tubing and bends....

Next up was the mobo, got the heatpipe system out an dnoticed I had some green corrosive stuff near the NB , maybe a leak in the pipe ?

Swiftech coppersinks for the PWM area to be extra cooled by the 2 5cm fans placed on the shroud

NB via the MCW30 copper cooler, ceramique grease used. Had to cut it slighlty becasue it interfered with the capacitor above the PCI express slot

SB via VRC-E copper cooler, needed to redrill the holes slightly to make it fit, ceramique greased used... also needed to cut the lever off the middle PCI express slot

Last edited by Leeghoofd; 03-15-2007 at 10:59 AM.

I am Xtreme
    First steps of the tubing goin in, connected pump and radiator to the reservoir. Good tip to soften the tubing via hot water , otherwise it's a damn bugga to connect

Rad looks fab too with the supports all black need to put a protective cover layer but wanted to finish the rig asap, and work on the details later on...

I am Xtreme
    watercooling setup complete, looks great, now filing the reservoir , then some shaking around and then start the pump to bleed out the air, refill, tralalaalaa

Xtreme Guru
    not bad, not bad at all. i really like everything that you have done so far.
    keep it up mate.

btw i love to look at photos and i know i'm not the only one, so next time you update could you please post little bit more pics for us. after all we are talking about a custom made case here. So every little piece of info "what takes to build a case from scratch" is more than wellcome.
    Last edited by Solarfall; 03-15-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

I am Xtreme
    thx man , well not such a good photographer plus no dwarings or stuff, it's all in the head ...

Well anyway leak tests done for an hour, working on the rig now but will continue leak test tonite..

Temps for the CPU are dissapointingly the same as for the Ultra 120 (coretemp of around 58°C at 3600mhz 1.4 volts Orhtos blend ) but I knew that, NB is 15°C cooler according the asus board opt1 sensor, GPU is amasingly low at 28°C idle and 35°C load ( 3dmark 2006 )

More piccies soon as I start working on the panels
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 05-08-2007 at 06:43 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Cube in action with flash

without flash

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ohhh man... it's hard to my ayes jejeje very nice mod. great ideas...
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @
    Cruz Alta (Cba.) Argentina

I am Xtreme
    Thx for the thumbs up, good ideas yeah craftmanship is a bit less but I'm happy with the talent I got....

today worked on the USB panel and power and reset button panel.

USB panel will be on the side due to the fact the cables weren't long enough to run to the front lol

constructed it out of 3mm Acryl UV reactive , hope it gives a nice effect in the dark...

I attached the USB panel to the floor panel so it stays there when I remove the sidepanel...

Again piccie time ...

and fully installed in the cube

Next up the front panel

Cut 2 x 4cm holes then used a jigsaw to join the 2 holes, you get a nice oval shape ...

2 buttons installed, never mind the messy wiring that's for later ...

I am Xtreme
    More work done added the top panel ( stil have to make a fill hole ) and added right front panel too

Next up will be too paint the floppy support and mount a black drive in there

then the rear panel, HD support needs to be redone, then wiring .... no sex for this lad lately ...

Nice one

I am Xtreme
    K got some more work done,

First up was to remod the fan shroud (as it was the easiest task to do lol )
    I just shortened it to provide clearance for the rear panel to be fitted with an extra nut.

New model

Also countersunk the screws now ...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 06-22-2007 at 11:55 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast