Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad Core Phasing and Information : Read it here!

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by K404
    if the worst case scenario is taken for a TDP rating, that leaves it open to a lot of variables, isnt the power output of the CPU itself constant under all conditions? the only thing that will be different is temperature.

350W for an OCed Kents seems very high, scaling that would put the actual TDP of Conroe around 90+W, not 65W?
    Not quite sure what you're saying here, but remember that the TDP rating given by Intel is @ DEFAULT vcore and nothing more

Xtreme Mentor
    I say it again and again:

The TDP is not the power consumption of the chip. And usually not even by far.

The sooner people like in this thread and whoever makes that "xtreme PSU calculator" absorb this very easy to understand fact, the better for all of us.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    lol definately true, but for a given set of CPU parameters (ie...stock speed, stock voltage) is there not only one possible CPU power dissipation?

Take a CPU to 40 degrees, 0, -50,-125 the thermal output will still be the same for the speed and voltage wont it?

Are Intel still playing games with their rated TDP? (average load, average conditions etc, not full-load?)
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by uOpt
    I say it again and again:

The TDP is not the power consumption of the chip. And usually not even by far.

The sooner people like in this thread and whoever makes that "xtreme PSU calculator" absorb this very easy to understand fact, the better for all of us.
    Just curious if your comment was directed @ me? Because I clearly state that it's the amount of heat (in watts) which is dissipated by the cpu.....

OK...I just did a bit of research and it turns out that Intel's definition of TDP is different than AMD's My comments regarding TDP can be applied to AMD's only...as for Intel, you guys are on your own

Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    OK...I just did a bit of research and it turns out that Intel's definition of TDP is different than AMD's My comments regarding TDP can be applied to AMD's only...as for Intel, you guys are on your own
    That was a large part of my point I wasnt gonna try an use any other terms in regard to power dissipation until we were all on the same page.
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Just curious if your comment was directed @ me? Because I clearly state that it's the amount of heat (in watts) which is dissipated by the cpu.....
    Yes, because it's not.

Of course the amount of heat dissipated is equal to the power consumption, and neither is the TDP. Where do you think the energy would go if not into heat? Unless you overclock so much that a part of the energy goes into light for glowing or a big flash or even a shockwave then it's going into heat.

But the TDP is not the dissipated heat.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by uOpt
    Yes, because it's not.

Of course the amount of heat dissipated is equal to the power consumption, and neither is the TDP. Where do you think the energy would go if not into heat? Unless you overclock so much that a part of the energy goes into light for glowing or a big flash or even a shockwave then it's going into heat.

But the TDP is not the dissipated heat.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/30430.pdf - pg.29......
    Thermal Design Power (TDP) is measured under the conditions of TCASE Max, IDD Max, and VDD=VID_VDD, and include all power dissipated on-die from VDD, VDDIO, VLDT, VTT, and VDDA.

-100C Club Member
    be interesting if a builder could use a Q6700 at max oc then see what wattage on a resistor load it takes to give the same temps?
    specially one of the hotter steppings

-150c Club Member
    Very good idea kayl! I dont have a quad core but I can right down temperatures of the evap by K-type probe for every 5 watts of load then the new owner can report back to us what temperature!

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337
    Very good idea kayl! I dont have a quad core but I can right down temperatures of the evap by K-type probe for every 5 watts of load then the new owner can report back to us what temperature!
    I would be most happy to do so when I get it in operation!! Keep your logs, and I will let you know what readings I get when it's up and chillin'.

-100C Club Member

Cool, will you be using a variac to do that?
    If you get those results along with some other ppls results we can start to work out ruffly what sort of wattage we need on our load tester to simulate Quad cores.
    I might be getting this chip, It’s a Q6700 ES
    With Cathars storm and 3x120 GT Stealth radiators at 3ghz and 1.25vcore running orthos for 1 hour loading all core we get 74c die temps , now that’s hot. Imagine 1.7v and 4ghz

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kayl
    I might be getting this chip, It’s a Q6700 ES
    With Cathars storm and 3x120 GT Stealth radiators at 3ghz and 1.25vcore running orthos for 1 hour loading all core we get 74c die temps , now that’s hot. Imagine 1.7v and 4ghz
    This chip isn't that good...
    Mine (retail QX6700) does 3200 Mhz with 1.24V quad-prime and 3690 Mhz 1.4V quad-prime with watercooling -> 1.4V with approx 25°C water temp and 75°C core temp!

btw: I'm going to test the quad under different phase change units... but I can't do it under my own units because I don't have cold-ice feedback about my vacuum pump (it seems that it doesn't work properly)...
    And I also need a nice cartridge heater! But I can't get them here...

HVAC/R Engineer
    Basically if you take a stock MAchII add a 8 oz suction accumulator charge it for operation at -32 to-35C with R404 or 507 ( loaded suction pressures of 5 to PSIG you should have better results at load and stability but you total system charge should be kept at 10 to 12 OZ and you will also need to add an economiser in teh suction line between the suctionline and the accumulator.

The vapo will need a larger displacment compressor, a suitable compressor of 9 cc to 11 cc for 60hz and 11 to 12 cc for 50hz should work with teh previous mods andcharge.

The capillary tubing can staythe samebut alittle larger one willgive you higher effeciency, maybe 0.028 , 0.031 os simmilar 93 inches to 120 inches respectively.

Banned
    Mach2 is so old :p i'm getting mach2gt !

-150c Club Member
    Economiser?
    I havent heard of that before, someone care to explain?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by {.bLanK} GoD
    If the heat load was too much, wouldn't the compressor die from overheating due to the lack of suction cooling?
    is this confirmed?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    drag, no that is not true. when the heat load is too much the refrigerant flow is actually at maximum. Compressors aren't meant to be cooled by liquid refrigerant (well some are but not the ones we use).

Xtreme Addict
    possible to liquid cool the compressor? there's a new mod for someone aha

Banned
    i'll just try, within 5 weeks i hope. the asus striker extreme is a pain to get in stock over here

-150c Club Member
    Hmmm thanks to Runmc, Under-the-Ice may begin stocking some .036 ID capillary line for the higher load units that are becoming more and more popular!

Champion
    Economiser?
    I havent heard of that before, someone care to explain?
    I think it's a liquid subcooler . Or in other words a SLHX .

Quote Originally Posted by TopherTony
    possible to liquid cool the compressor? there's a new mod for someone aha
    Thought of that a while ago...a waterblock like a cap (hat, not capillary) for the top of the compressor, but it wouldnt be worth it...also expensive
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K404
    Thought of that a while ago...a waterblock like a cap (hat, not capillary) for the top of the compressor, but it wouldnt be worth it...also expensive
    Has anyone considered building a large heat sink, or many small heat sinks, that could be fitted over the compressor. i.e. adding fins to it to get dissipate the heat quicker when using a fan.
    • 146 939 + DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D
    • SS Chilly1
    • Geil Ultra-X (bh-5)
    • HIS X1900 XT Extreme

-150c Club Member
    Properly building to the heatload will let the compressors run at the temperatures they should run at. We don't need to start special cooling our compressors.

Xtreme Member
    Can't do any harm though can it, especially as most units have a fan moving air around the compressor anyway which could also be considered as 'special cooling'?
    • 146 939 + DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D
    • SS Chilly1
    • Geil Ultra-X (bh-5)
    • HIS X1900 XT Extreme

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast