Thread: How to get back in the game if you've been down and out

Xtreme Member

How to get back in the game if you've been down and out

Ok, the thread title was lame - I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be a tard...

A couple of years ago, my every waking moment was spent reading hardware retailer's websites and memorising spec sheets. I thought I knew everything about computers, electronic products on the market, and what exactly I was going to spend my money next, and why. Back then I had a lot of free time, and was relatively free to concentrate on being just such an enthusiast.

Then, for the two following years, school work started piling up along with countless other things to distract me from my one true love. I couldn't afford to browse spec sheets aimlessly anymore, so thought I'd try a practical approach. I piled up as many computer parts as I could to satiate my desires, but it didn't get any better.

This last year I've had about an hour or two a week to spend on actually playing with machines or reading forums about them. I subscribed to RSS feeds long ago, but I checked them so intermittently that I was often disheartened with the prospect of reading 3000 new headlines.

Now, I've fallen far behind. Farrrrrrr behind. I've bearly kept abreast of new developments - but unlike some of my friends (who had far too much time on their hands), was not able to absorb the information like a sponge.

I come to you, XS, for help. I know, this is what is seems: a tard noob's cry for help doing what he should be doing himself. I made a mental note to myself all year that at its end I would sit down for a month and reimmerse myself in the industry, and this was scheduled to start tonight - but my computer has packed a fit and won't start (hard drive I/O timeouts seem to be the culprit).

XS, I desire to be pro again. All I ask for (nicely) is a hand up:

Which review sites are best to frequent?

I mainly frequent anandtech, but know of the others. They all contain so much repeated information it's hard to find justification sometimes. Which do you guys browse (if any), and how often? Do you read an entire review or only the parts which interest you?

Which forums?

Obviously I read XS as often as possible (despite the somewhat gargantuan 500 new posts every day), and am aware of [H], although I do not frequent it as I should. I signed up to overclockers.com in one of my spare moments but haven't had much chance to go back.

Which feeds?

RSS is brilliant - but sometimes can be an information overload. I quickly get bored of reading about things I cannot touch or feel (mmmm), so my previous habit of multitudinous feed reading cannot remain. Are there are brilliant ones I should definitely subscribe to? (I request opinions, as I know more of what's out there than what to think of them.)

Lastly, I know that to be a legend you need experience. I will make time for this experience, have no doubt, and I'm not trying to get something for nothing here (as some would probably rush to accuse me) - but if you feel an alien in your own neighbourhood then you've got to start making friends again somehow, right? Right?

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be lovely. I've finished high school now, so time has made itself available. I don't wish to waste it.

Thanks so much in advance!
    Last edited by Growly; 01-17-2007 at 05:58 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Read XS.
    Honestly most review sites have on bias or another, Anand is well regarded I believe and a few others, though I rarely check them out. Generally I just read A LOT of XS. I trusts thousands of users over on guy with a big name website.

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnj
    Read XS.
    Honestly most review sites have on bias or another, Anand is well regarded I believe and a few others, though I rarely check them out. Generally I just read A LOT of XS. I trusts thousands of users over on guy with a big name website.
    That was my first port of call too actually (good to see I wasn't too off). Thanks very much for your reply! Now, all I have to do is fix that damned PC and then I can get started again.

Oh, the pain.

I agree, reading the various sections at XS will get you back on your feet. I was also away from the hobby for about a year so I know how it feels. I check various articles of interest @ THG, Anandtech, X-Bit Labs, and others to keep up on new developments.

Try to stay current in the "Xtreme News" forum at least.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    Tom's Hardware, Hexus, AnandTech, X-bit labs, there all good. For forums this one is really good, the THG forum is pretty good, im alot more active there, OCforums.com is a good site but a little slower then this one or THG's forum.

Xtreme Member
    Please stay away from Tom's it's garbage, they have been exposed for false and unfair benchmarking several times.

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnj
    Please stay away from Tom's it's garbage, they have been exposed for false and unfair benchmarking several times.

REALLY?! Could you show me some proof? Im not saying your wrong, i just want to verify this...interesting new development.

Xtreme Member
    This is excellent - thanks again guys! After cleaning my room, I should have some nodes to contribute to the grid too...

Heh I hear that THG is unreliable, but I've only read their obscure reviews (on RAID cards, for example). Those were good.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by apt403
    REALLY?! Could you show me some proof? Im not saying your wrong, i just want to verify this...interesting new development.
    Nothing new about this.

They seem to have smartened up a little lately, but they developed such a bad rep for being Intel-biased f*cktards, i refuse to read any of their reviews w/o huge grains of salt.

I'm sure others might remember better, but there was the infamous Intel vs. AMD stability testing review where the Intel system was unstable with stock cooler, & then it had other issues, so they replaced PSU.

Somehow they manually restarted the AMD system along the way & then reported that as an instability restart when they eventually finished the review.

The details of that one are fuzzy, but i would put no trust in them whatsoever, as their were many other BS articles they used to put out.
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | i7 930 @ 4 GHz | Corsair H50
    G.Skill RipJaws 4x2 GB @ DDR3-1600 7-7-6-24-1N | HIS Radeon HD 5870
    3x Intel X25-M 80 GB RAID-0; OCZ Agility 120 GB | Samsung SH-S243D
    Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Member
    Wow, thats sucks, THG was one of my favorite review sites. Atleast there forum is still good.

They still have good video card data.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340