Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water cooling the Chipsets,, EVGA 680i

Overclocking Guru

Water cooling the Chipsets,, EVGA 680i

I'm doing a review on this Mountain Mods case. I switched over my gear from my old Lian Li case the other day.
    I built a 1/2" loop with some 1/4" "F" fittings, using the 1/4" in parallel to cool my chipset coolers.
    I'm going to use this rig as my silent 24/7 PC. The loop is cool as hell and works great, I just had to show off

OPP

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	2227 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	54888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	2536 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	54889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	2182 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	54890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	2537 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	54891  

Hey.. those video card heatsinks are not Swiftech MC14s (OCZ? TT?) !! Nice Optimax 1203 machine. How did you manage to mount a MCR320? Mount using only the center fan screws?
    Last edited by IanY; 01-18-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY
    Hey.. those video card heatsinks are not Swiftech MC14s (OCZ? TT?) !! Nice Optimax 1203 machine. How did you manage to mount a MCR320? Mount using only the center fan screws?
    Mounted the 2 outside fans to the case, then I mounted the middle fan to the case/Rad. So the middle fan holds the Rad in place. Rock solid I might add. The MCR320 allows for plenty of air flow to get into the case itself, even with the fans on low as they can go

OPP
    Last edited by OPPAINTER; 01-18-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Perhaps you guys should consider launching a Swiftech Extreme Edition case in corroboration with MM.

That Antec case is a nice start, but a higher end platform would be desirable, if it is economically feasible.

Also, looking at those 1/4" tubes, a G80 ram block would be nice, just like your G70 ram block. That should quell all criticism of your vga product compared to a typical full covered block, and yet retain the upgradeability feature which is your source of strategic competitive advantage versus full covered blocks.
    Last edited by IanY; 01-18-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Overclocking Guru
    I'm loving the temps and noise level with this bad boy.
    A major upgrade over my last 120 water loop.
    http://www.xtremesystems.com/lianli/29.jpg

OPP

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	1606 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	54894  
    Last edited by OPPAINTER; 01-18-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY
    Perhaps you guys should consider launching a Swiftech Extreme Edition case in corroboration with MM.
    I have to admit, these MM cases are a watercoolers dream. So much room the cooling combinations are endless.

OPP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gotta love the cube style cases.

Your gonna have to paint those drives though
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Quote Originally Posted by OPPAINTER
    Mounted the 2 outside fans to the case, then I mounted the middle fan the case/Rad. So the middle fan holds the Rad in place. Rock solid I might add. The MCR320 allows for plenty of air flow to get into the case itself, even with the fans on low as they can go

OPP
    Thats a good idea because I was trying to find a way to mount a pa120.2 in the back of my u2-ufo without cutting up the case since the pre-cut holes only fit a mcr or bip rad.

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon
    Gotta love the cube style cases.

Your gonna have to paint those drives though
    Na, I'm not really into making it look good
    I just want the performance and no noise

OPP
    Last edited by OPPAINTER; 01-18-2007 at 09:15 AM.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Nice cube Eric.
    I just realized how small European tubing (1/4") is compared to what you Americans mainly use.
    Too bad its really hard to get ahold of bigger tubing and bigger fittings over here :/

And that Swiftech rad looks pretty much like the Cooltek Maxistream I got. Do you know if they are identical or just looking similar?

So how exactly did you set up your loop?

pump - CPU - GFX - rad - res - pump

Thats the big tubing I can see, but how exactly did you set up the smaller parallel loop?
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3ak
    Nice cube Eric.
    I just realized how small European tubing (1/4") is compared to what you Americans mainly use.
    Too bad its really hard to get ahold of bigger tubing and bigger fittings over here :/

And that Swiftech rad looks pretty much like the Cooltek Maxistream I got. Do you know if they are identical or just looking similar?

So how exactly did you set up your loop?

pump - CPU - GFX - rad - res - pump

Thats the big tubing I can see, but how exactly did you set up the smaller parallel loop?
    Thats exactly how I set it up.

Now as far as running the 1/4" with the 1/2". I have an "f" fitting http://swiftech.com/store/product_de...asp?ProdID=420
    at the pump outlet, so from there my ½” goes to the CPU and the 1/4" goes to the Northbridge. Then the 1/2" goes down to the GPU and the 1/4" goes to the Southbridge. From there both tubes go to the Rad inlet, {6" before the Rad inlet I have an "F" fitting so both the 1/2 and 1/4 merge into one 1/2" before going into the Rad)

OPP

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was like that, but I have never seen such an F fitting before.

Is it a problem having a way more restrictive 1/2" loop compared to the 1/4" loop? I can imagine that most of the water takes the way with the lowest restriction, which would harm your main loops flow.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now as far as running the 1/4" with the 1/2". I have an "f" fitting at the pump outlet, so from there my ½” goes to the CPU and the 1/4" goes to the Northbridge. Then the 1/2" goes down to the GPU and the 1/4" goes to the Southbridge. From there both tubes go to the Rad inlet, {6" before the Rad inlet I have an "F" fitting so both the 1/2 and 1/4 merge into one 1/2" before going into the Rad)

OPP
    I'm sure glad you cleared that up. I was scratching my head looking at your pics.
    MSI Big Bang XPower
    Core i7 930 @ 3.38 Ghz
    6 x 2GB Patriot DDR3 1600
    XFX Double D 7850
    Therltake Toughpower 1200
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    OCZ Revodrive 3 120GB
    Corsair 700D
    Dell 2405FPW
    W7 Pro 64 bit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awesome loop Opp, Swiftech rocks and I love your clever chipset cooling loop!
    x6.wickeD

Xtreme Guru
    really clean looking rig you have there, ufo's sure look nice.
    got to ask how are your temps with that beast.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Banned
    Nice job. Could you tell us your hardware specs, as well?

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3ak
    Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was like that, but I have never seen such an F fitting before.

Is it a problem having a way more restrictive 1/2" loop compared to the 1/4" loop? I can imagine that most of the water takes the way with the lowest restriction, which would harm your main loops flow.
    I was seriously amazed at the high flow rate I was getting in both the 1/4" and 1/2". I can not tell what the actual rate is, but it's great, the liquid fly’s through there for some reason.

OPP

I love the little subtle marketing spin as he describes the high flow rate lol D5 pumps are powerful.

I'm envious that you work for the company that designs stuff to fulfill your hobby.. and obviously enjoy what you do for a living The rest of us have boring jobs with boring companies doing what we hate doing

That case makes me want to leave the office right now and go home and cuddle my MM

Xtreme Member
    Why bother with 1/4" fittings? The MCW30's take 1/2", and your temps would improve even more . You might have a little difficulty making it over your second video card, but even with a 90degree fitting thrown in, your flow would be better than it is now...at least, as physics tells me so .

Loooooove the red, I wish more people used it
    465 Watts of Computing Power....Running Off the Sun.
    **w00t for solar panels**

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfall
    really clean looking rig you have there, ufo's sure look nice.
    got to ask how are your temps with that beast.
    So far I have a mild overclock going with all my fans on low, I have not had the time to experiment and push it yet. My E6600 is running at 3750MHz with 1.4V. I'm using Corsair Detonator 8888 memory which I have not played much with either.
    I’m not sure about the ambient but my idle is 34c and load is 57c with both cores maxed out. I have not tried it with the fans running maxed.
    Sunday I will push this rig, including the memory and the 8800GTS card. So I can write up the review.

OPP

Name:	Untitled.gif 
Views:	1508 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	54898  
    Last edited by OPPAINTER; 01-18-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    I have to admit, these MM cases are a watercoolers dream. So much room the cooling combinations are endless.

OPP
    I've been saying that since 2003

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Can you please do me a favor and post a picture of your SB and the tube clearance between the MCW30 and the 8800GTS Vreg heatsinks? Thanks.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    I’m not sure about the ambient but my idle is 34c and load is 57c with both cores maxed out. I have not tried it with the fans running maxed.
    Sunday I will push this rig, including the memory and the 8800GTS card. So I can write up the review.

OPP
    OPP, please make sure to use TAT to generate load, there is nothing like it.

GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJollyFellow
    Why bother with 1/4" fittings? The MCW30's take 1/2", and your temps would improve even more . You might have a little difficulty making it over your second video card, but even with a 90degree fitting thrown in, your flow would be better than it is now...at least, as physics tells me so .

Loooooove the red, I wish more people used it
    1/2" all around would just make for more of a pain when I get around to switching out CPUs and GPUs. That’s why I opted for the 1/4", very user friendly tubing.

OPP

Overclocking Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1
    OPP, please make sure to use TAT to generate load, there is nothing like it.

Do you have a link?

Is it hotter on the CPU then cpuburn "BURNK6" ?

OPP
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast