Thread: 360gph

Xtreme Member

360gph

That's right I just got around to doing a flow test on my custom built watercooling and it takes 10 seconds to fill a gallon ice cream pail this is with everything hooked up in the loop, block, res, pump, heatercore. Here's a pic of the custom test bucket I had to make to do the test with everything hooked up.

Been doing similar experiments of my own:

You must be the feller that suggested I use 5 barbs on my block, judging from how yours is set up. What kind of pump did you use to achieve your flow rate? I'm nowhere's near as good, about 128 GPH.

Ritalin Junkie
    borg bob!!!
    finnaly, i found you!!
    you are the guy who modded the swifty into a waterblcok...
    i am planning on doing a similar thing, only with a thermalright sk6. its very small, got very VERY thin fins and is all copper. perfect for the job, i think. i want to ask you though, where did you get that plastic? how much was it? what did you glue it with? how exactly did you mount it onto the heatsink? what were the major problems with that? i would really appreciate any info i could get on this.
    i am sure many others would too
    thanks

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by BorgBob
    Been doing similar experiments of my own:

You must be the feller that suggested I use 5 barbs on my block, judging from how yours is set up. What kind of pump did you use to achieve your flow rate? I'm nowhere's near as good, about 128 GPH.
    Hi BorgBob, I am not that feller although I do use five barbs on my current block. The pump I am using is a Rainbow Quiet One specs:
    1/25HP
    1140gph max flow (724gph @ 4' head)
    15' shut off head
    amps .76
    volts 115
    watts 87
    Extremely quiet
    I use 5/8" ID barb and tubing on the pump inlet and 1/2" barb and tubing on the pump outlet.

Fascinating numbers!

So your down to 300 GPH on a pump that's supposed to be capable of at least double that, which is similar to the degredation I've had.

I wonder what the test fixture is that let's them claim these big numbers for these pumps? Maybe they're pluggin' 'er on into 220 V or something.

Originally posted by dmitriyaz
    borg bob!!!
    finnaly, i found you!!
    you are the guy who modded the swifty into a waterblcok...
    i am planning on doing a similar thing, only with a thermalright sk6. its very small, got very VERY thin fins and is all copper. perfect for the job, i think. i want to ask you though, where did you get that plastic? how much was it? what did you glue it with? how exactly did you mount it onto the heatsink? what were the major problems with that? i would really appreciate any info i could get on this.
    i am sure many others would too
    thanks
    Dmitriyaz, the details you seek may be found in my Borg worklog over on Pheaton: http://www.pheatonforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=446

Enjoy!

Ritalin Junkie
    thanks,
    but from what you wrote it doesnt look like a way to save money to me anymore...:p oh well
    but to start with, i won't buy a swiftie...

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by BorgBob
    Fascinating numbers!

So your down to 300 GPH on a pump that's supposed to be capable of at least double that, which is similar to the degredation I've had.

I wonder what the test fixture is that let's them claim these big numbers for these pumps? Maybe they're pluggin' 'er on into 220 V or something.
    Just visited your link. That's a nice piece of work you got goin with your borg cube. I see that your flow rate is 128gph but that is without the block yet, have you tested with the block? I am getting 360gph with the full loop. I may try to get more by making another block top with different higher diameter barbs and getting another heatercore and modding higher diameter barbs to that also. I tested 540gph with the pump, block and a 3' height like it is so the rad added to the loop is what really dropped flow.