Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cisco sues Apple over iPhone...

Xtreme Christmas Lighter

Cisco sues Apple over iPhone...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070110/...te/cisco_apple

SAN FRANCISCO - Cisco Systems Inc. said Wednesday it is suing Apple Inc. in federal court over Apple's use of Cisco's registered iPhone trademark for its new handheld device.

Cisco has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070110/...te/cisco_apple

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol rinsed... i like :P

Xtreme Member
    Apple should have probably done their research first...

Xtreme Addict
    hasnt anyone at Apple actually checked the records for the name "iPhone" before they even started planning the hardware?

I mean seriously, how dumb can you be, this is Sony type of dumb.

Xtreme Gamer
    ZING!

What did i say in my post yesterday?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...62&postcount=2

"Waits for lawsuit from Cisco for trademark infringement."

-yesterday

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn.

im sigging that./
    Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    •i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz - 1.32v - CM Hyper 212 Evo
    •G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GB
    •ASUS 7850 @ 1250//5800
    •Corsair TX650 V2
    •Dell 3007WFP
    •Win 7 64 Ult

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wangerin
    im sigging that./

I can't help but laugh out loud at this...

System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Cruncher
    wait all media said they could use iphone because of this.... so i supposed they reached an agreement about the name... i dont think apple is that dumb
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Cruncher
    just wait, i thought engadget reported that they had settled this. http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/18/c...d-voip-phones/
    well, i trust engadget as much as inq.

Banned
    I enjoy seeing Apple get owned.

Admin
    They were in talks, and Cisco gave them a verbal agreement and sent a contract, but apparently one party didn't like the terms.

Cisco says Apple didn't like it, which has me curious.....waiting for both sides to say something.

Worse comes to worst, it will be called Apple Phone and Apple pays legal fees.

Xtreme Gamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Omastar

that's what I'm siggin.

Banned
    I think 3 people have various witty things I've said sigged now. I truly feel like the belle of the ball.

Xtreme Addict
    apple could fight it though, trademark or no trademark. apple could argue their rights to the name iphone through their branding of imacs, ibooks and ipods. As such any iphone would be associated with apple. In addition the imac came out in 98, and ibook in 1999. I suspect apple trademarked ipod a good deal before its 2001 launch as well. Apple establishes the i(product) name prior to the iphone trademark being granted. Apple do have good grounds to fight for the iphone name and trademark.

I'd suspect some sort of agreement will be made, where cisco rename their subsequent products and forfeit their trademark in return for some product bundling (eg. Cisco VOIP phone offered as an optional extra with new macs etc.)
    Last edited by onewingedangel; 01-10-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley
    Apple would lose MISERABLY. Trademarks are first come, first serve. It is one of the few REALLY black and white legal areas.

Plus, Apple makes it a habit to infringe on trademarks. Know how many times they have LOST legal battles w/ the Beatles over the Apple logo and name? (Beatles Apple Records has gotten so much loot from Apple computer over the last 20 years it isn't even funny).

No, if there was no contract signed. Cisco owns apple on this.
    Something tells me this is just Cisco saying: sign the damn paper, we don't mess around.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel
    apple could fight it though, trademark or no trademark. apple could argue their rights to the name iphone through their branding of imacs, ibooks and ipods. As such any iphone would be associated with apple. In addition the imac came out in 98, and ibook in 1999. I suspect apple trademarked ipod a good deal before its 2001 launch as well. Apple establishes the i(product) name prior to the iphone trademark being granted. Apple do have good grounds to fight for the iphone name and trademark.

I'd suspect some sort of agreement will be made, where cisco rename their subsequent products and forfeit their trademark in return for some product bundling (eg. Cisco VOIP phone offered as an optional extra with new macs etc.)
    IPHONE has been around since 1997...

http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/94369.htm

"It further contends that it has used the name since June 6, 1997"

Absolutely no excuse. y? Stupid? Or both?

Xtreme Addict
    It most certainly isn't black and white, if it goes to court both sides have a legitimate claim to the name. However the name doesn't benefit Cisco other than to benefit off of apples uses of the i(product) nonclamature. For them it would surely be better to come to an agreement where they can make money out of the situation.

For Apple, losing the case would be bad - but for Cisco winning doesn't benefit. So its liable to be settled before going to court, both sides are likely milking the conflict in order to better position themselves in the terms of the agreement, and media released statements are just one such tactic.

Xtreme Cruncher
    yeah, they'll just pay.

YouTube Addict
    LMAO
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley
    NO THEY DO NOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel
    It most certainly isn't black and white, if it goes to court both sides have a legitimate claim to the name. However the name doesn't benefit Cisco other than to benefit off of apples uses of the i(product) nonclamature. For them it would surely be better to come to an agreement where they can make money out of the situation.

For Apple, losing the case would be bad - but for Cisco winning doesn't benefit. So its liable to be settled before going to court, both sides are likely milking the conflict in order to better position themselves in the terms of the agreement, and media released statements are just one such tactic.
    Brent is right on this one, it would kinda be like AMD creating Athlon Core, Duron Core, etc Core, and then trying to copyright Core 2 Dual
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    Easy fix, iFone. That is unless moviefone.com doesn't like them spelling "fone" the same way.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Omastar

So true.....
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Xtreme Member
    The only reasonable posts in this thread are by onewingedangel and he is completely spot on. Many of the other responses are childish 'jibes' with no thought put into them.

Apple Records suing Apple Computers was really silly and was almost legal based opportunism rather then a valid defense of their 'Brand' / Trademark. This area of law in-of-itself is often quite inane at times, and one wonders why so many people are becoming cynical with the entire common law system.
    Q6600 @ 3.0 | 8GB G-Skill @ 800 Mhz 5-5-5-20 | ATI 3870 Stock 1 x 500 GB Seagate 7200.11
    1 x 1TB Seagate 7200.11 | 2 x 320GB Seagate 7200.10
    Seasonic S12-550 Energy +CM Stacker

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn.
    hasnt anyone at Apple actually checked the records for the name "iPhone" before they even started planning the hardware?

Dumb? No way man, this is the exact media attention they want. Big companies do this all the time. Apple knows there is a very good chance they loose in court, so they put some half assed lawyers on the case to make it not too expensive. Afterwards everybody knows of Apple's new product name, and what name they really wanted to use.

You're dumb if you seriously believe Apple didn't know the iPhone name was registered already.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast