Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: The ***OFFICIAL*** F@H Harassment and discussion thread!!!

GAM, you haven't seemed to be pursuing "sparkle day" like you had been. I should be easier to take down right now with some of my systems not running F@H (helping the WCG guys for a little while). Care to try and threaten me again?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
    GAM, you haven't seemed to be pursuing "sparkle day" like you had been. I should be easier to take down right now with some of my systems not running F@H (helping the WCG guys for a little while). Care to try and threaten me again?
    ..... No, but I've been watching you nevertheless. Ever since your upgrades a month or so ago I realised 'Sparkle Day' was just a dream unless I obtained more hardware or you had some bad luck. The latter was not desirable and the former is out of the question according to the CFO (darling Wifey )

However, I'm folding fairly consistently again now, averaging around 900ppd. This would be a hell of a lot better if it wasn't for ALL THESE DAMN 21XX'S!!!!...... AAAaaaarrrgh! HTPC has been living off them for months now. I've even tried canning projects midway in frustration but I just get another the same and lose any progression.

I'm content. I managed to pass Servin247365 and dcsfd recently. That was nice Flyboy and daddy fizz are on the horizon now, but there are a couple behind me too... like Martin Bush Jesperson... whom I have no chance of countering.

Give me a month or so and hopefully I'll be right behind you in the rankings... er, around 14?

What? My upgrade of my CPU was enough to hold you off huh? Well, OK that and cranking up to the 3D clocks on my X1900XT for the GPU client...

So the 212x WU's is what is keeping your production down? You used to be pretty darn close to being bright red. But then so was I but now look what those 212x WU's have done
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, quite a startling difference in PPD across some of these projects The last month my folding has been back to normal - Main x2 cores, HTP x2 cores, Server down to x1 (read somewhere that HT cpu's should run single instance) but Server produces very little anyway.

Stanford I think prefers you use 1 instance on a HT CPU, but if you run 2 both will run slower but your PPD will benefit a little IIRC
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Member
    i continue to be the bottom active feeder

An OpenNIC member.

Quote Originally Posted by texnofobix
    i continue to be the bottom active feeder
    Hey you are still climbing the charts. Maybe you should buy a cheap motherboard, RAM, and an X2 or opteron and put a 24/7 SMP client cruncher together. That would help your stats a lot. I have a HD that you could have if you don't have one for it. Maybe a power supply as well, I'd have to check on that.
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Member
    there is no ebuild for the smp client in gentoo that i know of

i might just have to make one

An OpenNIC member.

do so then, I'm sure you can handle it, you are a linux guru after all! To me anyway
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Cruncher
    Funny... just noticed I'm gaining jimmyboy... although there has been one (slow ) core for him ~three months

Xtreme Cruncher
    I put on a 64 bit folder the other day, but noticed this morning it might not be getting credit 'cos the time/date is set wrong I'll check it later. My main folder is being used for benchmarking purposes at the moment too

I was scratching my head trying to figure out where that odd 396 pointer came from every now & then

@GAM are you running 2x windows clients on your main rig? If so you could try running VMWare server (free download, just need to register to get serials for it iirc) on your e6400, then run 64-bit linux inside that. I think there's only a fairly small performance hit from running inside VM (10-20%) and I'm sure that would bump your ppd nicely. You might have looked into the linux route already, but I thought I'd mention it regardless
    Last edited by jimwah; 02-07-2007 at 01:06 AM.

Nice to see you post again sc00p, I was worried that you disappeared on us!
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwah
    ...@GAM are you running 2x windows clients on your main rig? If so you could try running VMWare server (free download, just need to register to get serials for it iirc) on your e6400, then run 64-bit linux inside that. I think there's only a fairly small performance hit from running inside VM (10-20%) and I'm sure that would bump your ppd nicely. You might have looked into the linux route already, but I thought I'd mention it regardless
    Hmmm. Yes am I running 2 clients on both Main and HTPC. No I hadn't explored that route before. Sounds like a bit of PITA though. I'll look into it next time I get a break from other projects Cheers.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
    Nice to see you post again sc00p, I was worried that you disappeared on us!
    No excuses... guess I've just dissappered from sc00ps for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by sc00p
    No excuses... guess I've just dissappered from sc00ps for awhile
    you are back to stay now though right?
    The Cardboard Master

I declocked my X1900XT back to 2D clocks tonight I'm catching some nasty bug that has been going around the university and I have a fever, and being chilled already plus having to have the window open and the cold draft coming in doesn't help any. So I shut up the window but it makes the room temperature get a little warmer than normal, which feels good but with 3D clocks makes the X1900 run in the low 80's. Not being comfortable with that temp staying there 24/7 I shut off ATItool to kick the card back down to 2D clocks which will keep it cooler. Side effect is lower PPD

I suppose the question is, could it be harmful to the card to run at, say, 85C 24/7 for a few days due to elevated ambient temp? I know with the stock cooler it would hit 90+ C under load when playing games and such but that is only for a few hours at a time, not days.
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hard to say, although I noticed my GT started to artifact in Oblivion & started doing it in WoW sometimes too; and it has done a few months at those kind of temperatures previously (~75-80). It's got a VF900 on there now, and loads at about 50c, but it still artifacted (until I went mental & spent a load of my pay cheque on an 8800GTS last week ) I don't know whether fah caused the artifacts to be honest - I'm just in the process of benching it again over the weekend, so maybe a voltage bump will stop the artifacts

Get well soon man & take it easy

Well I'm thinking I should save more for a watercooling setup, that would keep the temps down Problem is it is expensive, but if I save long enough I can get it.
    Did you have the GT overclocked any? Maybe between the constant heat and the overclock (especially on the rams) that caused the artifacting... Not sure though, I'm no pro when it comes to GPU overclocks, and only an average CPU overclocker
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by GAM
    Hmmm. Yes am I running 2 clients on both Main and HTPC. No I hadn't explored that route before. Sounds like a bit of PITA though. I'll look into it next time I get a break from other projects Cheers.
    Indeed it is a slight PITA, but I'm considering running a basic test to see for myself whether the PPD gain is enough to warrant the potential headaches of using VMware & linux for people unfamiliar with both, if so maybe a guide would be in order, I think >1000ppd is not out of reach for a C2D like yours even through a virtual OS. I've got some tidying up to do with my folding efforts, and I've still yet to publish some of the power usage & cost estimates I'd made on the folding boxes here; which may or may not be of interest to anyone - but once the benchmarking has eased off a bit I'll start on these tasks, and get back to tackling 400K sooner rather than later

I feel like shooting myself, I missed an ebay auction for a s754 3000+ A64 with a couple bent pins and a missing pin. I was watching it, then got reading some long thread here on XS and totally forgot about it until too late
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Cruncher
    @jimwah, a new guide would be good. They take some effort though . At the moment, I have heaps on my plate so I don't think I'll be venturing into any new unchartered territories for the moment. I've been working on my website and learning all sorts of new things with HTML,DHTML,PHP,CGI, etc etc. Brain strain at the moment.

@Sparky, bummer dude!

btw guys, I entered my front panel mod to HTPC into a local modding comp recently and won!!! I haven't posted a link yet because I am approaching my 5GB monthly bandwidth. I'll post the link next month. If you recall my website, you're welcome to have a look (I'm just avoiding a sudden influx of traffic this month).

Xtreme Cruncher
    @Sparky, iirc I mentioned 'Sparkle Day' has been redefined:
    'The day when I'm right behind you in the XS Rankings.'

...wellllll, that day is approaching, less than 2 weeks away!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwah
    I've still yet to publish some of the power usage & cost estimates I'd made on the folding boxes here; which may or may not be of interest to anyone
    You might just frighten people away from dcing by publishing those numbers

Sparkle Day: is that something we all can join to celebrate

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by sc00p
    You might just frighten people away from dcing by publishing those numbers

Sparkle Day: is that something we all can join to celebrate
    Hehe, of courrrrrrse! If I was you though Scoop, I'd be concentrating more on 'XS Day' or 'Pythaglorious Day'

I was about to mention 'Shoot'em Up Day' was nigh, but I just noticed that at your current rate, that day won't come for another 2.9years!
    LOL, but then if you defined those days the way I've defined 'Sparkle Day', 'XS Day' is next

Hmm.... what's this I see? 4.2 weeks, and I'm due to pass A. Pickles. Oh, and look at that, 1.1 months, and I'm due to pass... you, sc00p! You have that long to pick up the pace bud
    The Cardboard Master

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast