Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iwaki Pump Questions

Xtreme Member
    Id personally pick reliability over performance anyday.

unless your going for a wr/quick victory type deal where your gear is basically thrown out at the end of the day...

but that's the case here, There's usually a tradeoff between performance, size, reliability and cost.

keep that in mind what choosing your pump.

Xtreme Member
    Arrg : brick: So many different choices. I think I've made my decision, but I have two final questions.

Will a RD 30 be able to handle all these parts:1 CPU Block, 2 GPU blocks, 1 SB Block, 1 NB block, 2 RAM blocks, 2 MOSFET Blocks, 2 hard drive coolers, and 1 BI-GTX 480?

Where they hell do they sell RD30's that will ship to the states?

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul
    Will a RD 30 be able to handle all these parts:1 CPU Block, 2 GPU blocks, 1 SB Block, 1 NB block, 2 RAM blocks, 2 MOSFET Blocks, 2 hard drive coolers, and 1 BI-GTX 480?

Where they hell do they sell RD30's that will ship to the states?
    RD30 will handle anything out there on the water cooling market. But I have to say I hope you realize water cooling your ram, hard drives and SB is utterly useless. NB water cooling is borderline useless. And while you wont gain anything from cooling all that it will hurt your water temperatures which will hurt your cpu and gpu temperatures, where it actually counts. Might want to rethink that, or at least make a separate loop for that nonsense.

Thats the hard part. Try calling a distributor and various other stores that sell the other iwaki pumps and see if they can order you one. Try contacting iwaki etc etc. You might need to do some work, RD's are a rare treat
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    they should sell rd's at any local distributor. (i had found one here in canada not far from me) but for a price of course. they are expensive but they are available.

just check their site and call around you should be able to find one.

I am Xtreme
    RD-30 is very hard to find and dealing with their local distributor can be PITA. Some will not have price listing and you have to call for price. In some cases they don't stock the product and they have to call another distributor first for a return call. (3.2A). If you look at the MD (Japanese made) or WMD (American made) Iwaki pumps you will see that 3.2A is a lot current draw.

If memory serves me correctly the RD-30 is a DC pump which means you cannot use replacement cord for that. However, it does require a beefy 1Kw PSU (to run the pump and your system) or run the pump on it's own, separate PSU (not 100% sure as I did the research on this over a year ago).
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 01-12-2007 at 09:12 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle
    If memory serves me correctly the RD-30 is a DC pump which means you cannot use replacement cord for that. However, it does require a beefy 1Kw PSU (to run the pump and your system) or run the pump on it's own, separate PSU (not 100% sure as I did the research on this over a year ago).
    Why would I need to buy a 1kW power supply to run a RD30 on its own, it only draws ~ 45? Wattage Requirement Bottom of Page One

I don't know what the startup wattage is but if I'm using a 24VDC power supply just for the pump, wouldn't a 60 or 100 W PSU be enough?

I am Xtreme
    Why would I need to buy a 1kW power supply to run a RD30 on its own, it only draws ~ 45? Wattage Requirement Bottom of Page One

I don't know what the startup wattage is but if I'm using a 24VDC power supply just for the pump, wouldn't a 60 or 100 W PSU be enough?
    As I said before I am not 100% sure but from what I recall people who had this pump used a second 24V PSU.

Here is an example

As you can see the RD-30 has spliced wires at the end. So this type of PSU is used.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 01-12-2007 at 12:55 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Whoops, read your post wrong, now I see what you mean.

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    You certainly wouldn't need a high quality power supply. A transformer, bridge rectifier and a couple of caps would do. 35 bucks max. Of course if you want variable voltage to adjust the thing that would be nice.

I am Xtreme
    As you can see it's a lot of hassle to get Rd-30 up and running that's why I didn't go that route. And for its rated performance at the cost of more current draw doesn't add to cooling your system any better then D5 or other Iwaki pump for that matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    So I found a place that sells the RD 30 locally, but now I got to figure out which power supply should I run it off of. I found a cigarette lighter DC to DC variable converter. I can switch the Voltage of whatever its running to 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 22, and 24 Volts. The CARS6000
    I figure I can splice the 12V end of the converter and put them on the 12V rail of a molex connector and run it off a power supply. I'll splice off the other end and get the right connectors and hook it up to the RD30. Sure it's a little more work than one would normally put in, but I'll be able to switch the Voltage to whatever I desire. As an added bonus, I'll be able to find the best Voltage to run the pump without a lot of hassle.
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 01-12-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Xtreme Member
    in case you change your mind

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/s-150-24.shtml

these guys too have given me a good quote on a meanwell:

http://www.powergatellc.com/
    Last edited by exhausted mule; 01-12-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I looked at Meanwell PSUs, unfortunately, the only ones that can switch output voltages are the 450, 600, and 1kW PSUs. All too powerfull for just one pump.

Xtreme Member
    I looked at Meanwell PSUs, unfortunately, the only ones that can switch output voltages are the 450, 600, and 1kW PSUs. All too powerfull for just one pump.
    the majority of the single output meanwells i've looked at have an adjustable output.

not to the point that the car adapter will do but for a 24v sp150 the voltages can be adjusted from 21-28v

http://www.megarotic.com/?d=RFQO96Y9

its a matter of preferance really. i personally wouldn't trust a car adapter to provide reliable power for a reliable pump.

Xtreme Mentor
    No. Not even close to 1kw, try more like 3.2a @24v = 76.8w

No. It doesn't draw 45w, it dumps 45w in to the water when at full speed (24v)

As you can see it's a lot of hassle to get Rd-30 up and running that's why I didn't go that route. And for its rated performance at the cost of more current draw doesn't add to cooling your system any better then D5 or other Iwaki pump for that matter.
    It's really a hassle to buy a psu and plug 2 wires in.

I looked at Meanwell PSUs, unfortunately, the only ones that can switch output voltages are the 450, 600, and 1kW PSUs. All too powerful for just one pump.
    Pretty much all of them have adjustable output. There is a small screw on the back linked to a pot which lets you vary the output voltage.
    Last edited by Vapor; 01-16-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    I didn't know the Meanwell MS series Power supplies were variable. I think I'll stick with the The CARS6000 Power Converter. Main reason being it produces less heat then the Meanwell MS-150, also it can be concealed better than the PSU.

Xtreme Member
    With a car adapter or other alternative to a Meanwell, you risk electrical harm to your pump. Electrical surges, r/f, etc will not be filtered out by the car adapter. You should get that Meanwell because it's only $45.00 and it will make sure your pump is safe.

Banned
    wmd20rlt for 109.00 brand new is very tough to beat. I have had one in my system for a long time and never had an issue at all.

Xtreme Member
    The meanwell S-150-24 is what should be used with an RD30, it's what the majority of the RD20 and RD30 users have, myself included. The car adapter is a bad idea, it's not going to last, and trying to conceal it is an even worse idea. It is going to be generating heat and will need good ventilation for cooling.
    In Bailout America, bank robs YOU
    Gigabyte EX58-Extreme Bios F5h
    i7-920 @ 190x20 HT on Turbo on
    6 GB OCZ XMP Ready DDR3-1600
    300GB Velociraptor (OS)- 2x250GB WD (storage)
    EVGA 8800GTX
    Samsung 2433BW 24" LCD - X-fi Platinum
    Iwaki RD30 24v pump/Meanwell 150 power supply
    Swiftech GTZ, PA 120.3, MCW60, Enzo chipset block
    Vista Business 64bit
    PCPC Silencer 750W PSU

I am Xtreme
    AllAgainstPaul you if you want get D5 from Danger Den and use your PSU as a power source and call it a day. If you get a Iwaki pump you will probably need to go to your local hardware store and by 3 prong replacement cord<---that's the name of it. Don't use a regular extension cord and strip it. That's a NO, NO!!! Because with replacement cord you can buy the same gauge and it's color coded which leaves no confusing guess work. And, that's what its designed for... Another thing, the MDs and the HDs will not fit in your case, most are very large pumps. I had modified my case to allow for external hose to reach the pump however, the noise of the pump was getting on my nerves.

US Standard 3 prong plug
    Left prong neutral (white wire)
    Right prong hot (black wire)
    lower middle prong Ground (green wire)

UK Standard 3 prong plug
    Brown (Live / Hot)
    Blue (Neutral / Cold)
    Green / Yellow (Earth)

I believe that's right

And, you are going to need to get a Female brass hose barb 1/2".

Here is what replacement will looks like although it will vary.
    He does not have to buy a barb for an RD20-30, just heat up some water in a pan, dip the edge of hte hose in the water for about 2-4 seconds then use a little elbow grease and set the tubing on the intake. As for a PSU cord, just grab an older monitor/PC PSU power cable, cut of the female en and strop the wires, BAM you have a cable for the meanwell S-150-24 .

THat is what I did anyway, I have been meaning to post pics, just keep forgetting to.

I have a meanwell PSU, and a RD-30 (painted all black).

To my knowledge there is two choices for the highest end for water cooling to date.

RD-30 with a meanwell S-150-24 as mentioned or these:
    Petra'sTech DDCT-01 Custom Delrin DDC Pump Top (w/Barbs!) w/
    2X Laing DDC-2 (18W)/Danger Den DDC Inline 12VDC Pumps
    Last edited by phelan1777; 01-13-2007 at 07:25 PM.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777
    He does not have to buy a barb for an RD20-30, just heat up some water in a pan, dip the edge of hte hose in the water for about 2-4 seconds then use a little elbow grease and set the tubing on the intake. As for a PSU cord, just grab an older monitor/PC PSU power cable, cut of the female en and strop the wires, BAM you have a cable for the meanwell S-150-24 .

THat is what I did anyway, I have been meaning to post pics, just keep forgetting to.

I have a meanwell PSU, and a RD-30 (painted all black).

To my knowledge there is two choices for the highest end for water cooling to date.

RD-30 with a meanwell S-150-24 as mentioned or these:
    Petra'sTech DDCT-01 Custom Delrin DDC Pump Top (w/Barbs!) w/
    2X Laing DDC-2 (18W)/Danger Den DDC Inline 12VDC Pumps
    I meant to say most of the MD series of Iwaki, that's why I added the barb, my bad. That was not intended for the RD series...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    happy with my Iwaki

Xtreme Member
    I remember having aspirations to water cool every component in my case. But then I started understanding flow restriction vs. cooling effectiveness and thought better of having HD cooler, RAM cooler, or any water block that used smaller tubing than what I was using to cool my cpu & gpu in the same loop. After all, heat is the main concern with these two components (CPU & GPU). Well, not really a problem. Let's just say an important part of the equation. HD's show no performance boost when either air cooling or under water. And from what I have experienced, memory is the same way. Great air flow over both gets the job done. However, if I were to want to add these components water cooling, it would be on their own separate loop. You can have the most powerful pump just short of springing leaks and blowing gaskets, but if you have components in the loop that use 1/4" tubing (which most RAM & HD coolers do), then flow rates are going to suck and the cpu & gpu will not be cooled as well as one would hope they should. Imho, since you are building your own case, you would be better served with one of those CM Crossflow fans to shoot a constant stream of cool air over the entire surface of your motherboard encompassing the RAM, Mosfets, & chipset. An Iwaki like the one you are wanting to get and cooling the cpu and gpu(s) only would be one helluva setup. I actually added a D-4 in front of my DDC-2 w/Petras top and pick up a little more flow through my Storm Rev.2 The return to my reservor is shooting across and hitting the front side of my reservor now, whereas before it was only making it 3/4 of the way across. Not quite an Iwaki, but it will do.
    • CoolerMaster Stacker Case - Silver (STC-T01-UW)
    • DFI LanParty UT CFX3200 (BIOS 2006/07/28)
    • Opteron 185 @ 3.015GHz (1.425v's)
    • OCZ 1GB (2x512) PC3200 EL Dual Channel Platinum
    • Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    • One Seagate 250GB Barracuda 7200.9 3GB SATA
    • Two SATA WD800JD's RAID 0 Array
    • OCZ 700watt GameXStream
    • Sapphire X1900 Crossfire Master Card
    • Sapphire X1900XTX
    • PolarFloTT(Laing) D-4 (in front of a...)
    • DDC-Rev.2 w\Petras' Top
    • Storm Rev.2 & DD Maze 4's w\OCZ Ram Sinks
    • Quad 120.4 Radiator\Heater Core 10"x10"x3" w\ four 120mm Panaflos

Xtreme Member
    I see what you mean, I guess I could get another pump and single 120mm radiator to run the 3/8" and 1/4" parts. I can leave the 1/2" blocks on the Iwaki with a triple 120mm radiator

Xtreme Member
    For those Iwaki RD30 owners, I read that the RD30 runs better undervolted at 18V, how does it run compared to when it's running off of 24V?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast