Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU Cooling Setup: Comments

CPU Cooling Setup: Comments

Tj09 case (already own)

First watercooling project. CPU cooling only at this point hence the single 120.1 radiator. Yate Loon 120mm fans. I would like to keep everything inside the case and putting a larger 120.2 or .3 would require a mod. The only mod currently will be the fillport.

My main question has to do with the airflow through the radiator. I feel this case will have pretty good airflow so I will have case air moving through the radiator - open to opinions . Is this terribly bad? Should it move the other way???

CPU: E6600 - not an extreme overclocker, maybe 3 ghz. Silence is as important to me.
    Waterblock: Likely the new Apogee GT (again open to suggestions $ not a problem up to $100).
    Pump: D5 - I want a reliable pump and silent. On other forums people have recommended the AquaXtreme 50z but I haven't been able to find out much info on this.
    Reservoir: Black Ice Pro 120.1 for low flow Yate Loons.

Others: BadAxe2, EVGA 8800GTS, PCP&C 750w Silencer

Long(er) first post . I appreciate any comments. Hard to 'submit order' without a little reassurance.

EDIT: PIC UPDATED to reflect flow direction
    Last edited by bhag; 01-14-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Xtreme Member
    If your not keen on modding, drilling a hole for a fill port is not necessary. Just buy your standard brass 1/2inch plug at Home Depot or plumbing store and cap the end of the t-line. You'll need a hose clamp to secure it.
    CPU:Intel Q6600
    Mobo:Gigabyte P35-DS3R
    RAM:
    Videocard: nVidia XFX 8800 GTS 320mb
    Storage: WD 36 GB Raptor, SG 7200.10 320 GB
    Case and PSU: Antec TX1050B / NeoHE 500w
    Watercooled: D-Tek Fuzion, MCP655, MCR-220

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Does anyone see anything fundamentally wrong with this setup or have any radical suggestions? That is my main concern. I would rather know now than after ordering/installing.

I have the radiator placed in this position as I think the cooler(est) air coming from the front will be exhausted through it.

Xtreme Member
    Everything looks fine, you may want to change the radiator to a mcr or a cooltech.

Quote Originally Posted by rbd89
    you may want to change the radiator to a mcr or a cooltech.
    Please elaborate, I'm new to this . I was calculating the Black Ice Pro to have a cooling capacity of about 225w when paired with a slow (1200) rpm fan (my Yate Loons). This should certainly be enough for my cpu and heat dump from the pump eh?

What are the advantages to the radiators you suggested?

Also, I'm open to waterblock and pump recommendations (please explain why though ) as I haven't ordered yet.

Lovin' these forums already...

Xtreme Member
    Well generally the BIP rads require higher airflow (equals more noise) in order to get good performance. With the mcr or cooltec rads you can use undervolted fans and still get good performance. (Im using an mcr-220 for my cpu setup and im getting load's at 38 C with my p4 oced to 4.04Ghz). Im also using a aquaxtreme mp-05 sp le waterblock and a d5 pump and both are doing great. My setup was only about $200, so I'd say it works very well for the price.

I searched for the MCR 120mm radiator but could only find it with 3/8" barbs... I'll be using 7/16" tubing. Hmmm.

I also see quite a few people recommending the AquaXtreme block you mentioned. I have been looking at the Swiftech Storm and the new Apogee GT also. Every time I think I've made a decision, something new enters the equation.

The D5 pump actualy pumps the other way i know as i have one, and my radiator "mcr320" is
    basicaly "freelance" on the top of my lianli pc70 at the moment until i can find a decent home for it.

But as far as i can see theres nothing wrong with what you have there.
    My flow is, D5 Pump>Radiator>Apogee>MCW30>Micro Res>D5 Pump.
    Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ya, the pump pumps the other direction. And your tube won't be able to make a sharp bend like that. Oh and a BIP will only dissipate 100W of heat, not >200 with an undervolted yate loon. A stupid Delta fan only got 200W. I'm not sure if D5's come with caps on the barbs. If they do, glue the caps onto an mcr120 and poke holes through it. yay, 1/2" mod complete. Oh and a fill line will require more mods than a mcres micro. The swifty mcres micro has velcro tape that comes with it, all you have to do it tape it some where and stick it on. Best of all, its just 16 bucks.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Quote Originally Posted by serialk11r
    Ya, the pump pumps the other direction. And your tube won't be able to make a sharp bend like that. Oh and a BIP will only dissipate 100W of heat, not >200 with an undervolted yate loon.
    1) lol, ok pump direction noted ... see I'm learning already!
    2) the case is pretty wide... hard to show that on my diagram but shouldn't be a problem with sharp bends
    3) what about Yate Loon not undervolted? or am I confused? what cfm fan would be good to use?

Many have told me that a single radiator shouldn't be a problem cooling a cpu only? Any doubters? Explain away...

Xtreme Cruncher
    What CPU do you have? Thats the question. I personally thing non-undervolted Yate loons are loud as hell, so I won't be getting much CFMs out of it. I recommend putting them at 5-7V, which will yield around 25CFM of air. Actually, the air the fan pumps will only be 15CFM approx because the rad causes loss in air flow. In some 120mm rad test, with 72CFM 25mm fans the BIP got about 170W of heat dissipation. However CFM is not directly proportional to performance, its a very steep curve. With an undervolted yate loon I'd expect around (or more likely under) 100W heat dissipation. With that rad it might be around 90W. But remember, thermal efficiency doesn't work like that so don't expect good temperatures. What CPU do you have anyways?
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

E6600.

Likely not to overclock more than 3.0 ghz. I'm watercooling for silence as much as temperature.

The case does not lend itself well to fitting a 120.2 radiator. What about 2 120.1's in series? ... would mount very easily.

Would putting 2 fans on the single radiator make a difference? Push/pull.

So you're saying a single radiator would not be adequate to cool the CPU? I know Petra's sells a CPU only kit with a 120.1 Black Ice Pro rad.
    Last edited by bhag; 01-14-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    You probably need to find a way to mount a 120.2 radiator, you never know when you will want to upgrade in the future, and plus you can basically run your fans on silent with great cooling. Yeah, sorry bout that the mcr 120 has 3/8" barbs preinstalled, its the 220 and the 320 that have interchangable ones. You can always cut a hole in the top of your case and mount a 120.2 rad up there. Takes a bit of time and patience, but done correctly it looks pretty nice, and best of all means you can fit a 120.2 rad internally. Ill see if I cant find a picture and take a few shots of my setup for an example.

Well, from some of the testing on this forum the 160mm rad with a shroud to your 120mm fan and predone blow hole should equal a 120.2 rad.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ighlight=160mm

I'd see if you could fit one in your case by making a cardboard mock up of the PA160s and see if it gets in the way. The 160 would allow for future heat increase while still only useing the existing 120mm hole.

Quote Originally Posted by rbd89
    You probably need to find a way to mount a 120.2 radiator, you never know when you will want to upgrade in the future, and plus you can basically run your fans on silent with great cooling. Yeah, sorry bout that the mcr 120 has 3/8" barbs preinstalled, its the 220 and the 320 that have interchangable ones. You can always cut a hole in the top of your case and mount a 120.2 rad up there. Takes a bit of time and patience, but done correctly it looks pretty nice, and best of all means you can fit a 120.2 rad internally. Ill see if I cant find a picture and take a few shots of my setup for an example.
    Yeah pics would be nice. If you take a look at this case -TJ09 - the top fans are separated by a 1 inch or so beam (they're not touching). Mounting a 120.2 up there has been the discussion over at [H] and it would require modding that may end up looking not so good. I haven't seen any pictures though.

I think I've decided to mount two radiators in series and undervolt my fans a bit.

Also undecided about a res vs t-line.

Xtreme Member
    The BIP/yateloon fan is fine for single cpu and the D5 pump pumps out the top.

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Can you get a measurement of this gap precisely in millimeters, from center of screw hole to center of screwhole...? If it's 25mm, then PA120.2 should fit with no modding...

If it's slightly over, suspend a dual rad from one of the fans. Mount the other fan to the case, and just hang the rad from one of the two fans. It should still work fine. As long as it's no more than 35mm between the screwholes of the sidebyside fans, otherwise the 2nd fan will hang past the edge of the radiator core thus losing you a chunk of airflow.

Here is a better view of the top. Not my case, found this pic. You can see the bar more clearly here.

I'm at work right now but can get the exact measurements later tonight when I get home. I have a feeling your latter statement may be true... that is the bar will end up obstructing flow.

Two single 120.1 radiators will fit perfectly and I understand there will be a slight increase in resistance (and more tubing). Again my main goals are good cpu cooling and as much silence as I can get.
    Last edited by bhag; 01-16-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Link doesn't load here...

Should work now.

Hmmm, they look too far apart to be useful to me...

Exactly. That's why I'll probably go with two 120.1 in series.

What about this? Using a 120.2

I could probably get those "L" brackets to hold the radiator. Would need to find the right sizes. What is the weight of a 120.2?

Hey... modding without cutting.

The one problem I see is that I will lose a little surface area where that middle bar is. The other option is to align it where one fan will be perfectly aligned and the other only partly aligned. I kind of like it better as the picture shows it.

Remember I'm only cooling a CPU (E6600 maybe overclocked to 3 ghz).

Better than two separate radiators? Less tubing but not sure about efficiency.

Also with this I could get a better quality radiator like the Swiftech MCR-220 vs two Black Ice Pro 120.1

1.2kgs for a 120.2 iirc. L-brackets should work fine. If can suspend it slightly below the two fans, with say a 1" gap, then fabricate a cardboard shroud to duct both fans onto the rad then you won't loose any performance.

See that bracket at top corner of mobo tray - the brace over to the back panel...

Rest and screw one end of rad to that. L-piece at other end of rad, also onto mobo tray... then cardboard shroud to duct across the remaining gap to the fans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast