Thread: Options? 8800GTX SLI & need 2 PCI slots

Options? 8800GTX SLI & need 2 PCI slots

Hello!

I recently purchased the 8800GTX EK waterblocks and 1 additional 8800GTX to go to SLI mode. I also have the EVGA 680i Motherboard. This MB along with the Asus ones only have 2 PCI slots. The 2nd Graphics PCI-Express slot for the SLI mode is located 2nd from the left....1st from the left is another PCI slot. What options do I have available to be able to utilize all 2 PCI slots?

I need support for both my Soundblaster X-Fi card and the Killer NIC card.

I was thinking of 2 options...

1. Use a dremel to cut a bit of the slot holder where the exhaust port is located...just big enough for the Killer NIC's ethernet port. See crude example in option1.jpg. Would it be possible to insert 2 slot holders in 1 slot?...that's the question.

2. Somehow purchase a single slot holder like the BFG WC 8800GTX and replace my current 2 slot holder from EVGA.

Please provide your advice. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	54581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	option1.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	54582  

Xtreme Guru
    mmm the only thing that i can think of is to use a riser card. you should be able to find one from here if my memory serves me right http://rackmountmart.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

The DFI 680i was supposed to provide an extra PCI slot. Apparently, it hasn't been released. You can take a simple case PCI slot cover and make the appropriate cutouts for the DVI connectors. Or you can cannibalize some older video card. Wish they made this easier.

Xtreme Member
    If you are sure that option 1 has enough room, then I would suggest going doing that. Make sure when you dremel that you clean up thoroughly as to not get metal crossing a lead on your card.

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

I would go with option 1 as well

My New Rig My OLD Rig
    Case: Mountain Mods - U2-UFO Horizon Black Powder Coat - Original Top
    Power Supply: Enermax Galaxy Gaming Edition 1000W Power Supply EGA1000EWL-DXX
    Motherboard: EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz
    Ram: Dominator 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    CD / DVD burner: Plextor PX-755SA internal Serial ATA
    Hard Drives: SeaGate HD 250Gig 7K 8M SATA2 ST3250824AS / SeaGate HD 500Gig 7K 16M SATA2 ST3500630AS
    Water Cooling: Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra CPU Liquid Cooling Kit / EK NF4 On the SB / DD-680i Chipset Block / 2 - Danger Den Delrin Fillport / DD-D5 Pump / 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer / PA120.3 with shroud
    Fan Controller: Sunbeam 5.25" Chromatic Windmill Full Function Fan Controller – Black
    Fans: 2-120MM Aerocool XtremeTurbine – Silver / 2-Thermaltake A2018 120mm Blue LED / 4-SCYTHE S-FLEX™ 120mm
    Misc: 4” Cathode Tube UV / 5-12” Cathode Tube UV

Xtreme Member
    I would like to know how it turns out, I plan to do something akin to that when I get my ASUS Striker

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Just buy two of these then you can put your card back to normal when you wish to sell on, thats what I have done as I need 3 PCI slots, fortunately for me Nvidia retained the same bracket since the 6800s I had so little investment has run through a few carsd.

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product...roducts_id=207

Not sure the Ek block leave enough clearance for some pci cards due to the large screws, I dropped a few mails to Eddy about them for my 7800s and he thought they might touch the cards be interested to know if they do or not as dimensions of 8800 block seem similar.
    Last edited by sandys; 01-08-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ditch the killer NIC :P
    Rig:
    Pentium D 805 3.8 GHz and counting, w/Big Typhoon (hopefully E6600 at christmas)
    eVga 7900GT KO Reload, 508/1525 stock volts
    MOBO SWITCH! P5B deluxe
    2 GB Patriot ddr2-667 4-4-4-12
    Antec NeoHE 550
    250GB Seagate 7200.10
    Thermaltake Soprano w/2xAspire 120mm and 1xThermaltake 90mm
    Dell 19'' LCD monitor
    Heat

Thanks for everyone's advice/recommendations. I checked last night whether 2 pci slot holders can fit together...Nope...so Option #1 is dead. Sandy provided the solution to Option #2 ( http://www.koolance.com/shop/product...roducts_id=207 )...so I will go with that. By the way, doing a rough measurement of the EK block and its screws would allow me to use that PCI slot. The screws are not that large...they are similar to what's already on the stock.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by [TAG]Imp
    ditch the killer NIC :P
    The Killer NIC takes 15-22 ms off my ping on west coast Battlefield 2142 servers. I love it!

Xtreme Cruncher
    lmao, you actually paid 200 for a killernic. *starts to flame*,

you could get a riser.

Quote Originally Posted by sandys
    Just buy two of these then you can put your card back to normal when you wish to sell on, thats what I have done as I need 3 PCI slots, fortunately for me Nvidia retained the same bracket since the 6800s I had so little investment has run through a few carsd.

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product...roducts_id=207

Not sure the Ek block leave enough clearance for some pci cards due to the large screws, I dropped a few mails to Eddy about them for my 7800s and he thought they might touch the cards be interested to know if they do or not as dimensions of 8800 block seem similar.

Thanks a million times over for the link to those brackets. They are such a major convenience! I wish other companies were this thoughtful.