Thread: Scythe Infinity: Dual Fan vs. Single Fan

Xtreme Member

Scythe Infinity: Dual Fan vs. Single Fan

scythe infinity: single fan vs. dual fan
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

the main cooling goal

the main goal is twofold:

1. fairly big 24/7 overclock on a E6400 with the lowest sound possible.
    2. when very cold room ambients are available (depending on weather) i want max heat dissipation without any regard for sound, simply for the purposes of benchmarking and maybe melting a component or two.

keep that in mind when reading on ... because for benching sake and when running both silverstone's at max RPM's ... schwew! ... things get pretty loud.

fan's used
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

2 x 110CFM Silverstone FM121's

These fan's will be mounted on either end of the scythe infinity cooler in a push/pull configuration. i'll be measuring idle and load temps at the fan's max concurrent speed of 2400RPM's as well as readings at a lower setting of 1200RPM's or so.

zip ties (necessary evils)

since scythe only shipped me one set of mounting wires for a single fan, so i had to improvise and use zip ties. furthermore, since my zip ties wouldn't fit all the way around the cooler, i had to hook two together by inserting the male end of one into the female end of a second, thereby forming one *really* long zip tie.

the dual fan mount via this method is quite solid and secure and it's unlikely that the strap's infront of each fan are hindering the air flow in anyway.

also, i mounted the push-fan a bit lower than the pull-fan because it would more directly hit the NB and NB-heat pipe in that configuration; i lost like a degree or so on the CPU temps, but because the NB was heating up quite a bit, i thought it would be a decent compromise:

up and running / test data

after finishing mounting the dual fans, i turned the computer on and began the series of tests:

*** all tests conducted at room ambient of 22C (+/- .05C) ***
    *** all tests run on E6400 at 3.6ghz ***

first i tested the dual fans at 2400RPM's, then at 1200RPM's; between each test, the system was powered down for thirty minutes with the case door open.

idle temps ... obtained after 20 minutes system inactivity.
    load temps ... obtained after 30 minutes orthos (in-place large FFT's)

and after completing a full suite of tests for both max and low RPM dual and single fan speeds, here's what i found:

SINGLE fan at 2400RPM's (max):
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    idle: 38C
    load: 54C

DUAL fan at 2400RPM's (max):
    idle: 36C
    load: 52C

SINGLE fan at 1200RPM's:
    idle: 39C
    load: 55C

DUAL fan at 1200RPM's:
    load: 53C

Final Thoughts...

across the board, at whatever speed, the two fan's in a push pull set up reduced cpu temps by around 2 degrees on average.

the main thing to note, however, is that the two fan's running at a low RPM setting, still outperformed the single fan at it's max RPM setting; and the two fan's running at 1200RPM were significantly, even extremely more quiet than the single fan running at max RPM's. both fan's running at 1200RPM's were near imperceptible to the ear ... i had to kill the rest of my case fan's to hear them.

so all and all, i'm happy with the results; now i'm running even cooler and i can't even hear the heat sink fans.

another thing i'm interested in seeing is just how much heat this dual fan set up can dissipate once i can access room ambients appropriate for 4.1ghz+ benchmarking. keep in mind that all temps were obtained with a moderately low room ambient of 22 degrees and since air benchmark's are *totally* dependant on very low room ambients ... it will be interesting to see just how much of a difference 12 degree celsius ambients will make when trying to run benchmarks at 100% overclocks or higher.

hope this info is helpful.

happy new year!
    Last edited by s1rrah; 03-06-2007 at 08:48 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2700K @ 5.0ghz / SLI GTX 670's / 16GB Mushkin / H100

Memory Addict
    about right from my tests too with 955XE heater = 1-2C diff http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?p=50530#post50530
    ---

Xtreme Addict
    leojharris, good tests! did you try to place 80mm fans in other way?
    smthg like this:

Sorry for my bad English

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L'enFer
    leojharris, good tests! did you try to place 80mm fans in other way?
    smthg like this:
    haven't considered 80mm fans as the infinity seems best suited to 120mm fans.

thanks for the word.

(if you try it with the smaller fans in your referenced configuration ... please post some results/data ...)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    about right from my tests too with 955XE heater = 1-2C diff http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?p=50530#post50530
    yep ... i saw a 2C drop across the board when using dual fans ... either at high or low speed.

i've mentioned in other forums that i think this is due to the density of the infinity's fin assembly; it's just hard to get air through it.

adding a second fan promotes more regular air flow across that dense fin assembly ... thereby dropping the temps by 2+ degrees.

thanks for the word.

Xtreme Addict
    leojharris, i thought you had used 80mm fans that's why i said "80mm fans". i just wanted to know if an other placement of fans can change cpu temps...
    Quote Originally Posted by leojharris
    (if you try it with the smaller fans in your referenced configuration ... please post some results/data ...)
    if i could... i will be able to test my Infinity in the end of the month and not sooner.

Sorry for my bad English

Thanks for the results Leo!!!

I remember seeing this mod done w/zippies that won't dry out, break and need replacing.

Quote:

DUAL fan at 2400RPM's (max):
    load: 52C

DUAL fan at 1200RPM's:
    load: 53C
    Final Thoughts...
    across the board, at whatever speed, the two fan's in a push pull set up reduced cpu temps by around 2 degrees on average. the main thing to note, however, is that the two fan's running at a low RPM setting, still outperformed the single fan at it's max RPM setting...

end quote.

How do these Infinity mod numbers compare to the Tuniq Tower? Is there a way to push+pull dual fans on the Tuniq? Are there any testing results?

EDIT: found answer: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=126373
    Last edited by H0RM0NE; 01-15-2007 at 09:19 AM.
    *** H0RM0NE ***
    "Fight's on; Fight's on."

Current Build:
    * Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS Rev A2 BIOS 0602
    * E6400 L629B642
    * Crucial Ballistix 2GB PC2-8000 CL5
    * Corsair HX620W
    * XFX GeForce 7900GS XS 256MB GDDR3
    * 2 x Seagate Cudas 400GB SATAII RAID 0
    * Creative SB X-Fi Platinum 7.1
    * Onboard Nic/Lan
    * Scythe Infinity P/p & TT CL-C0034
    * Antec P180B
    * NEC Multisync FE2111sb

Xtreme Member
    going to try that but i don't think it will improve my current temps. i have 3608Mhz @ 1.45V E6400 with 6 hours Orthos 52-53C

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck^! View Post
    going to try that but i don't think it will improve my current temps. i have 3608Mhz @ 1.45V E6400 with 6 hours Orthos 52-53C
    Depending on your case air flow and all ...

I'd have to say it *will* affect your temps ... try it and post some results.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
    Depending on your case air flow and all ...

I'd have to say it *will* affect your temps ... try it and post some results.

well i had to tie about of 8 small zip ties ;F , because i run out of the long ones, had to think something ... original cooler was fastened with the metal rail and the pulling cooler was fastened with zip ties but it's blades where clashing against the metal fins of the Scythe , well the temperature dropped by some 1 or 2 C ;] @ load , i think i will not use that cfg i'll stick to single fan. Anyway for each one of you different think will work ... well different