Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: How to volt mod IC7 Vmem

Xtreme Member
    I did the mod last week by soldering a 1kOhm VR in place of the 0 Ohm resistor. So far I have the VR cranked almost all the way and am running at 3.22v on my dimms which is exactly what my 3.3v rail is reading on my psu so its at the max until i get an adjustable psu or one with higher default rails. As far as stability goes at this voltage, the lines fluctuates only slightly and never gets down lower than 3.18, again, this may correspond to weakness and fluctuation in my 3.3v rail. My board is only about a week old so its possible that abit may have changed something in the voltage regulation circuitry that has cut down on the fluctuations OPP and others have mentioned at high vdimms.

unfortunately, this has not helped my overclock at all. I think this board is screwy if you aren't running 1:1, or if you're not dual channel. I have 1 512MB stick of OCZ EL-3700 (yes I know this stick doesn't like anything over 2.9v) that has hit DDR 480 2-6-3-2 on my it-7max 2 v.2 and I have also tested some other 256MB modules rated for DDR 400. None of them will post at the 4:5 or 3:4 ratio, regardless of voltage or timings (unless I underclock my cpu to 100mhz fsb and use the 4:5 ratio...ugh). They will also not post if i use any of the new "game accelerator" options, even the most lax ones. I remember reading another thread about an overclocking "hole" in one of the canterwood boards when using 533mhz chips, maybe this is the similar. I'd appreciate some feedback on this. If its a common problem than I'll hold on to this until i grab a new cpu and go dual channel. If not, then I need to rma.
    I have a computer.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey JC have you tried this on the board you Fuxored up yet?? Hopefully my screw up might of fixed yours

Dont even ask where i've been!!!

Xtreme Member
    What I wanna know is, can I do the mod without having to mess with that resistor and just use grabbers? Or is that resistor thing a must.

You gotta remove the resistor it is a 0 ohm. Its like a real tuff place to get to. These guys are extreme here, I followed a thread where there modding the Prom cooler so it can get COLDER

But from what I've seen this is the place to get help from the extreme PRO'S.

First post by the way you all are truly extreme. Good work, and I'm lovin every mimute of it..

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    WELCOME to the Xtreme Systems forums HWF........
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    HWF Glad to see you here !

Its a disease, a sickness of the mind and body !
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

I already finished the volt mod in my IC7-G and the it´s works .... this is my last 3dmark, I need to change the stock cooling of the 9800 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6622046

Kin Hell

Help pls

k lads, I need a tad of help here as to exactly which type of VR to use. I have 2 x 1K VR's marked thus:

1) LIN A 1K
    2) @1L B 1 K

Both pots have 3 legs

Is either of these the right 1K pot to use?

Many ta's in advance.....Cheers!

Kin Hell

David302

Originally posted by David302
    I already finished the volt mod in my IC7-G and the it´s works .... this is my last 3dmark, I need to change the stock cooling of the 9800 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6622046
    Looking at ure 3DMark, can yo explain how you got a 21000+ 3Dmark score when ure FSB is showing at 7?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Top Banana Dude!
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 06-17-2003 at 04:27 AM.

I don´t know whats happen the FSB is on 262 and on this PCmark http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1348829 is different with 10 mhz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok i did the mod on my ic7-g too andi hope i did it right since its my first time desoldering anything. I went to my local Radio shack and got a new solder tip, 10k pot, and a pack of 330 phm resistors ( 1/2 watt, 5% tolerance). Can u guys tell me if i did it right. There are no traces between the contact pads.

E6600 SL9S8 Malay
    ASUS P5W64( no mods )
    Mushkin (2 x 1GB) XP2-6400
    ATI x850xt
    2 x 150GB WD Raptor RAID
    Thermalright Ultra-120
    SilverStone ST56ZF 560W

Originally posted by NyCUndaGrounD
    Ok i did the mod on my ic7-g too andi hope i did it right since its my first time desoldering anything. I went to my local Radio shack and got a new solder tip, 10k pot, and a pack of 330 phm resistors ( 1/2 watt, 5% tolerance). Can u guys tell me if i did it right. There are no traces between the contact pads.

Damn that looks a neat and tidy mod !! :thumbsup:
    He who asks is a fool for 15 minutes, he who does'nt remains a fool forever.

NYC, nice job.

HWF, Welcome to Xtremesystems!
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Kin Hell

I don't think it matters which 1k ohm pot you use.(Think is the operative here) Some pots have a built in turn ratio say 5 of 10 turns = 1 full turn and are easier to adjust.

Just remember a the higher the resistance set on the pot the higher the voltage. OK nuffsaid.

Thanks for the beers and the warm welcome. I may need to sleep it off.

Kin Hell
    Originally posted by HWF
    Kin Hell

I don't think it matters which 1k ohm pot you use.(Think is the operative here) Some pots have a built in turn ratio say 5 of 10 turns = 1 full turn and are easier to adjust.

Just remember a the higher the resistance set on the pot the higher the voltage. OK nuffsaid.
    Thanks m8y......the only reason I ask is I have had my 0 Ohm Resistor off the board twice and on both occasions, the board would NOT fire up
    I just had this real bad feelng that attempt #3 might totally f**k those pads beyond repair, but then I saw that Leg 4 & a ground Leg to a Mosfet would do the job too.
    Adding to this, my basic Electronic studies many moons ago, led me to believe that Type A VR's were Logritmic & Type B VR's were Linear. Having said that, I could not tell how this would effect the Resistance & to further confuse my predicament, I have a 47K pot I used on my now ex-TH7II-RAID MoBo which is marked "Log B".
    Some geezer at Maplin Eletronics confirmed that "Type B" is Linear & "Type A" is Logrithmic
    Is there any real need for Type A & Type B if they do the same Job!?
    I suppose it's just a case of wanting to do the best job possible without damaging my hardware, but sit here still feeling a tad confused. Perhaps the 2 attempts with failure are clouding the Horizon a bit, but, tbh, I'm sat here with a working PC and consider myself lucky it still functions fine.

*edit*
    I still need to do this mod tho' & btw, enjoy the beer!
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 06-18-2003 at 12:03 AM.

Originally posted by Kin Hell
    Thanks m8y......the only reason I ask is I have had my 0 Ohm Resistor off the board twice and on both occasions, the board would NOT fire up
    I just had this real bad feelng that attempt #3 might totally f**k those pads beyond repair, but then I saw that Leg 4 & a ground Leg to a Mosfet would do the job too.
    Adding to this, my basic Electronic studies many moons ago, led me to believe that Type A VR's were Logritmic & Type B VR's were Linear. Having said that, I could not tell how this would effect the Resistance & to further confuse my predicament, I have a 47K pot I used on my now ex-TH7II-RAID MoBo which is marked "Log B".
    Some geezer at Maplin Eletronics confirmed that "Type B" is Linear & "Type A" is Logrithmic
    Is there any real need for Type A & Type B if they do the same Job!?
    I suppose it's just a case of wanting to do the best job possible without damaging my hardware, but sit here still feeling a tad confused. Perhaps the 2 attempts with failure are clouding the Horizon a bit, but, tbh, I'm sat here with a working PC and consider myself lucky it still functions fine.

*edit*
    I still need to do this mod tho' & btw, enjoy the beer!
    Hi Kin Hell,

LOL at your handle !!

Are your pots of the Ceremet flavour?

AFAIK Maplin (when they can be bothered to stock them) only either do 18 or 22 turn 1K ceremet pots.....either one of these will do the job, I used a 22 turn one for finer adjustment.

You mention your board would'nt fire up twice after you removed the R50 from the board ? If on either occasions you did'nt have anything in there to replace R50 then I think it may just be down to there being a break in that circuit.

Good luck on your mod.

Cheers.

Kin Hell
    Originally posted by Pita^Norf
    Hi Kin Hell,

LOL at your handle !!

Are your pots of the Ceremet flavour?

AFAIK Maplin (when they can be bothered to stock them) only either do 18 or 22 turn 1K ceremet pots.....either one of these will do the job, I used a 22 turn one for finer adjustment.

You mention your board would'nt fire up twice after you removed the R50 from the board ? If on either occasions you did'nt have anything in there to replace R50 then I think it may just be down to there being a break in that circuit.

Good luck on your mod.

Cheers.
    yeah m8....I have had quite a few comments about my Handle. 99.9% of them have been like your comment, but Believe it or Not, I got banned from OCUK forums for using "Kin Hell". Innapropiate name apparently..muppets ffs!
    Needless to say, I did retort in the appropiate manner! ...and only post there if I'm desperate, which isn't too often thank god! I compromised and re-signed as "Kin"
    Going back to the plot tho', on the two occasions I had the R50 Resistor off the mobo, I had tried 2 flavours of VR, so no, it wasn't an open circuit. I'll do a pic or two at next post to visually help any replies that may may be forthcoming. Cheers for now.

Kin Hell

Which VR ?

Okay folks, here is a Pic of the VR's I got.

Fuji602 FinePix snapped @ 3MegaPixels 2048 x 1536 Chopped to 1024 x 768 for bandwidths sake
    The Left one is one I have just recieved, & not yet tried.
    The middle one being the first one I tried & left the board dead.
    The one wired up is 10K..I tried it set @ 250 but that left me with a dead board too! (more sensitive adjustment)

Its gotten to the point my 000 resistor has no markings left on it & whilst the pads have only seen a 15Watt flash iron, I am concerned at stuffing the pads.

Can anyone confirm which one (if any) is best suited here!

As per usual, Beers all round in advance!

Cheers

Re: Which VR ?

Okay folks, here is a Pic of the VR's I got.

The Left one is one I have just recieved, & not yet tried.
    The middle one being the first one I tried & left the board dead.
    The one wired up is 10K..I tried it set @ 250 but that left me with a dead board too! (more sensitive adjustment)

Its gotten to the point my 000 resistor has no markings left on it & whilst the pads have only seen a 15Watt flash iron, I am concerned at stuffing the pads.

Can anyone confirm which one (if any) is best suited here!

As per usual, Beers all round in advance!

Cheers
    Kin Hell,

I would have thought that all those would have worked if they were of right order power rating.

But I recommend the following if you can get to maplin.

Maplin

and type in 22-Turn Cermet or 18-Turn Cermet in the search box and they should show up.

HTH

Kin Hell

Re: Re: Which VR ?

and type in 22-Turn Cermet or 18-Turn Cermet in the search box and they should show up.

HTH [/B]
    I guess 22 turns giving me a finer control...yes?

Re: Re: Re: Which VR ?

I guess 22 turns giving me a finer control...yes?
    Yes m8ty :thumbsup:

Kin Hell

Pita^Norf

Thanks m8y...just placed the order.
    Will come back to you sometime next week when I can get at it.

Thanks ever so much Pita^Norf.

L8rz!

I'm curious.. I've been VERY frustrated with my IC7-G. I suspect I have a good 2.6c capable of 4ghz+ easy.. but I'm having problems stabalizing the mobo above 300fsb.

just tonight while playing with bios settings I noticed if i drop my agp voltage to 1.5v vs. the 1.65v i normally use the board is horribly unstable even at 295fsb.. an increase in agp voltage allows a slightly higher fsb stable.. hrm are the agp and chipset supply voltages driven by the same regulators or are they somehow linked? in any case I'd like to try a VDD or AGP vmod on this board.. I've already done the mem vmod so 2.8v in bios = 3.05v

forgot to mention I'm runnin a custom phase change setup.. -4c on the core under max load 3.95ghz 1.7v core.. just so you guys don't think I'm sayin I'm approaching 4ghz on air :p
    Last edited by Amperage; 06-21-2003 at 12:05 AM.

I think I could follow the directions for the vtt mod, but some pics would sure make it a little easier and safer.

If possible could someone post some pics of the mod?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast