Thread: Buying New WC Setup. Advice Wanted

Xtreme Member

Buying New WC Setup. Advice Wanted

On the 28 of December my computer crapped out and now I'm looking to replace my entire computer. I expected this day to be coming so I have set aside enough money to get a top notch system. I've lurked around reading up on whats new and have raised a few questions to myself.

1. Should I buy a Socket 775 X6800 or wait to see if Vista has better support for AMD's FX Quad Core CPUs?

2. Should I buy two 8800GTX or wait to see what NVidia does when ATI launches their new card?

3. Has any manufacturer produces a 120mm fan that puts out more than 150CFM?

4. Is the Swiftech Storm is still the highest quality CPU block around?

5. What is the maximum pressure (in psi) that a normal 1/8" thick hose can withstand?

6. Would it be feasibly possible (with a big enough pump) to have a single loop that includes a BI-GTX480, CPU, 2 Video Cards, Chipset, Mosfet, and 2 RAM Waterblocks?

7. Can you have a loop that has a 1/2" ID to 1/4" ID connector on it?

Any advice on these matters would be appreciated.

Edit:

8. For #6, how powerful of a pump would be needed to adequately work?

9. Would a normal tubing and worm screw hose clamps be able to withstand pressures of >30psi?
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 01-06-2007 at 12:25 AM.

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul
    On the 28 of December my computer crapped out and now I'm looking to replace my entire computer. I expected this day to be coming so I have set aside enough money to get a top notch system. I've lurked around reading up on whats new and have raised a few questions to myself.

1. Should I buy a Socket 775 X6800 or wait to see if Vista has better support for AMD's FX Quad Core CPUs?

2. Should I buy two 8800GTX or wait to see what NVidia does when ATI launches their new card?

3. Has any manufacturer produces a 120mm fan that puts out more than 150CFM?

4. Is the Swiftech Storm is still the highest quality CPU block around?

5. What is the maximum pressure (in psi) that a normal 1/8" thick hose can withstand?

6. Would it be feasibly possible (with a big enough pump) to have a single loop that includes a BI-GTX480, CPU, 2 Video Cards, Chipset, Mosfet, and 2 RAM Waterblocks?

7. Can you have a loop that has a 1/2" ID to 1/4" ID connector on it?

Any advice on these matters would be appreciated.
    1. If you want a quad now then intels offering is good and its available.
    2. You can play the waiting game forever.
    3. Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan (EHE) - 190cfm
    4. For single/dual core yes - for quads, no.
    5. no idea
    6. Yup though the more you add the more restriction there will be and more heatdump which equals less performance.
    7. Yup.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the quick response!

What is the best CPU WB for quad cores?

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    5. I highly suspect the joints will break before you burst open the pipe
    Chilled PC UK - Watercooling Parts, Any Custom work undertaken including Laser Cutting (any parts, grills, side panels, brackets etc), Anodising, Powdercoating , Custom Spraying and Airbrushing, Fabrication, Watercooling Installs and more all done to the highest standard.

International shipping no problem, even on Cases!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul
    Thanks for the quick response!

What is the best CPU WB for quad cores?
    ATM, the Swiftech Apogee, however I would wait a few more days, Swiftech will be releasing two updated versions of it.
    x6.wickeD

Any idea if the new apogee version/s will be universal fitting like the current one?
    I might hold off purchasing one in the next couple of days if thats the case
    Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)