Thread: P5B Deluxe - IDE CDRom Problem

P5B Deluxe - IDE CDRom Problem

I read the last thread that concerned this but the solution to his problem was a dead HDD. This is not going to be the case for this problem. Also before I begin the problem I would like to mention I did use the search function and I did use google. I also went to the Asus website and filled out a support ticket.

Anywho, here goes.

Specs:

Asus P5B Deluxe Bios Revision 0804
    C2D E6400
    Geforce 8800GTS
    2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix
    2 SATA HDD Drives
    2 IDE CD Rom Drives

The system POST's fine and when it gets to detecting drivers it pauses a moment and then continues to say to insert a bootable media etc...

I tried initally with both CDRom Drives on the IDE Cable 1 Master 1 Slave. And it wouldnt detect. I tried with only 1 Drive set to Master and it wouldnt detect. I also tried switching to Cable Select it wouldnt detect either.

I went into the BIOS and saw I initally had 0604 and decided to update ti and see if that helped anything. I did to 0804 and it didnt help to detect the drives.

Under the Main -> IDE Configuration -> SATA Config: (I tried Enhanced and Compatible)

Hard Disk Write Protect: Disabled
    IDE Detect Time out: 35 Sec
    JMicron SATA / PATA: Enabled (Of course)
    JMicron Controller Mode: IDE

JMicron Version: v1.06.22

I am stumped, was wondering if anybody could shed some light. Thanks in advance. Id be happy to clarify or add more information that may be needed to solve this problem.

i've post a driver for Jmicron that resolves this issue, it gives you the choice on an ide or raid installation
    http://www.ulimit.com/tb.php?host=ww...on-drivers.com

dl version 1.17.08.01
    Asus P5B Deluxe -0804- E6300@ 3,300 (475x7) 1,35Vcore,Gskill 6400 HZ 4-4-4-12@950-2,10v, HIS 1950XTX,OCZ PowerXstream 700W

Quote Originally Posted by Baroudan
    i've post a driver for Jmicron that resolves this issue, it gives you the choice on an ide or raid installation
    http://www.ulimit.com/tb.php?host=ww...on-drivers.com

dl version 1.17.08.01
    Is this an update when I am in Windows? Currently I cannot boot the installation CD.

How do I update the JMicron Driver version?

in bios, sata configuration : enhanced
    configure sata as ide
    what dd do you have?
    Asus P5B Deluxe -0804- E6300@ 3,300 (475x7) 1,35Vcore,Gskill 6400 HZ 4-4-4-12@950-2,10v, HIS 1950XTX,OCZ PowerXstream 700W

Quote Originally Posted by Baroudan
    in bios, sata configuration : enhanced
    configure sata as ide
    what dd do you have?
    I have 2 CD Rom Drives and neither are working atm.

1. SONY DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Unit: DRU-700A

2. AOpen DVD-1640 PRO-A

EDIT:

Just cleared out the CMOS completely. (Powered down, removed battery and plug, moved jumper 1 min).

No Effect.

I also switched IDE Cables to one that was working for sure on the last set-up I had, no effect either.

Also When JMicron is "Detecting Drives, Please Wait... |" it pauses and says that no drives are found. Is this fr RAID or is it trying to find my IDE CDRom Drives?
    Last edited by SeeKnaY; 01-03-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Xtreme Member
    well, I was going to offer you clearing cmos - which in the first place fixed my problem (my optical drive detected).

1) Now, first disconnect ur sata drives.

2) Put your optical drive's jumper to cs (cable select)

3) Clear your cmos again - in case (as you did before: unplug, remove battery, change jumper, put jumper back, put battery back, plug it)

4) Press delete while booting up.

5) in the bios, under on board settings make sure that 'jmicron' is enabled and set to 'ide'

6) save and reboot - it should detect...

Hopefully

After it detects, for your sata drives:

1) if you would like to use them as your master drive, connect them to pink slots. Otherwise put your optical drive's jumper to 'master' and connect your sata drives to black ones.

2) if i were you i would try with only 1 sata drive and the optical drive initially (given that you solved the ide problem)

Hope it helps...
    Last edited by ooztuncer; 01-03-2007 at 11:38 AM.

ASUS Phone Support thinks I need to return the board and that my controller might be bad, but first I should try it oustside of the case.

I am going to try it outside the case and pray that it works

Edit: I am going to try what the last post suggested first.

Quote Originally Posted by ooztuncer
    well, I was going to offer you clearing cmos - which in the first place fixed my problem (my optical drive detected).

1) Now, first disconnect ur sata drives.

2) Put your optical drive's jumper to cs (cable select)

3) Clear your cmos again - in case (as you did before: unplug, remove battery, change jumper, put jumper back, put battery back, plug it)

4) Press delete while booting up.

5) in the bios, under on board settings make sure that 'jmicron' is enabled and set to 'ide'

6) save and reboot - it should detect...

Hopefully

After it detects, for your sata drives:

1) if you would like to use them as your master drive, connect them to pink slots. Otherwise put your optical drive's jumper to 'master' and connect your sata drives to black ones.

2) if i were you i would try with only 1 sata drive and the optical drive initially (given that you solved the ide problem)

Hope it helps...
    They didn't detect and I followed those directions exactly. Time to try the board on a piece of cardboard.

It works outside the case? O.o It works outside of the case. Or maybe because I had the power off and did the last post but im not sure.... lol what now? I need rubber washers or something? I have a Lian Li PC-70 with the aluminum stand of things.
    Last edited by SeeKnaY; 01-03-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Xtreme Member
    glad it helped...

Ur next step before putting inside the case should be trying ur sata drives one by one. Do not forget to connect them to pink slots if you wanna use them as masters.

If you would like to create a raid, then put your asus cd rom and create a raid disk (which will be used later while installing xp - hit f6)....

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ooztuncer
    glad it helped...

Ur next step before putting inside the case should be trying ur sata drives one by one. Do not forget to connect them to pink slots if you wanna use them as masters.

If you would like to create a raid, then put your asus cd rom and create a raid disk (which will be used later while installing xp - hit f6)....

cheers
    I put it in the case and I added some washers to the screws that I had around. I put everything in the case in a very orginized fashion, and plugged everything in. It works!

Thank you for the help! To be honest im not sure which did the trick but I am going to thank everyone for helping me out! Overclocking Time!!!