Thread: Help Needed, What to expect form 1/2 HP?

Xtreme Member

Help Needed, What to expect form 1/2 HP?

Hello guys. I have been granted permission to run my water through the wall that my office shares with a guest room, so cooling fan noise is not as much of an issue and this opens up the possibilities of implementing a form of phase change with the louder compressors and such that come with pahse change (I have an understanding wife that shares this office too, heh heh).

I am hoping that someone here has familiarity with both peltiers and phase change and might be able to help me make some decisions.

First, a friend alerted me to what looks like an AWESOME deal here: $50.00 ea for a smallish 1/2HP compressor/exchange assby, new.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...m=1-1302&catna

Now, what to do with these?

Currently I have a hot loop which consists of a Techcool with a 300GPH pump, to which I added (in series) two large 10.5 x 6.5 x 2 heater cores in series (enclosed in a shrouded fanbox running 240CFM by each which is found in the aforementioned guest room).

This “Hot” loop is split in two after the last radiator, with equal flow then going to two blocks sandwiching a third block (cold) in the center. They recombine after the blocks and return to the Techcool. On the mayo side I added an 80 and a 170W pelt, and put a 224W on the mustard side, all chilling the inner block.

The cold loop runs through that center block (Via my Iwiki mag pump, 500GPH+), and just before entering the computer is split by custom manifolds to run by the GPU, CPU, Video Card Memory, and the Northbridge in parallel.

Currently the system gets down to 8-9C, but within 30 minutes after I begin benching or running intense applications, I see my highest temps of 22-23C temps on the cold side. That is still much better than the 33-34C temps I saw with just watercooling, but it is not the 13C target I am aiming for.

BTW: I have also ordered three Maxijet 1200’s, rated at 300 GPH + ($18.00 ea).

So, I believe I want to order two or three of these water chiller assemblies.

Should I expect a compressor assby. like this to cool better than , say, a 224W peltier properly cooled? I have no way to quantify how much cooling I should expect compared to pelts. This is my main question for you experts.

Next, do I add these in series just after the last radiator on the hot loop to further lower the hot sides of the pelts? Or would I have enough chilling in two of these suckers to simply run them in series on the cold loop and do away with the inefficient pelts altogether?

Ideally I want to be able to keep my system at 13C 24/7 (full load), with the overhead ability to get down to 0-5C on the cold loop for benching. I also plan to add a swifty T-50 to the GPU, and perhaps another peltblock on the GPU in the near future, so it is important for me to have the cooling overhead to get rid of the 300W of peltier heat too…

Suggestions and input is greatly appreciated!
    Latest: Asus K8n4-e Delux, Mobile 3400 with 1 Mg cache, 754 PCI-E goodness, 7800GT. Four other AMD rigs and a Dell notebook.

Tweaked!
    Just off the top, but the compressor in the unit from that link says 1/12th hp compressor. I'll have more input later

Xtreme Member

U R Right Tweaked!

I called and had a technician at the reseller verify specifications, and this is indeed a 1/12 HP unit. He says it pulls at 1.5 Amps.

Sounds small. But being new to phase change I really have nothing to quantify it against. I do know that things that sound too good to be true usually are.

I still wonder though if this could help my system. Heck, I'd have to pay $40.00 for a pelt alone....

Xtreme Addict
    first of that is a great buy..
    frieght will get you a little but still good buy.
    i am have seen simerlar units and they are low noise.i believe it will do what you want pretty easy.it should keep you at 0 to 5c temps with a load if you set it up right.as long as you dont use the pelts.a coulple of pelts running in the unit and it will barely keep it below 15c proberly.
    that unit is alot smaller than it looks.it will work in a room without making a lot of noise i believe.

its cheap enough i almost would take one if i didnt have close to 6 or 7 units laying all around anyway.

Xtreme Member

Bowman...will they be powerful enough?

Thanks Bowman.

Do you think at 1/12 HP one unit would be powerful enough to cool all seven of my blocks???

I actually thought of getting two units too, and run them in series or on parallel loops (One would go CPU/NB/Return, the other would go GPU/Memory/Return.)

Has anyone used a tiny compressor like these?

And I did notice how dimensionally small these were. Kinda cool (no pun intended....well, yeah, pun intended).

Xtreme Addict
    well since i have seen some of your creations,
    you better get two of them.you have lots of heat to remove.