Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does this look? Thoughts on components..

Xtreme Member

How does this look? Thoughts on components..

Hi there, new to watercooling here but I've been lurking for a while, picking up tips, etc and have decided to try my first attempt at WC.

I have an Antec P160 case that I will be using for this build. Currently it will be cooling a A64 3200+ that I will be overclocking. On air I've had it up to 2.5ghz but temps were getting too warm for me so that's where I stopped. I think she has a lot more in her. Video card is currently an X850pro with all pipes unlocked.

I plan on upgrading to an Opty 170 and a if a trade goes through a DFI mb and then purchase an X1900XT or X1950XT so this build needs to support cooling those items. I doubt I will ever go SLI or Crossfire as I don't game that much.

My original goal was to keep everything inside the case however with the heatload I will be creating with the overclocking and space constraints I have come to the thought that I will need to put some part of this stuff outside the case. With that thinking in mind I've decided to use a Swiftech MCR320 radiator mounted in the top of the case and have a custom made shroud and 3 fans (either yate loon or panaflows) mounted outside the top to pull air through the radiator.

Now before everyone tells me that Thermochills are a better radiator, yes I know they are however they are too thick to fit in the top of my case and mounting a radiator outside the case is out of the question for me. And yes, even a PA120.2 is too thick to mount up in the top. The powersupply inhibits the mounting of it.

That said, here is my list of parts so far...

Swiftech MCR320 with either yate loons or panaflows for cooling
    Liang DDC+ with Petras top
    Swiftech MicroRes
    Masterclear 7/16 tubing

I have no idea what blocks I will be using. I'm looking for suggestions for both CPU block and GPU block. I would prefer that the GPU block could be used on both my X850 and the X1900/X1950 I will eventually buy.

Loop routing is planned to be Pump>Rad>CPU>GPU>RES

Is that good?

Attached is a rough draft of component placement.

Thanks!!

Xtreme Guru
    No i think you have it backwards lol you want it resovoir>pump>cpu>gpu>rad

Whatever uses less tubing is what I've always been told...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    No i think you have it backwards lol you want it resovoir>pump>cpu>gpu>rad
    It doesn't matter, temperature in the loop will be mostly the same all around.

However, I would suggest connecting the outlet of the pump to one of the intakes of the blocks.
    x6.wickeD

Xtreme Guru

theres a good idea of how it should be, you want it to draw cold water frmo the resovoir first, down thru the pump, up into the CPU -> GPU then into the rad to get a cool down and back down to the pump, and so on.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksterr
    It doesn't matter, temperature in the loop will be mostly the same all around.

However, I would suggest connecting the outlet of the pump to one of the intakes of the blocks.
    Right now he has the pump pushing into the rad and then out to the cpu, which isnt correct as far as im concerned, the radiator should be after the water gets heated from the CPU and GPU blocks.

Xtreme Member
    CPU Block:

Swiftech Apogee GT - Good Bang Per Buck, Better on Current Quad Cores than Storm

Swiftech Storm - Best block for IHS less CPU's, Not As Good on Current Quad Cores

D-Tek Fuzion - Arguably the Best for Current Gen Quad Cores, Lowest Restriction, Medium Price

GPU Block:

Swiftech MCW60 - IMO the best option, coupled with RAM sinks. As currently its the most versatile, allowing you to transition through different blocks, without fear.

CPU blocks are in no particular order, the majority of decisions are based upon preferance, and price. My favorite amongst the three? The Apogee GT, this is due in part to my inability to justify spending more on a few degrees. However that is your choice.

*edited* - read quote wrong
    Bhag is right.
    put the loop in the order that uses the least amount of tubing.
    currently you have your loop doubling back on its self which is bad.

Generally speaking i always make the CPU block the first thing in my loop after the pump. this is because most of the CPU blocks on the market today benefit from the higher pressure coming straight out of the pump as most blocks are designed to have water directed into the centre of the block, above the centre of the chip.

like this:
    Res feeding pump> CPU > GPU > Rad > Back to res

With your particular layout it may be more suitable to cool the GPU first.
    like this:

Res feeding pump> GPU> CPU> RAD> back to Res

Rick

Xtreme Member
    Ok, I've revised the routing of tubes and the flow of things. Now it is setup to go Pump>GPU>CPU>Rad>Res>Pump

From what I've read so far the diff between doing cpu first vs gpu first is like .5c so it's not that big of a deal for me. And it simplifies the routing. Your thoughts?

Lurid, thanks for your thought on blocks. So far the MCW60 looks good for GPU as it'll allow me to use it on future cards easily.

I'm not running Intel as I'm an AMD fan and don't really feel like upgrading my mb, ram, etc. I'm trying to get all I can out of socket 939 for at least another year and even at that point I'll probably stick with AMD. I like the underdog. So maybe the new D-Tek Fusion block?

Xtreme Guru
    your selected wc gear looks good to me so far, i gess that you are in a budjet ( not seeing thermochill rad there )

well you seem to be seeking a gpu block. i had swiftech mwc60, and i got to say that it was a really good block. temps with oc:ed gf7800gt were 30c in idle and load 33c.

and i whould put you loop like this: pump>rad>cpu>gpu>res
    Last edited by Solarfall; 01-22-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tommithy
    Ok, I've revised the routing of tubes and the flow of things. Now it is setup to go Pump>GPU>CPU>Rad>Res>Pump

From what I've read so far the diff between doing cpu first vs gpu first is like .5c so it's not that big of a deal for me. And it simplifies the routing. Your thoughts?

Lurid, thanks for your thought on blocks. So far the MCW60 looks good for GPU as it'll allow me to use it on future cards easily.

I'm not running Intel as I'm an AMD fan and don't really feel like upgrading my mb, ram, etc. I'm trying to get all I can out of socket 939 for at least another year and even at that point I'll probably stick with AMD. I like the underdog. So maybe the new D-Tek Fusion block?

Much Much better, that way will be more efficient in cooling, although personal preference for me would be to have the coolest water headed to the CPU first, then the GPU, seeing has how the CPU would need the cooler water first more then the GPU, if you can rig the hoses that way that would prolly be the best way, but if space and size dictates that you need the GPU first, it will work fine that way.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfall
    your selected wc gear looks good to me so far, i gess that you are in a budjet ( not seeing thermochill rad there )

well you seem to be seeking a gpu block. i had swiftech mwc60, and i got to say that it was a really good block. temps with oc:ed gf7800gt were 30c in idle and load 33c.

and i whould put you loop like this: pump>rad>cpu>gpu>res
    I'm sort of on a budget. Parts are being bought slowly. I did put in my original post my thoughts on the Thermochill rads. I'd like one but the rad MUST go in the case. A PA120.2 will not fit as my powersupply is in the way and anything smaller then that is too small for what I want to do.

The MCW60 seems to be the most recommended one for GPU so that will probably be my choice.

Just to confirm that your PSU really fits in there height wise.

I like the routing, except that, like others, I would be more comfortable with pump to cpu and then gpu.

Otherwise, it looks good. Good luck!

Xtreme Guru
    well you could make it fit quite nicelly on the top of your case
    did it with my stacker:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY
    Just to confirm that your PSU really fits in there height wise.

I like the routing, except that, like others, I would be more comfortable with pump to cpu and then gpu.

Otherwise, it looks good. Good luck!

I have exactly 57 mm between the top of the power supply and the top of the case. Unfortunately the Thermochill rads are 59 mm. OTOH the MCR320 is 34mm so it will fit. I think realistically a Thermo PA120.2 would do the job I'm going to hand it but since it won't fit inside the case I chose the next best thing which does fit. As it stands now I'll end up putting the fans on the outside of the case with a custom shroud pulling air through the radiator from inside the case. The ambient temp inside my case now is about 29c even running an OC'd cpu and vid card (yeah, the P160 has really good airflow) so I'm not too concerned about air temp going into the rad as I'll be removing most of the heat generating items from the case by going water thus lowering the ambient temps in the case and making for nice cool airflow up through the rad.

I'll have to give the routing some thought once I have all of the parts in hand.

Xtreme Member
    well you could make it fit quite nicelly on the top of your case
    did it with my stacker:

Your setup looks nice but I really want everything inside my case. I'm having to compromise as it is by mounting fans outside the case.

If you want an expert opinion.......see: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=119699

11) How should the water flow in my loop? Pump -> Radiator -> Chipset 1 & 2 -> GPU 1 & 2 -> Reservoir? or _________________?????

posted by Atomicpineapple: Loop order makes no difference as long as your resevoir/tline is before your pump. Overall water temp difference around a well balanced WC loop is less than 1 Deg C.

posted by MaxxxRacer: Loop order is something that almost always confused people that are new to watercooling. So here is a general rule to follow. Pump>Radiator>CPU>GPU(if implemented)>NB(if implemented)>Reservoir. This is the most efficient way of setting up your system. But there are a few exceptions to this general rule. First, is that it is generally better to have the shortest amount of tubing with the least amount of bends in it. So that means if it takes a lot of tubing or some 90 degree bends to get the loop order that I just suggested, don’t do it. Figure out a way to have it where these bends and extra tubing are not need. But there is one rule of order that you must never break. That is to have the reservoir right before the pump. If you do not follow this rule it will guaranteed hurt the performance of the system and cause the pump to be starved for water. One more thing to keep in mind is to NEVER use 90 degree bent barbs in your system. They are absolute and total flow killers. Using them will most surely hurt your performance.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot
    If you want an expert opinion.......see: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=119699

11) How should the water flow in my loop? Pump -> Radiator -> Chipset 1 & 2 -> GPU 1 & 2 -> Reservoir? or _________________?????

posted by Atomicpineapple: Loop order makes no difference as long as your resevoir/tline is before your pump. Overall water temp difference around a well balanced WC loop is less than 1 Deg C.

posted by MaxxxRacer: Loop order is something that almost always confused people that are new to watercooling. So here is a general rule to follow. Pump>Radiator>CPU>GPU(if implemented)>NB(if implemented)>Reservoir. This is the most efficient way of setting up your system. But there are a few exceptions to this general rule. First, is that it is generally better to have the shortest amount of tubing with the least amount of bends in it. So that means if it takes a lot of tubing or some 90 degree bends to get the loop order that I just suggested, don’t do it. Figure out a way to have it where these bends and extra tubing are not need. But there is one rule of order that you must never break. That is to have the reservoir right before the pump. If you do not follow this rule it will guaranteed hurt the performance of the system and cause the pump to be starved for water. One more thing to keep in mind is to NEVER use 90 degree bent barbs in your system. They are absolute and total flow killers. Using them will most surely hurt your performance.
    Yep, I've read that sticky as well as many others. Very good info. The latest mock up I've posted seems to follow the rules of least amount of tubing with least amount of tight bends and based upon what atomic pineapple says the overall temp difference between different routing is only 1c. I can deal with that.

I think I've probably got the routing worked out. Now I just need a CPU block and of course any other tips that you fine folks may want to offer!

Xtreme Guru
    Why would you pump cold water into the radiator first?

Xtreme Cruncher
    WTF are you talking about??? omfg did your brain leak out your nose during an egyptian mummification process? The water IS NOT COLD WHEN IT GOES TO THE RADIATOR!!! If the water passes through the block it will become "hot" (actually the temperature will only increase by a tiny bit, unless you have a thermaltake pump lol) and that heat will not go away until it hits a heat exchanger!!! This is a CLOSED loop!!!
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    Why would you pump cold water into the radiator first?

I'm not sure what you mean. The water going INTO the radiator would be hot as it just came from the CPU block. How is that cold water into the radiator?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tommithy
    I'm not sure what you mean. The water going INTO the radiator would be hot as it just came from the CPU block. How is that cold water into the radiator?
    i'm sure he is just having a serious brainfart or something. just ignore it.

Xtreme Member
    i'm sure he is just having a serious brainfart or something. just ignore it.
    Ahhh.. I was wondering... lol

I am Xtreme
    My order is..

Res -> Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU -> Back to Res. Works fine
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

mine is res>DDC ultra>PA120.2>Storm.....works great.
    If you go from pump to cpu block pump may add very slight heat to coolant......order will only change temp by 1 degree or so anyway.
    Last edited by Lancelot; 01-23-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast